Bushmaster mag or magpul PMAG

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Soviet937, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Soviet937

Soviet937

Im going to be buying about 10 or 12 magazines and was wondering which one would be a little better to go with. i dont want to mix them cause im funny about stuff like that. my M4 is a bushmaster as well. but I those PMAGS are all the rage kinda, or would factory mags still be a better route to go. the price of the factory mags are just 5.00 more than the magpuls.

2. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I'd go with Pmags if they're cheaper.

They're the best mag you can buy, although not the cheapest.

3. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

P-MAG's tough and reliable.

4. vafish

vafish

I really like my P-mags.

But my only concern with them is the long term stability of the plastic. I just don't know how it will hold up 30 years from now. I do know the GI Aluminum mags will be just fine 30 years from now.

So I split my mag purchases up 50/50 P-Mag and GI Mag.

5. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

6. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

PMags all the way. The Bushy mags (I have a few) are just overpriced GI mags more or less.

7. rjrivero

rjrivero

I don't know about that. Aluminum mags will flex and fail as they get used. The feed lips, are just weak. The follower tilts and can cause jams when the springs are cycled too much.

When they get dropped, they will ding and cause issues there too. Pmags are great mags. They will have springs that fatigue as well, but the followers are superior. The lips are not as susceptible to fatigue as the aluminum ones are. And a bonus for longer term storage the dust cover pushes down on the rounds to relieve pressure from the mag lips. They aren't necessary, but it's good insurance.

You can get Pmags for about $14-16 each if you buy them 10 at a time.

8. smullen

smullen

+1 (or whatever we're up too)

I agree with the above... I already had 20+ standard GI mags but I ordered a dozen plus Pmags when they started getting hard to get just to try them out and have some of each... Pmags look Tacti-cooler, but I don't know about their longevity...

9. Jon_R

Jon_R

I like P-Mags but I also like Bronwells Mags. $10-$12 per. I have a varried collection of lots of different mags. None have given me any trouble to include C-Products and AR Stoner Mags.

Never tried bushmaster mags I doubt they are any better then the others I have above.

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

11. Soviet937

Soviet937

I think PMAG wins. I normally would figure that factory would be better since, my M4 is a bushy, but ill take everyones word for it.

12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

If you use them consistantly, I doubt the aluminum mags will be around in 30 years.

They're very susceptible to damage, and dents. As far as the polymer holding up, I don't understand why people are always crying about it. We're not seeing Glocks, or H&K's breaking because they're old.

13. Jon_R

Jon_R

If you have certain pouches you like check them with pmags. Pmags don't fit in all pouches usgi ones do. About the only drawback to them.

14. KK40384

KK40384

15. djegators

djegators

I have found no reason NOT to use PMAGS. They are tough, reliable, reasonably priced, and look great.

16. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I have Pmags, Lancers, Tangodowns, and Fusils (steel). Out of all of them, the two I keep coming back to are the Pmags and Lancers. I just picked up the tangodowns, so I have yet to really see how they do.

17. vafish

vafish

I don't constantly use all my mags. Some are stashed away just in case. A semi auto rifle without a functioning magazine is just a single shot.

And like I said I don't know about the polymer in the p-mags so I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket. I've seen plenty of 30-40 year old polymers crack easily. Sure the P-Mags are made out of a different formula, but only time is going to tell how long they will last. By the time they start failing it may be too late to replace them.

I think it would really suck to get 30 years down the road after some future ban that prevents me from buying more magazines and have my huge stash of P-Mags start crumbling to dust and my AR15's now be single shots because I didn't bother to keep any GI mags around.

I have P-Mags, I love them, but I don't see any logical reason to have only P-Mags in my gear pile. So I will continue to buy both P-Mags and GI mags.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  18. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

P mags all the way. I am not sure who makes Bushmasters mags. The only GI style mags I use are Brownells mags with Magpul followers and base plates.

P Mags are far more versatile as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. crazypilot

crazypilot ERAU Alumni '05

Definitely PMags. However, it does not hurt to have a mix of each. If you get metal mags, I'd change the followers to Magpul followers.

20. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

Both seem to be good mags. If PMAG's are holding up in the sand box, they should be fine state side.