Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
59,814 Posts
I have seen better backstops too but I also wonder at where it is. A range near here that I have spent a little time on has some rocks in the backstop (had more in previous years) but our rocks are sort of light limestone concoctions that I have to guess might not be nearly as bad as say granite.

· Registered
8,591 Posts
I just watched this video and it's a gun class with the students firing into a very rocky hillside. Isn't this rule #1 on what not to do concerning bullet ricochet? Clue me in.
Hopefully somebody did a risk management assessment. So apparently 'someone' thinks it is safe enough.

· I'm not retired
8,500 Posts
How do they recover the lead? Apparently, nothing is close enough for a ricochet to be an issue, and something coming straight back is unlikely. Our out door pistol range is right beside the rifle range and if you shoot rifles, enough, you'll hear a pistol bullet whiz by from time to time...and the back drops on all the ranges are dirt.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,005 Posts
The organizers of the class should be the responsible party, I would imagine though they have waivers to cover the mishaps. I would not be impressed with the instructors considering what is enviromentally depicted in the video.

· Premium Member
20,113 Posts
That backstop would not pass muster at any military range using the standards in use from the late 70s through the early 2000s, nor would it pass a NRA range inspection (based on what I have heard about their standards).

It's nothing a few E-1s and E-2s with shovels and rakes couldn't fix in a month or two, though... :supergrin:

· Registered
16,885 Posts
We had a problem at our range with folks who were shooting high and missing the backstops altogether. We ended up putting round hay bales stacked two high behind the targets, makes a dandy lead catcher as well.

· Registered
3,234 Posts
The outdoor range that I used to visit near Lakeland FL is currently shut down because of ricochet issues.

The range officer told me that so much lead had been fired into the berms over the years that they had a few instances of rounds coming back and nearly hitting people at the rifle benches. Apparently they berm is so full of lead that the rounds were hitting other rounds in the dirt and coming back.

They are in the process of rebuilding all the berms and using special equipment to sort out all the lead. It's been shut down for almost a year now I think.

For those of you that shoot on your own property, you may want to think about rebuilding your berms at some point.

· Registered
16,885 Posts
The device that I see would be useful in this situation is called a pug mill. What it does is sift soil through various sized screens, stacked vertically, with an angled ramp that then sends media of a specific size into either hoppers or feeder conveyors. With the right setup, you could recover everything from .17 to .50 caliber and at the same time replace the soil to within 3' of where it was excavated. While not cheap, the process was developed by contract specifically for EPA and meets all compliance issues as relates to hazardous materials such as lead.

· Registered
8,944 Posts
Anytime you have a background other than dirt or sand, just the same as shooting steel, you risk getting fragged. I took a 40cal frag from a piece of concrete and it took 3 stitches to get it out. It was a single chunk in the corner of a 40 yard bay and I was about 25 yards from the chunk.

· GTDS #88
3,378 Posts
I was more stunned by the "instruction"

Poor grips, stances, draws and reloads exhibited by some of the shooters.
No corrections attempted, just more shooting. Piss poor way of reinforcing bad habits.

· Registered
8,944 Posts
Yes, but the paying students don't know any better. There are tons of mickey mouse instructors these days. Check the bios, for CCW, are you a cop? how long have you been a cop? how many OIS's were you involved in? Do you, or have you ever shot competition? If so, which venue? USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge? And the really pathetic thing is the prices they charge, who do they think they are? Ken Hackathorn, Mass Ayoob?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.