close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bullet Puller Setup

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rangerhgm, Aug 19, 2017.

1. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I'm considering setting up a bullet pulling station using:
    • Lee Breech Lock Reloader Single Stage Press
    • Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller (with appropriate collets)
    I was also thinking of possibly using this ss press for decapping also, not sure yet.

Questions:
    1. Better setup for pulling bullets?
    2. What's the safest way to decap "live" primers?

2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

1. As spec'd should work.

2. Slowly as normal if you want to save them; put them in a 320 and drop it with the primed case in it if you don't want to save them, then deprime as usual.. :supergrin:

Benchrst likes this.

3. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

If you are talking about pulling normal pistol bullets , good luck, in my experience there isn't enough of the full Cal. bullet available for the collet to grab.
    As to primers, if you plan to reload the brass, just remove the de capping pin and resize.
    If you loaded SPP in a rifle , or something where you want the primmer removed, then get a Lee universal decaping die. Depending on where you live, either soak them in water , or save for ???

4. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

WP....not sure what a 320 is???

5. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

My Bad, I was making a funny ( well, not so much, maybe ) about the recent Sig 320's that were firing when dropped. They used a primed case in the pistol when they dropped them so as to not shoot their but off. Plenty of youtube videos about it and they all landed on GT. :supergrin:

wp

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I have never tried the Hornaday cam lock puller. I use a little Lee Challenger Breech Lock for pulling, decapping (both live and dead), etc. It is a fast change setup for all my miscellaneous ops.

I use the RCBS collet puller (similar to the Hornaday only a screw top closure), works great on some bullets (allowing reuse), puts a significant ring on the ogive of others, depending on the softness of the bullet, the deftness of my touch and patience that day, etc. If I absolutely want to keep and reuse like new a bullet, I use the impact puller (foam in the tip to cushion the flying bullets meplat when it stops).

I decap live primers just like dead ones. The decap pin hits the anvil on the side without primer material and it is very hard material, so it won't ignite the primer when decapping. If I am decapping a reversed primer (decap pin hits primer cup on the same side the firing pin strikes, I go vewy, vewy slow... :) ).

7. sciolist

sciolist

8. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I'm currently using all plated, 9mm RN and 380 RNFP.

Looking for something that will work on those and allow reuse of the bullet.

Live primers, I'm not really concerned about reusing them....if I can great, if not, not a big deal.

9. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I don't know about the Hornaday, but the RCBS puller takes a really deft hand not to mark even jacketed, bullets like lead or most plated (xtreme might be an exception) dent pretty badly unless you are pulling them from a case with really light neck tension. The impact puller with foam down in the tube is the only way I know for sure of saving a bullet, at least with my press mounted RCBS puller.

I reuse decapped live primers, no problems.

10. SmokelessPowder

SmokelessPowder Consummate Reloader

So what's the deal then? Steel cases maybe?

11. 19trax95

19trax95

I mistakenly loaded 100 .380 rounds with a powder charge that was a little too light to cycle my g42. It was the first batch of reloads I ever made.

I used the hammer style bullet puller and it pulled all of them without damage and without an issue. I reused all of the bullets and casings.

12. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

"ditto" on the impact puller for not damaging / reusing the bullet. Be selective about what you use to hit the puller against. By selective, I mean get a scrap 2 x 6 or larger because the "whacking" will leave dents.

13. 19trax95

19trax95

I used an old wood stool. It's a nice height and I didn't care if I destroy it.

14. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I use a 1x4 piece of solid steel about 5" long. Like a mini anvil. I did buy a can lock in .223 but have yet to use it.

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  15. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

MO let me know how the mini anvil works out ? I broke a Franklin Arsenal puller using a piece of small gauge rail IE; a mini anvil pulling cast bullets from 22 Hornet cases

16. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

RCBS replaced my impact style puller when I finally broke my first one unloading some .44RM that had a heavy roll crimp on them. RCBS is on par (or at least was the last time I needed anything replaced) with Dillon for CS.

17. sciolist

sciolist

I think a kinetic puller with the Quinetics part works fine for that.

18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

A hammer-type Kinetic bullet puller works good on almost everything.

There are 2 tricks I've learned over the years.

1.) The best surface to pound on is one that is most solid like a concrete slab. HOWEVER, something that works better his to it the bullet puller against a heavy smooth faced hammer holding the hammer in one hand a the bullet puller in the other and you don't have to hold onto the hammer real tight, just let it bounce.

2. You can use a standard shell holder in the puller to hold the cartridge instead of the 3 piece thingy with the o-ring. It works much better.

19. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

See my other post. you hit the puller against a heavy smooth faced hammer held semi-loosely in you other hand and allow the puller to bounce against the hammer.

it works so well you won't believe you ever used to do it the hard way.

20. sciolist

sciolist

I have a concrete paver in my loading room that I use when pulling bullets in winter. Otherwise, I do it on the patio.

The Quinetics part works way better than a shell holder, because you don't have to remove it from the puller between cartridges. You don't even have to take the cap off the puller.