close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bullet Puller Setup

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rangerhgm, Aug 19, 2017.

1. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Hubcap.....I was looking for a less painful method for pulling a few mistakes from time to time. I've used the Franklin kinetic puller for the past few years, but I never liked taking it apart after each round....even if I'm only pulling 2 or 3. I just got the quinetic part to put in my Franklin kinetic. Haven't used it yet but I think it will work for what I need. A lot cheaper than a dedicated station

2. Kwesi

Kwesi

Thanks for the tip on the Quinetics. Mine should arrive today. One particular gun does a number on the 10mm brass. Discovered 2 rounds today that need pulled. I've used the collet more so when I was learning. Just loaded it into a spare Dillon tool head for 100+ rounds.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I use a Lee C press with Hornaday and RCBS pullers. Works well and cost isn't great. I load on a Summit or 1050 so not much option for bullet pulling with either of them.

4. weaselfire

weaselfire

How many bullets are you guys pulling that you need dedicated setups? In a bad year I might pull a box I loaded with bad powder and a simple inertia puller works great. I do have a Lee die but it takes longer get to setup than it's worth most of the time.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5. dudel

dudel

Just curious what you're doing that you feel the need for a dedicated pulling station! Did you come into a large supply of surplus ammo?

For reusing components, I find a hammer type works best. I strike it against a 12" piece of pressure treated 6x6 standing on end. Even put a handle on the side. The end grain takes a beating; but it's not as tough on the hammer as hitting steel or concrete.

If you're going to reuse the brass, then leave the primer in it. You can resize without the decapping pin; but the brass should already be sized (it is after all an unfired round). If you don't know the powder in the round, toss it.

If you're not going to use the brass; but want the primer, then a universal decapping die (Hornady or Lee for example) will punch the primer out. Just go nice and slow. The little Lee C press isn't the best for that (I have one dedicated to decapping). Many primers miss the chute.

I like having a press dedicated for decapping. It keeps all the primer schmutz from messing up my RockChuker or 550b. I decap because I pin wash my brass.

6. dudel

dudel

Sounds like the primer may have been a bit proud of the case. Hard to see the case holder contacting a properly seated primer (which should be just a bit below flush).

WeeWilly likes this.
  7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I agree, or a piece of debris, I can't even remember where I saw it, maybe THR, but the guy seemed credible enough, if a bit dramatic IIRC.

dudel likes this.
  8. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I really don't need a dedicated pulling station....I was just searching for a less painful method than using the kinetic puller......

With the advice in this thread....problem solved for me.

The Quinetics piece in my FA kinetic hammer works great.

9. andy16

andy16

the most brilliant think i've read on the interwebs this week--thanks!