close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bummer

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Vitals, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Vitals

Vitals

So I was starting to get excited because I was turned on to this local ammo loader who sells bulk ammo and does reloads. Load X in Santa Rosa CA.

When I went down there, they were closed. So today I called just to hear there message machine and hear the times. The owner Steve actually answered the phone so I asked him what he had in the way of 10mm and he only had one load @ $30 for 50 rounds. Not bad right. So then I begin to ask him a question about shipping costs because I saw a good deal on Georgia Arms but ..... before I could finish, he cuts me off and says "Then you should just order from them sir...have a nice day" and hangs up on me.

Here I was, ready to buy a lot of bulk ammo from him and the next thing I know he is cutting me off and telling me to spend my money somewhere else. Great business. Now I am forced to pay shipping if I want to get Bulk Ammo. :steamed:

2. wrecks24

wrecks24

His loss man, I can get it locally for 31.99 per 50. keep lookin around

3. CaneyCat

CaneyCat

Sounds like hes an ***.

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Vitals
    You should give some serious thought to learning to reload for yourself.
    You will find some very good information here in our own GT Reloading.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
    Here is a couple of good ones for getting started.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027887

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343188

I will state that I have never saved any money but I have shot 15 times the quality ammunition I would have otherwise, Just food for thought. SJ 40

5. sciolist

sciolist

Maybe the seller just doesn't like to be pressured on the phone. Some folks don't like to haggle.

6. Vitals

Vitals

Which I completely understand. But I has not looking to haggle what so ever, I was going to ask a question regarding shipping costs. I had already decided that I was going to purchase my ammo through him.

7. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  8. Stock.glock

Stock.glock

Yep look at underwood ammo. Some of the hottest 10mm you can buy and I think only $29 a box. The owner Kevin is super nice also. I buy all my self defense ammo from him with speer gold dots. Makes for a mean bullet in any of his calibers. His 135 grain .40 is ridiculous. I think it's 675 foot pounds of energy and he doesn't exaggerate on velocity from what I've seen. But anyway check out his 10mm

9. Vitals

Vitals

I just got off the phone with Kevin and I think i am going to buy 8 Boxes of the 180 TMJ in 10mm. I can't decide which round to get for my other 2 boxes though for self defense. He recommended Hollow Points for certain but do you have any recommendations?

Kevin is super nice and I didn't realise he was the owner. I am really glad that this worked out the way it did. I wouldnt want to give my business too that Joff down the road when I can get better loads, for a better price, from a much better guy.

10. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Bad tact to mention a competitor during conversations such as this.

11. Stock.glock

Stock.glock

I would recommend the 180 grain gold dot bonded bullet from him for self defense. With the kind of velocity his bullets have you really want a bonded bullet to prevent jacket separation. Although I love the gold dots in anything really. I tested this load from him and got exactly 22" of penetration in to various water containers and no separation. That's pretty wicked and in my opinion a little overkill for self defense due to so much penetration but if your going to use one of his rounds that would probably be the best. Mine is mainly for hunting really but I do carry it from time to time and I like to know that 180 grain can get the job done with whatever I use it for

12. glockenturm

glockenturm

This is interesting. I wish a psychologist would read this thread and chime in. I work in retail and deal with this everyday.

There is a disturbing trend in American society for complete strangers to confess what they did in the last 15 minutes or so. This is particularly true when customers come in from another store. It's like some guilty concience is triggered, or they feel the need to instantly start talking because they are afraid they won't be liked. It comes off like they are trying to be nice up front because they know they will make you mad in the end. Many people come in to look at products they totally intend to buy online. Basically just wasting the store's time and walking out empty handed.

A merchant is more than willing and happy to talk about his product, shipping costs, etc. They want to make a sale. If you make a comment that makes it seem like you wasted their time, the transaction can end abruptly.

I probably would have done the same.

Message sent from Texas!

13. JBnTX

JBnTX

I'd have hung up on him too.

The last thing a dealer wants to hear is how prices are cheaper somewhere else. It's an insult to even bring them up.

Would you tell your wife or girlfriend that you just saw another woman that was prettier than her?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  14. 4949shooter

4949shooter

According to the OP, the merchant didn't even let him finish.

15. sciolist

sciolist

Exactly. It’s one thing to say to your wife, “Hey, look at the rack on that babe!” But O/P comes off more like, “Hey, why don’t you have boobs like her?”

WTF do you expect? If the guy’s into making and selling ammo, presumably he has it priced at a point he feels appropriate. He may want to dicker with you, and he may not. But it’s naïve to expect him to defend his price.

16. Vitals

Vitals

The last few posts on my thread have seemingly ignored the fact that I was mid sentence into a question regarding shipping costs when he cut me off and hung up. I have worked in retail as well and I completely understand where his attitude would have come from had I started asking him about matching prices or making a deal or what not. That simply wasn't the case and nothing like that came out of my mouth. Hell....I'll even admit that mentioning an online dealer or competitor was a bad move and if he had waited for me to finish and then been so terse I would not have had any bone to pick over the matter. I just think there is something to be said for the way a business, and its owner handles it's customers, and or talks to them. After all....in the previous phone call, 10 minutes prior to this one, I had told him I was going to be in on Monday to pick up a pack of 200 rounds. My second call was just to clarify cost. Even if the cost were more than online sources, I still would have rather supported a local business and kept the money local (no way he would have known that however).

It seems my post has served as a soap box for some disgruntled retail workers to side with the owner and misunderstand where I am coming from. I feel very strongly that If a business had treated any of you this way, you might have a different opinion. In California, I think all people involved with guns should be supporting each other being that our rights are constantly under siege. Anyways...bottom line....more patience on his part would have gotten him a lot of business from me. Oh well

17. 4949shooter

4949shooter

There is an old phrase I seem to remember from days back.

"The customer is always right."

18. cajun_chooter

cajun_chooter

guess he was having a bad day...

19. Vitals

Vitals

Ya I guess so