close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bullets coming back on plates or pepper poppers?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DistantTea, Dec 8, 2004.

1. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

For as many matches as there are out there I never really hear of somebody getting tagged by a returning bullet from a steel target. I've heard of people standing a bit too close and getting some splash back from JHP but nothing too serious. How often does that happen? How often is somebody hurt from a steel target?

And how do the physics work there... does the average bullet deform, dramaticly reducing its energy and it just drops? Does it deflect but at a safe angle? I guess like some newbies I'm concerned about steel targets because I don't have any experience other than the little $20 .22LR spinners. And even those I don't trust.

2. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

You have the biggest back splatter problems on plates that are not flat or that have craters from being hit with rounds too hot for the quality of the steel. Aside from an eye wound which would be prevented with proper eyewear there's no reason to expect anything but a flesh wound. Worst I've ever seen was a sharp curl of coppper jacket that penetrated the skin of a guys knee (wearing shorts) and curled around. It was a little tricky to remove. One of the guys who was a paramedic pulled out his kit, removed it with forceps and irrigated a little before applying a bandaid.

3. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Every once in a while you can get tagged by a bullet splatting back. Rarely is it anything more than a scratch. I have shot the American Handgunner match 4 years now. It is an all steel match with lots & lots of shooting. e.g., couple of years ago, I shot 2700rds at the match. Anyway, out of these 4 years, there has been one incident where a person sort of needed to go to a doctor. It was a pretty good scratch on her leg, scraped a little bleeder of some kind, & made a mess. Usually by the end of the week, there are half a dozen people wandering around with a band aid on a bullet scratch. As a guy that likes numbers, I figure 125 shooters, shooting maybe only 1500 rds each that adds up to 187500 bullets downrange, times 4 years, with one incident needing medical attention. 7 million to one? Not bad odds. Of course, eye protection is very important. Never shoot steel(or anything really) without good eye protection. I said all that but don't be surprised if you get hit with a little bit of flack now & then.
    At our range, we have an 11yrd rule. No shooting steel closer than that. Also, the condition of your steel has an affect on the splatter. If your steel is all pock marked & so forth, you get more splatter. MLM

4. geezer-lock

geezer-lock

In thirty something years of shooting I have been hit numerous times. The memorable ones were those that came close to those really tender parts if you get my drift. None of them required anything more than a band-aid and most not even that. As Mark said the odds of injury are pretty low. For the record, the last time I got hit was last Saturday in San Antonio, while I was standing on the mark waiting to shoot plates. A piece of copper jacket from the shooter next to me bounced off of my cap.

David C

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

6. pangris

pangris Moderator

I've caught a couple. I've learned not to watch people shoot steel unless I'm 50+ yards away.

Paul

7. CanadianGlockFan

CanadianGlockFan

Most everyone who shoots steel will eventually catch a little frag once in a while, but on most steel targets, the vast majority of that spray ends up going out at 90 degrees to the direction of fire, since the bullet "splatters" on the steel. The WORST ricochet I ever had was at a bowling-pin match, when a 230-grain RNL came off of a pin and caught me at belt-level, leaving a bruise the size of a plum.

8. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

My last dink was at Richmond, VA and I wasn't close to any steel. It had to be pulled out. It will make you glad you wore your eye protection.

9. RedhorseG20

RedhorseG20

Saw someone tonight on a practice match get hit. I was standing no more than 1 foot from him when he said "OWWWWW" and turned and cringed. Got him pretty good about 1 inch under his left eye. Dug the piece out and bled a little bit. Have to imagine a piece of metal that is flying and is able to bury itself in your skin is moving at a pretty good rate of speed. If the odds posted previously were somewhat accurate across the board, then you are more likely to get struck by lightening.

10. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Well this does make me think I'm not wearing good enough eye protection for when I start shooting real plates. I'm either going to have to wear contacts and safety glasses or get one of those insert systems. The concept of a shard getting anywhere near my eyes gives me the willies. I can see how my normal glasses may protect from direct fragments but not well enough.

11. GlockMom

GlockMom

I got hit with my own while shooting the plates at Marietta this year. The bad part wasn't getting hit, it was the part where my husband thought it was a piece of dirt and tried to brush it off.;P

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I hope you gave him a gentle tap up side his red head. ;f ;f ;f ~1

13. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I have been fragged tons over the years. Alot of depends on the condition of the steel and the angle of the shot. Wear glasses, dont shoot steel closer than 10 yards and you will minimize the chances of an injury.

14. GlockMom

GlockMom

I don't know who yelled "DON'T" louder, me or the RO.

Don't worry though, he has enough guilt about being a cheering section a little too loud while I was shooting. It threw me off and I missed high female at Lexington by 4.xx seconds. Next year I am bringing the duct tape.;)

15. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I want to be there for that! ;f

16. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Me To, Heck I will even bring a spare roll of High Speed Duct Tape. ;f ;f ;f

17. GlockMom

GlockMom

Get in line now...;f ;f ;f

18. njl

njl

I've been hit with lots of fragments. Once I got hit hard enough under the eye (just below my glasses) that I had to stop and check to see if I was bleeding. I couldn't believe I wasn't.

I shoot in large frame aviator prescription transition lens glasses.

My rule is to try to face the plates when watching (so as not to expose the open sides) and if I have to make any sort of adjustment, turn back to the plates before removing glasses.

Anyone have recommendations for actual shooting friendly prescription safety glasses? I'd love to be able to wear some of those wraparound ones that really cover the eyes...but I gotta be able to see the targets and don't like/wear contacts.

19. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

OK OK here is her own handy work with my help. ^c

20. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

NJL, Oakley will put a prescription lens in their M frame shooting glasses. I think they will do it for any of the lens shapes that fit that frame. They look kind of weird but they give you the wrap around protection, plus your scrip. They aren't cheap, though. MLM