Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about picking an AR up soon, I'm thinking about the S&W MOE or the Bushmaster MOE. Which would be the better riffle?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Toe-MAY-toe, toh-mah-toh.

Both are decent pieces, neither have a great ranking amongst afficionados. Either will be fine for range use, coyote hunting, and GP fun plinking. If you're going to be betting your life on it, I'd recommend making sure that the gas key is staked well and put a few hundred rounds of whatever you're going to shoot through it to make sure that its solid and reliable.

Byrdman

·
Banned
3,447 Posts
S&W is better than the BM. I do believe BM stands for bawl movement. With a $900 - $1000 price tag the BM MOE is a crime. You can easily have a BCM for that price and not have to worry if things are assembled correctly or if its reliable, you'll know it is.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
"I'd recommend making sure that the gas key is staked well"

Byrdman
I'm new to the AR world and contemplating which one as well. Would explain why and how when it comes to the gas key?

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,447 Posts
I'm new to the AR world and contemplating which one as well. Would explain why and how when it comes to the gas key?

Thanks.
The best way is to go w/ an AR from a manufaturer that is known for putting out quality firearms every single time. You shouldnt have to worry if your gas key or whatever is assembled correctly. Try a manufacturer like LMT, BCM, Daniel Defence, Colt, KAC, etc. In the long run youre not saving yourself any money by going w/ a BM

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The best way is to go w/ an AR from a manufaturer that is known for putting out quality firearms every single time. You shouldnt have to worry if your gas key or whatever is assembled correctly. Try a manufacturer like LMT, BCM, Daniel Defence, Colt, KAC, etc. In the long run youre not saving yourself any money by going w/ a BM
I keep hearing about how good BCM is. How do I know who's really good and who's not? It's weird because when it comes to pistols I don't feel so uneducated. I've been thing about the BCM or DD but mist people have never heard of them.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have the M&P15 MOE, it's been great for me, but I don't run it "hard" (usually 150-200 rounds once or twice a month). I think that the S&W is better built, has better customer service and has more quality components/features compared to the BM.

I see you're in Texas, you might want to check out the Bushmaster Texas from GT's, it has some of the features typically missing in Bushmasters. namely staked carrier key screws, M4 feed cuts and staked castle nut.

The only problem with this price range is you're only about $200 shy from the basic models in the upper tier from DD, BCM, even Colt. But then again you have about $100+ in goodies on the MOE (MBUIS, handguard, grip, etc).

Edit: you can google "AR15 chart", it's rather infamous but is a good reference point.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Does Bushmaster or S&W have a lifetime warranty?

Stag Arms does. All 3 are all mid tier guns. I figured if all 3 are the same and the only difference was a lifetime warranty vs 1 or 2 year...my money went with Stag.

If you must only pick between the 2 mentioned...I'd get the M&P solely based on personal preference. (It would look good along side my M&P40 handgun lol)

·
Glock talker
948 Posts
Does Bushmaster or S&W have a lifetime warranty?
Stag Arms does. All 3 are all mid tier guns. I figured if all 3 are the same and the only difference was a lifetime warranty vs 1 or 2 year...my money went with Stag.
Chevy or Ford?

...Toyota.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Change of plan I think I might go with the colt 6920 how are these rifles.
Colt is as good as it gets. That said, I prefer midlength and that's the sole reason I don't own one. Take a look at BCM, Daniel Defense, and Noveske. All just as good as Colt(IMO) and offer a much broader array of configurations.

·
Banned
3,447 Posts
I keep hearing about how good BCM is. How do I know who's really good and who's not? It's weird because when it comes to pistols I don't feel so uneducated. I've been thing about the BCM or DD but mist people have never heard of them.
Check out M4carbine.net. Its a site made up of mostly professional guys who use ARs in their daily routine.

Most people havent heard of them? Who are the people you're asking? The two guys from the new Gieco commercial? You know the ones where the two guys are living under a rock? Staying out of the gun stores when searching for advice has been a good rule for me.

Seriously though BCM and DD are both great. So are the others I mentioned in my above post.

Ill add that Spikes is making some nice ARs woth looking at as well.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Change of plan I think I might go with the colt 6920 how are these rifles.
You won't regret buying one. I think the Daniel Defense M4 XV is it's closest competition since it has the same features and basically the same price. The DD has better customer service (if you ever need it) and a better trigger and a couple small upgrades (enhanced magwel and magpul stock). The Colt has the prestige of being not only built to mil-spec but also being a military equipment provider and the closest thing a civilian can own to an M4 (the only difference is a 1.5" longer barrel and semi-auto only). The Colt has the classic removable rear carry handle whereas the DD has a A1.5 rear sight.

I think those are the two best choices at the 1,200 mark. Just decide if you want the classic Colt or the equal quality new kid on the block.

Be careful though, you could easily talk yourself into spending an extra $300 on the 6940 or a Daniel Defense M4 V4.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
To answer your first question, I would pick the S&W over the Bushmaster. Both will probably serve most recreational shooters well. However with low pricing right now and as others have mentioned, you can get into a top quality rifle for very cheap. This is a good time to spend the extra $200 for literally hundreds more in parts quality.
what advantages are ther on the 6940 over the 6920?
Colt is one of the best rifles out there. Many consider it the best or the gold standard. I have a hard time arguing that. I own both a 6920 and a 6940 both in stock configuration. My 6940 is a bit more accurate which is probably related to the free float barrel and handguards. Which is also one of the things I dislike about the 6940. I prefer a bit more rail space and changing that on the 6940 is going to be an effort and cost. Moreso than the 6920. I also do not care for the factory sights on the 6940. So for myself, I prefer the 6920 as it is more easily configured to a shooters own tastes. But this really is personal preference. Some find no need to change anything on the 6940.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You are getting good advice in this thread.

in no particular order: LMT, BCM, Noveske, DD, Colt are all quality AR's. I would suggest you get a midlength gas system. So that eliminates LMT and Colt, but if you do get a carbine length gas system consider them aswell.

As for Spikes, I have no direct experience with them so take this with a grain of salt. I would look elsewhere, only because their owner has played fast and loose with quality claims in the past. They seem to be making a quality product now, but I choose not to do business with them. There are so many options these days.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts