Bushmaster AR15 Question

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by obiestreasures, Mar 9, 2010.

1. obiestreasures

obiestreasures

I have a question about getting a Bushmaster AR 15 A-3 , the gun shop I want to get it from said he can get a a Bushmaster AR15 A-3 which will fire both 223 and 5.56 rounds from the same firearm and it will handle both rounds with no trouble. The A-3 is the model with the detachable handle? I was at two gun shows this week end and not one gun dealer had any Bushmaster a-3's in stock. Now the gun shop I deal with said he can get me the Bushmaster AR15 A-3 (BMBC WA 3s-16-20) for $939. Iam looking for advice and see what you think of this information. Iam a GLOCK guy but would like to add a AR15 to the herd...
    Thanks
    Ron

2. djegators

djegators

If you are new to ARs, then slow down. Do lots of homework, and study the options and brands available. Your opinion of what you want and need will change a lot. Read this forum, and a few dedicated AR ones as well.

3. Truckee

Truckee Aging Goat

hey Obie,

I'm gona try not to be a brand snob. If you want a BM, go for it. That said, for the price you're quoting, you're in the BCM price range. Save a few bucks more, and you're in the Colt, LMT range. These three mentioned rifles are miles ahead of a BM, IMO.

I have a BM XM-15 E2S, patrolman's carbine. The rifle has been vamped up, and its okay. But, it will never ride for duty use.

The A3 is the removable carry handle. Remove the carry handle and you'll be adding a rear BUIS. The XM-15 is 5.56 / .223 chambered.

4. djegators

djegators

Truckee is righ, and in that "few bucks more" category, you are not far from a basic Noveske as well. For me, would rather pay more for the rifle I really want, and can have for a lifetime, then settle for an "OK" one.

5. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Nothing wrong with the Bushmaster. I've had it for two years, run it through several training classes during the year, plus qualifications and regular plinking.

Gun "snobbery" usually runs very rampant.

6. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

I own a Bushmaster with a 16" heavy barrel. Great rifle.

:thumbsup:

7. Achped

Achped

While I'm sure a BCM, Colt, etc are better than Bushmaster, I have had a Bushmaster for a year now, and never had any problems what so ever.

8. Truckee

Truckee Aging Goat

There is a lot of brand snobbery around, agreed. So much so that I've never posted my experience with 'my' BM, preferring to just leave it alone. But and today... here goes.

BM is an okay rifle. As with all mfgs, there are good products and better coming off of the same line.

"My" BM had many f2feeds in the early days and broke a bolt (disclaimer: BM customer service is in the tops). The bolt was replaced using a BCM with other tweeks and upgrades made, to the sum of a couple of hundred bucks.

My LMT (every day carry) and my Colts on the other hand, have not been the first problem from the box. I've run the LMT until the rail covers smoked, not a hitch, not one; the Colts, likewise.

This is not brand snobbery, this is 'my' experience. My rifles are for work, not for plinking at the dump, they must be up to the tasks.

9. X-Spec

X-Spec

Lots of good info. here.
    But I think one of the main factors in deciding which AR to buy is chamber size.
    Whatever you do make sure the AR you buy has a chamber sized in 5.56 and not .223. This will give you the option of using either 5.56 or .223.
    If you get a AR chambered in .223 then you shouldn't run 5.56.
    Looks like the bushmasters are chambered in 5.56 according to there website.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  10. Glockdude1

What AR-15 today, is chambered ONLY for .223?

:headscratch:

11. gsr

gsr

Some DPMS heavy barrel models are .223 only.

12. X-Spec

X-Spec

I have seen several. Mostly the lower price units.

13. Glockdude1

Which ones exactly?

14. X-Spec

X-Spec

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  15. furioso2112

furioso2112

Aren't many of the 'space rifles' and other long-range competition-only designated rifles .223?

16. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

This is my Bushmaster Patrolman's rifle. Internally, all I've done is add the extractor upgrade. Externally I've added the Magpul CTR stock, MOE handguard (not in this picture), a First Samco G-27 grip (I have big hands), Eotech 512, Magpul ASP plate w/MS2 sling, stubby VFG and ElZetta light mount.

The rifle had functioned flawlessly. I've shot many thousands of rounds through it during LEO tactical courses, rifle courses, instructor courses, etc. I've done a lot more that "shoot at the dump".

Bushmaster had a bad rep for not staking their gas key on the bolt carriers. I believe they have taken care of that issue. Bushmasters are good rifles. If you feel the need to spend more money, have at it.

[​IMG]

17. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I've had three Bushmasters, but the majority of my AR15 time is on Colts. I do think Bushmaster is underrated. It is no Colt, but they have generally performed well for me. However, the bolts are not as good as Colt or BCM, and neither are the barrels. The more time I spend with AR15's, the more I see the extra few hundred dollars for a Colt as a relative bargain. I will say that BCM would be a good compromise though. I haven't seen nearly as many at the range and in classes, but the barrels and bolts are excellent and I don't remember ever seeing a BCM rifle with a problem.

18. X-Spec

X-Spec

Yes they are.

19. RUSH2112

RUSH2112 Big Member

BM is a fine AR but the problem they are dealing with is this - there is a newer breed of builders who offer more for less money, plain and simple, which has made BM (and DPMS and others) overpriced. They have two choices: lower the price, or raise their specs. They seem to have done neither yet.

There is NO better value right now than Spike's Tactical (don't think so? Go to their site and look at the quality and prices). S&W is also in BM price range yet offers more (better specs) for the money.

Again. nothing wrong with BM other than the price. It just makes no sense to pay more for less.
    Look at the DoubleStars on sale at Bud's for example. Fantastic rifle, and I have heard noone say otherwise, but they are priced right where they should be, considering their specs vs BCM, DD, Spike's, LMT.

If they were charging $900 people would be saying they're crap. That's what happens when something is overpriced.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  20. Randolph da man

Randolph da man

this ^

BM owners also ride mopeds and date fat chicks... your call...:whistling: