close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

burnt potatos

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by -, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Guest

I don't know why this keeps happening, but every time I try to cook baked potatos, they either end up burning on the outside and raw on the inside, or they partially explode! WHY DOES THE POTATO HATE ME? I have tried cutting off the ends, using salt, cooking at a lower temp, but to no avail! I think word got out about that nasty potato incident as a child......

2. SiBo

SiBo

I always bake mine in the microwave. Maybe not as fancy as a regular owen, but it works and taste great. I'm kinda curious about that potatoe incident btw. :)

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Salt, Pepper and Olive oil on the outside, wrap in foil and bake for an hour at 350...
    Turn off oven and let them sit in there for another 1/2 hour...

Don't cut the ends off because moisture will escape...

;c

4. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777 Team 9mmx19

Slice em up and put em in a frying pan. Add paprika and garlic salt and you have German Grumbeeren as we call them in the Pfalz...

5. metalrocks

metalrocks

I remember my parents using a special cooking nail that was used to transfer heat to the inside of the potato. This helped heat the inside portion instead of leaving it raw and the outside cooked normally.

Not usre if anyone else has heard of this or not. You may want to check with your local grocery store.

6. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

I always poke mine about 4-5 times around the circumference with a fork. 4 minutes in microwave, and just right!

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I have heard of the nail but I didn't realize it was "special". Wonder why can't you use a clean nail that you didn't just yank from a board?

8. SiBo

SiBo

Yep, that's right! I forgot to mention that you need to poke some holes in it!

9. Guest

Funny story...I was making hash, (potatoes sliced up with sausage) with my mother and she told me to peel and slice the potatos. She then proceeded to leave the kitchen, leaving me by myself. I took the first potato and started peeling away. Now mind you, they were wet and slippery after being washed off in the sink. I was happily peeling away when the dog barked, startled me and the potato squirted right out of my hands, through the open window and managed to hit the dog in the eye! (he was partially blinded by this incident!) This is no joke! The dog was sitting outside the kitchen window, which faced our backyard. I wasn't allowed to do potatos anymore as a kid after that one. ;T

10. CHEF-LOU

CHEF-LOU

At what temp are you cooking the potatoes? We use 400 in a commercial oven for approx 45min- 60min depending on the count (size). Use Russet potatoes or a starchy potato. Pierce the ends. The potato will yeild to slight pressure when done. Rubbing lightly with oil does crisp them. If you want them tender don't oil them. If you foil wrap them you are STEAMING them, NOT baking them as the texture will be different. Try doing them on the oven rack to eliminate the hard spot on the bottom of the potato. Also try not to let the potato set for more than 1 hour. Hope this helps.

11. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

Make sure your oven temperature is correct by inserting an oven thermometer.

Make sure your potato isn't too close to the bottom (heating element if electirc) or even the side walls of the oven.

CranialCrusader

12. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Have some patients;e Sit down and have a beer and mellllooowwww BOO.

If you use a microwave, stick those little suckers with a fork so they do not explode. If you use an oven (Works on an open fire pit also), warp them in foil, put in some Italian dressing and butter, or what ever floats your boat?? Always comes out good for me.