Burger King to sell beer.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Gallium, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

...and Russ asks, WHAT THE HECK IS THAT 'Drew drinking??? How does this tie in to carry issues?

I dunno. :supergrin: I was just thinking about those states that have laws against carrying/restrictions in places that serve booze for on-site consumption. I honestly don't remember WHICH ones now (I know one or two have the "51%" rule, and that VA requires open carry).

Does anyone here expect their state will be re-visiting pistol permit laws if for example BK does this on a broad national level?

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

I saw that news piece, too, and thought, "Now that needs to be brought up in Carry Issues!"

It will impact carriers, depending on their locations.

Thanks, Drew!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I can't see BK doing this nationally. But if it catches on, I'm looking forward to having a McAle with my Big Mac and fries. And definitely supersize that.

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

You're welcome sir. :cool:

I'm always hesitant to post stuff here, because there is usually more than one social perspective on the story (caliber corner? Civil liberties Forum? Furball :faint:? etc).

But I, like you, ruminated on this for a minute, and wondered which states "out there' have any booze served=no CC gun statutes.

For the folks who live in FL, or have recently read up on FL gun carrying statutes...(the trial run with BK is in Miami Beach, IIRC)...is there any law in FL about CC guns and booze served in food establishments?

thanks!
    'Drew

5. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

Thank goodness Arizona FINALLY passed "the bill".

I can now carry where alcohol is served, and don't have to worry whether or not it is, in any particular restaurant. (unless they have THE SIGN)

Even our local dirtbag movie theater (before it closed recently) started serving wine and beer.....couldn't even carry to a movie before this bill was passed.

I understand several establishments in the larger cities are posted, I've yet to find one in little Preskit that is.

(ps.....I don't drink)

6. KusoJijii

KusoJijii alegacy of fear

So, for those in states with no carry in establishments that serve alcohol, is the drive through an extension of the business that is off limits since the transaction takes place there?

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

One of the questions that popped in my head too! :cool:

8. Resqu2

Resqu2

It wouldn't be illegal in VA I don't think, here we can walk all the way to the door CCW'ing then do the VA tuck before we walk in so I can't see it being illegal as long as your in your car??

9. Jon_R

Jon_R

In FL you are not allowed to carry in the area of an establishment primarily dedicated to serving Alcohol for onsite consumption. Unless BK creates an area in the store with a bartender, bar top, and stools this should have no impact on carry in FL BKs. If they did that you would still be ok in the store except if you wanted to go sit at the bar. You can also carry and drink if you choose.

I am not sure I have ever been in a BK and thought I wish I could have a beer. If I am in the mood for a beer with my burger I would likely go somewhere else but they can try it and see if it works.

10. Jon_R

Jon_R

I would think those laws would state "inside the establishment" but I am not certain. I would not think the drive in window would be any different then the parking lot. Of course it might cut down on the people going in the store to complain because they forgot the fries in your bag. :)

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Fast food restaurants in other countries have been doing this forever. McDonald's in Germany was serving beer in Ronald McDonald cups in the 80's.

12. PeteCamp

PeteCamp

Wouldn't affect us here in Texas. Any place that derives 51% of its income from alcohol sales is deemed a "bar" and must have a sign posted stating the 51% nature of the place. No carrying there - ever.

Restaurants that serve alcohol, but do not make 51%, have the alcoholic beverage commission sign posted that warns of unlicensed carry. No problem carrying there. This is where the Burger Kings would fall.

They could post what is known here as a "30-06" sign if the private property owners choose to restrict carry on their property. Burger King probably wouldn't do so.

13. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Note portion in blue below....

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

That's really a crazy side effect when you think about it.. :rofl: DON'T GET CAUGHT SOBER SITTING AT THE BAR portion of the restaurant! Drunk CCWers sitting at the tables? Here's your permit and weapon, have a nice day...

The legislators try to finesse the alcohol/gun issue and nearly always end up making a mess of it. In MI, we have the psychic 51% rule, with businesses exempt from posting a notice telling you whether or not they're safe to carry in. We're left to guess what their food/alcohol sales ratios are.

Randy

15. Kith

Kith

It's good that they plan to do a "walk up" window. (not to spin this off in a diferent direction) I know if I drive around up here in PA with an open alcoholic beverage in my vehichle I would get into a lot of trouble. So they definitely couldn't serve beer through a drive-through window unless it was in a sealed container (not in the cups with straw lids.)

This idea could fly in PA because we aren't prohibited from carrying where alcohol is served.

16. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

Shouldn't have any impact on CCW in Burger Kings under MO law. I seriously doubt they will make more than 49% of their sales on beer. I think it is a stupid idea. We have lots better local beer joints for that. Plus what effect will this have on their help? I think you have to be 18 to sell beer in a store in MO. This could deny a lot of high school age kids a job.

17. Beeman

Beeman NRA MEMBER

Can't carry in an establishment that serves in Ohio so I drive the 15 minutes to Indiana and eat there.

18. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

Made a slight correction

19. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

So are we going to be seeing commercials of that creepy Burger King Guy peeking in peoples windows with a pitcher of beer now?

20. FL2NV

FL2NV

In most states you have to be at least 18 to serve alcohol, Nevada is 21..so how will that work with all the high school kids that work fast food?

Not to mention..

Served in specially designed aluminum bottles, a BK beer will sell for $4.25 alone.
    :wow: