close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bushnell 3200 vs Leupold VX-I

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by cruiserman, Aug 28, 2004.

1. cruiserman

cruiserman

I'm going to replace the Weaver 4x scope on my Ruger M77. My budget is ~$200, and I've looked at the Bushnell Elite 3200 and the Leupold VX-I. Both are 3x9-40mm.

The salesguy at Sportsman's recommends the Leupold over the Bushnell. He talked up the "non-critical eye relief", but it didn't seem any different from the Bushnell. The Bushnell seemed to be brighter, and I like the matte finish better, but I have very little experience with scopes.

Which scope is preferred of these 2?

I was interested in the 2x7 Bushnell, but it only comes with 32mm objective, which seems small. The 3x9-50mm seems like it would be too large. I only tried the 40mm scopes.

thx, eric

2. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

I prefer the Leupold. The Bushnell is more likely to fall apart when it gets beaten up in the field. For target shooting only the Elite 3200 is fine.
    Also, you might wanna consider a Burris.

3. muddydog

muddydog

i have 3 - 3200 elites and they have EXCELLENT glass..and have taken some severe punishment.

the VX1 is a low end model...

the 3200 series is a quality scope on par with the VXII and Burris glass. alot more glass than what you'd pay for. clarity is amazing.

my buddies and I played around with several scopes when i bought my first 3200 (1.5x4.5) testing them out at a friends house next to some timber and we all agreed that it was just as clear as my VXII's and my friends VXIII.

the firefly reticles rock...

call chris at SWFA optics..he is a helluva guy and his advice has helped me tremendously in the past on scope issues.

they can fit you with a firefly 3x9x40 for under 200.

leupold is severely cheapening its lowend stuff..anyone look at the reticle adjustments on the new rifleman series.. 1/2 MOA adjustments instead of 1/4...damn.

you get some substantial warranties as well now with the B&L glass.
    such as trying it for 1 year and sending it in....for a full refund it you dont like it.

i have (older)redfield, simmons, leupold and B&L 3200 scopes in the house right now. some of the simmons stuff are pretty good for the price..most of the (high end)leupold stuff is alright..burris makes really good stuff, i have shoot several scopes on pistols and rifles and would buy them in a heartbeat.

4. cruiserman

cruiserman

This deal on a Burris Fullfield II w/spotting scope @ Natchez seems very good. The scope itself is $180 or $190 (w/ballistic plex).

I'll check out the Burris, too.

I noticed the 1 year money back from Bushnell. The salesman said Leupold's warranty turn-around is very fast, and Bushnell would take much longer.

5. muddydog

muddydog

how many people do you know that have ever had to send a high dollar scope back for service.

i do not KNOW an individual personally who has ever sent in a malfunctioning high quality scope. i know some people have, but i'm been around serious riflemen (hunters and comp shooters) my whole life and the only ones i know that have ever sent a scope back..were for reticle change outs...when newer reticles came out or eyes changed.

call chris at SWFA..

i saw the burris w/ ballistic plex..
    they are trying to shove those out the door everywhere..

i wonder why...if they were that good..every retailer wouldnt be giving away a spotting scope(either that or no one is buying the spotting scopes) with them for under $200.

obviously the B. Plex reticle isnt selling on its own.

i would love to have the electo dot plex scope though....hehe

6. cruiserman

cruiserman

I didn't buy the warranty line either. The VX-I appears to have friction adjustments rather than click style. Not keen on that.

Any opinion on the Simmons Whitetail Expedition? I noticed SWFA has a Simmons 3x9-42 on closeout @ $120. The adjustable objective model can be had for $150. The description says "you will not find a better scope for the money...GUARANTEED!" :)

I'd hate to buy a scope sight unseen, so to speak, but the price is very right.

7. muddydog

muddydog

its better glass than the whitetail classic and i have 2 of them around here.

the whitetail classic is darn good glass for around $100. they were more expensive before they went to a model change.

simmons sells themselves alot and they change out their models more often...so they have alot more closeouts.

i think thats a good deal.

but i'd think hard about tossing some extra gida and getting a 3200, if it were me.

8. MI10mm

MI10mm

A friend sent a VX II 3-9x40 Leupold back to the factory because the adjustments wouldn't work, so there can be a few problems with any scope. I just sold a VX II Leupold that I had replaced with an Elite 3200 3-9x40. No comparison as far as optics. The VX I friction adjustments are a poor excuse for windage/elevation adjustments. YMMV, but this is what I prefer as far as optics.

9. cruiserman

cruiserman

OK, I've narrowed it down to a Bushnell 3200 Elite w/Firefly or a Burris Fullfield II. Both 3x9-40.

I'm leaning towards the Bushnell due to Firefly reticle & the rainguard feature, but the Burris has some nice construction features that make me think it will last in the field. Burris has the optional ballistic plex reticle, which sounds nice, but I don't know if it's worth paying for. Bushnell with firefly is only available in matte.

Burris is cheaper than Bushnell. If I order from SWFA, the Bushnell w/Firefly (plus flashlight & bag) is $229; w/standard reticle it's $199. $206 w/Firefly & no goodies from another site.

Burris is $185 (gloss) or $188 (matte).

Which to get?

Any difference in durability of matte vs gloss?

thanks, eric

10. muddydog

muddydog

call natchez...the 3200's are cheaper..POR..from them

11. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

12. muddydog

muddydog

redfields quality took a noise dive after they sold out..and started making the tracker series.

13. cruiserman

cruiserman

I ordered a Bushnell Elite 3200 with Firefly from Natchez over the phone for $177. Pretty annoying you have to call to get the decent price.

14. AR15'em

AR15'em Roll Tide??

How is the Bushnell more likely to fall apart?? I have an Elite 3200 and Elite 4200, and I have yet to experience any problems with either scope. Matter of fact, I have never had any problems with any of theBushnell I have owned, so I would like to know what experiences you are referring to.

The Elite series are excellent scopes, and are definitely better than the low grade Leupolds. I have tried both the VXI and Rifleman series of scopes, and they are just overpriced entry-grade scopes. You are mainly paying for the Leupold name. You made the right choice going with the 3200!

15. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Just telling my experience. Believe it or not. Maybe I got lemmons, or maybe they are not built for heavy duty. I had two Bushnells falling apart, one could not stand the 338mag recoil, the other one was beaten up on a truck on a South Africa Safari trip. (When chasing game and the vehicle races offroad, you have hard time remaining on the truckbed, being thrown all over the place with the gun & scope crashing against metal stuff...)
    The Burris and Kahles on the other guns, which were slammed as well, proofed to be rock solid.

16. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The Fullfield is nice for 100 yards.

But I prefer bigger scopes for 200-300 yard shots!

Lots of AR-15 folks do also like the Bush 3200 too.

17. muddydog

muddydog

so a 3x9x40 scope is only good for 100 yards..

huh...

methinks...something is odd..
    just a hunch though.