close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bullets don't swim well

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by G10mm, Sep 15, 2011.

1. G10mm

G10mm

My bullet and primers got soaked :steamed:. I guess the primers are junk .:crying:
    The bullets has anybody tried to clean them . Like maybe tumbling them or something elice What are you thoughts

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

You mean soaked, Water? Do you mean unloaded bullets and primers or loaded cartridges?

3. G10mm

G10mm

Yes All the above . the cartridges Are factory I will shoot this weekend and see if they work . As for the bullets and primers Unloaded soaked /Flooded under water . wet . The are not loaded yet

4. crsuribe

crsuribe 10mm Auto

Discard primers; measure bullets and if within spec; clean them with dry cloth and use.

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Don't toss the primers, let them air dry for a few days and in all likelihood they'll be fine... unless they've been sitting on the bottom of the ocean since Atlantis sunk.

Just wipe off your projectiles, discoloration won't hurt a thing. Your factory rounds will also most probably be fine... flatlander hunters often fall in lakes, streams, hot tubs or simply piddle on themselves at the sight of a ground squirrel and their ammunition survives the traumatic event.

Just ask Zombie Steve.

Jack

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I would rinse the primers in water and let them dry and nice long time. Jacketed bullets can be tumbled. JHP might have the hole fill up with media. So I would be careful about that.

7. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

If clean water, your primers will be fine after they have dried out.

I proved this a couple of years ago after soaking primers in both tap water and WD-40 for two or three weeks (it's been a while since I ran the experiment). After allowing both groups to air dry for a week or two or so, I fired them, sans powder and bullet, in a 9mm case in a P226.

All of the primers fired. Those that were soaked in water had no noticable reduction in fire power. Those soaked in WD-40 presented a noted decrease in fire power but still had enough umph to probably set off a powder charge.

Use those primers in range fodder once they're dried out. Although I have no concerns about them going bang when struck, I still wouldn't want to use them in a SD scenario.

8. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I ain't a-skeered a no ground squirrel.

[​IMG]

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

If the bullets are jackets or plated you can run them in your tumbler to polish them back up. I've done so a few times.

10. G10mm

G10mm

POLISHING DOES BRING THEM
    I will what to see what to do with the primers .
    To day I put a shotgun primer on a Anvil that was wet and hit it with a hammer :embarassed: it went off just fine :wow: Loud as hell thow

11. lvl1trauma

lvl1trauma

I have washed more than a few rounds of .45 ammo that I left in my pocket. They should be fine once dried out.

12. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Yum! Haven't tried a ground squirrel, but those gray squirrels are delicious!

13. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Make sure you have a little tobasco or SOMEthing in your pack. Pretty bland.