Bump on the trigger bar of G23 G4

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glockblockclock, Jun 18, 2016.

1. glockblockclock

glockblockclock

I've seen pictures and videos online about the little bump on the trigger bar ( the part that disengages the firing pin safety ) of Glock 23 Gen 4. What is the purpose of this "bump" ? Does this bump or lump affects in any way G23 Gen 4 is dissembled for basic cleaning or the weight of the trigger pull ( I've seen a video online that it was a little bit hard to remove the slide from the frame ) ?

2. Mike-M

Mike-M

The length of the trigger bar bows slightly as pressure is applied to the trigger on all Glocks, which slightly alters the alignment of the trigger bar's firing pin safety arm under the firing pin safety above it in the slide. The bump on the trigger bar's firing pin safety arm ensures the proper left-to-right alignment of the firing pin safety arm under the firing pin safety as the trigger is pulled.

This same bump has always been on the trigger bars of 10mm, .45ACP, and .45GAP Glocks of all generations ever since the first ones were made more than 25 years ago. As such, putting it on Gen4 pistols of all calibers is more of a product improvement, rather than anything that was required by Gen4 pistols. The Gen4 trigger bar with bump will work as well in a pre-Gen4 pistol as it does in a Gen4 pistol.

However, the hue and cry of folks who thought this was some new and terrible change to Glock pistols that had just burped out for the first time in 2010 was amazing...apparently few knew that the TB bump had been in use for twenty years in the heavier caliber Glocks without any cries of doomsday ever being heard in 1990. :) I suspect that adverse reaction is the only reason that Glock continues to make Gen3 bumpless trigger bars for the smaller caliber pistols. Glock did, in fact, modify new Gen3 trigger bars and trigger mechanism housings to implement other improvements that were first implemented in the Gen4 pistols...like the trigger spring attachment points.

I have tried all combinations of OEM connectors with Gen4 and pre-Gen4 trigger bars in Gen4 and pre-Gen4 all-OEM pistols. I can detect at worst a small increase in required trigger pull of about 0.1-lbf or less. Somewhat imprecisely, I will say that I find the pull to be slightly smoother with a pre-Gen4 trigger bar.

OEM Gen4 pistols will have a trigger pull that is heavier by about 0.5-lbf for any specific connector than the equivalent pre-Gen4 pistol, but that is not due to the trigger bar bump. The pull will still be heavier if a pre-Gen4 trigger bar is installed. That's because the angle of the connector lip against which the rear of the trigger bar rides is very very slightly more to the vertical than if the same connector were installed in a pre-Gen4 pistol. Thus, the MINUS 4.5-lbf connector produces a 5.0-lbf pull in a Gen4 pistol. The early Gen4 pistols used the standard UNMARKED 5.5-lbf connector, but that caused a 6.0-lbf pull in a Gen4 pistol. So by 2011, Glock came out with the DOT connector which causes the standard 5.5-lbf pull in a Gen4 pistol...and a 5.0-lbf pull if put in a pre-Gen4 pistol.

The bump does not affect the assembly or disassembly of the pistol.

There have been many many BS myths about that terrible bump, with many attributing problems to it that are not possible...wishful thinking evidently by those who find or invent fault with any thing that is new. :)

3. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

What he said.

If it concerns you, you can polish the tip of the bump with 1500 wet dry, and put a thin film of grease inside the slide where the bump BARELY touches. I promise you'll never know it's there. Better yet, polish the part of the trigger bar that presses against the FPS, and the FPS, itself, with the same 1500 wet dry. That should eliminate any worries you have about the bump, and your gun is still intact the way Glock built it.

glockblockclock likes this.
  4. Cashgap

Cashgap

Also, the full-width, non-rotating firing pin safety of the Glock 42 and Glock 43 does not require a bump. The nose of the trigger bar can only contact the firing pin safety correctly, since it is full-width.

I suspect this firing pin safety, the coiled slide lock spring, the coil in the slide stop lever, and the two piece firing pin spring will be found in any truly new Glock models or in a "Gen 5", as they each advance the system.

5. pew_pew

pew_pew

I disagree about the weight of the gen 4 bar vs the gen 3. I put a gen 3 bar in my gen 4 and it lowered the weight .5lb. I agree that the bump isn't what's adding the half pound but it has to do with the geometry of where the spring connects.

This is confirmed with a trigger gauge. However it does make for a creepier pull. Similar to a minus connector vs a standard.

Glock triggers.com says the same thing regarding gen 3 vs gen 4 bars.

6. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

Currently, I'm running a smooth faced Gen 3 trigger shoe and bar in a gen 4 G26. I noticed a smoother pull without the gen 4 trigger bar's "bump." Not a huge difference, but a perceptible one.