close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bullet Puller Setup

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rangerhgm, Aug 19, 2017.

1. rebs

rebs

I have read where using a standard shell holder has caused some rounds to go off in the hammer style puller. I don't know for sure if its true or not.

2. jmorris

jmorris

I fall into the "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" category. I develop loads in small numbers sometimes a single shot between loading a round with some sort of change.

I also don't load everything I have for a given round just in case I come up with a better load down the road, I don't have 250,000 of something I no longer really want sitting there.

If you follow those two concepts, an impact puller will serve your bullet pulling needs.

dudel likes this.

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I believe there was a credible account of this happening, basically, the shell holder doesn't have anything to center the case. If the case gets off center so the primer isn't in the "hole" of the shell holder, so impact of the flat of the shell holder against the primer might be possible. It likely is still a fluke, but maybe 2 or 3 in a million. versus 1 in 100 million chance? (note: the last bit with the odds and such is totally made up stuff that almost certainly has no bearing on reality ;)).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    dudel likes this.
  4. WILE E COYOTE

WILE E COYOTE

I use the rcbs collet puller on a lee reloader press with the quick change collet. also for my deprimmer Dillon decapping die. lee case trimmer.works real good with the quick change collets.

5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I agree 100% with this philosophy, I bought my RCBS press mounted puller when I wanted to pull a bunch of mil-surp ammo for the powder and the brass. When you are doing a 1000, the press mounted puller is a little less painful (emphasis on LITTLE).

6. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I ordered the shim fit combo to try on a Franklin Arsenal puller

7. sciolist

sciolist

It should be fine with that. I use it with my Dillon puller, because it's what I had when I got the Quinetics part. The Dillon has fewer threads at the cap, so in theory is probably the worst puller for this application. It still works, though.

After a few rounds, you'll see just how far to back the cap off in order to change cartridges without having the new one slip past the collet on the way in. It just takes a little technique.

I save up case rejects until I have 100 or so, then pull them all at once - generally just to recover bullets. I dump everything in one box during the pulling process, then sort through it at the end.

dudel likes this.
  8. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Pretty much the way I do it now. I use the shell holder, but it's still a PIA if your pulling several bullets......having to take the cap off each time. Seems like the Quinetics part will make it easier.

I appreciate all the help guys!!!

9. wingman2000

wingman2000

i pulled 1000 rounds of 45 acp with a rcbs hammer puller without any problems thay had the wrong powder amount . i ( only trust my own reloading now !!!!!! )

10. sciolist

sciolist

Ya, I went from the Dillon collet to a shell holder, and that is certainly an improvement. The added mass helps, and the SH is much more durable. But everything still gets gummed up with powder after a while, and you have to constantly tap things on the ground to clear them.

The Quinetics part minimizes movement of the threads, so the powder accumulation stays under control. I can do 100 rounds without taking the cap off - even with the relatively inappropriate Dillon puller. So the process is much less tedious.

11. jmorris

jmorris

Makes it much less probable if the primer is so high you can't get it into a shell holder to begin with even though most are machined lower than the rim where the primer would be upon insertion. Even less so if you are impacting in the direction one would beat them to have a bullet move out of the case, when everything is yanked away from the shell holder.

That said I remember a guy that said he dropped a bag of loaded ammunition down the stairs onto his basement floor and one of the rounds went off, so anything is possible.

dudel and WeeWilly like this.
  12. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

I prefer using a collet puller when possible. Much more of a pleasant experience. Some bullets simply don't work, though. Great for jacketed rifle, typically. Pulling 55 gr 223s with an impact puller is a pain.

I prefer an end grain of hard wood for the impact puller. Put me in the camp of those who wouldn't use a shell holder in a kinetic puller when pulling live rounds.

13. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

A gunsmith friend of mine got just under 5000 223 loaded rounds
    from a customer, customer blew up his nice AR with the first 200
    of them.

He gave them to me, I had to give him back just half the powder,
    good deal for me.

This is what I used, I have pulled bullets in the past and did not
    want to use the other methods, too slow.

https://grip-n-pull.com/

14. jmorris

jmorris

I would reuse powder that I knew what it was I put in the cases.

I have used surplus powder before from places that had good reputations for selling military pulled components.

I wouldn't feel very good about reusing powder from someone's handloads I didn't know.

No way in hell would I use powder from anyone's loads that had already blew up one rifle. I have read too many "so I dumped the wrong powder into a container, is it safe?" Threads to do something like that.

Most of the powders I use for .223 couldn't "blow up" an AR 15 even if I scooped the case full before I seated a bullet.

15. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

When I use my hammer-style puller, I whack the end of a 8 or 10 inch long chunk of 2x4. Works fine, and when I need a replacement I always have a candidate around.

16. hubcap500

hubcap500

I've had my RCBS (Quinetics) puller for well over 20 (probably 30+) years. I use an ingot of soft lead to hit it against. I've worn out a set of the jaws, but it's still going strong. There are some cracks where the head is attached to the handle, but they've been there nearly as long. Yes, as someone else said, put some padding inside the puller to minimize bullet deformation. And ALWAYS wear safety glasses.

Don't mean to be snarky, but if I felt the need to have a dedicated bullet pulling station, perhaps you might consider taking up another hobby. But then I'm assuming those are "typos", not mass breaking down of surplus ammo. All the previously mentioned cautions about scavenging the components still apply.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  17. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

The powder is WC844, a great 223 powder, some of the pulled
    ammo had no powder, bullets seated too deep and the wrong
    bullet. I am sure with your experience you can think of a few
    things that could go wrong with all the fubars the loader did.

Years ago we were getting WC844 for forty dollars for eight lbs,
    still have lots of it, also got some of that AA2200 for same price.

I buy when the buying is good.

http://mil-spec-industries.net/wc844-reviews

http://patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.aspx?category=Powder

Now both of them are over 150 dollars for 8 lbs.

18. jmorris

jmorris

WC844 is good for 223, 25 gn or so can get you 2900 fps with a 55 gn FMJ out of a 20" barrel and depending on the lot you can stuff 27.5 in there and not kaboom an AR. I also agree lots can go wrong and if someone could manage to get the wrong bullet in a 223 case during a load session, I wouldn't put it past them to get the wrong powder in there either.

I understand though, I have done things that were not the safest thing to do, just to save money in the past and likely will do it again in the future. Everytime it costs me more than I saved, I get less likely to repeat the mistakes.

happie2shoot likes this.
  19. hubcap500

hubcap500

[QUOTE="]I understand though, I have done things that were not the safest thing to do, just to save money in the past and likely will do it again in the future. Everytime it costs me more than I saved, I get less likely to repeat the mistakes.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure your Darwin award will make you quit for good.

20. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I've used the RCBS collet puller in a single stage press pretty successfully for 9mm and 223. Some bullet shapes/weights work easier than others.

I found it a LOT less painful than a kinetic puller