Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve almost always used the bullet manufacturers data for my loads. I’m loading 375 H&H.

The bullets are Barnes 235 grain TSX. Their data only lists powders I don’t own and are out of stock everywhere.

IMR lists 4064 for .375 230 grain bullets in the 375 H&H.

I have 4064. Even though the IMR data may not have been developed with the exact Barnes bullet, is there any reason not to use the IMR data?

I have used 4064 before in the 375 but not with Barnes bullets.

·
Native Mainiac
23,867 Posts
Not sure, but if it's a solid copper bullet it may have some effect on pressure if compared to a lead cored. I'd play it safe and start on the low side if using other bullet data from the powder manufacturer's data.

I'm pretty much a sissy with my reloads anyway.

·
Señor Member
10,034 Posts
I've e-mailed Barnes with questions a couple times, and they've helped me out. I would contact them and see what they say.

·
Registered
36,260 Posts
You can use any powder that you have been using, just have to work the load back up. Mono Metals create higher pressures so you cant just plug & play. Also mono metals like to be loaded off the lands a bit for best accuracy. Also ckean your bbl down to bare metal before running all copper bullets.

Reactions: Batesmotel

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
1,621 Posts
You can use any powder that you have been using, just have to work the load back up. Mono Metals create higher pressures so you cant just plug & play. Also mono metals like to be loaded off the lands a bit for best accuracy. Also ckean your bbl down to bare metal before running all copper bullets.
What is meant by " ... off the lands ...,?.

·
Señor Member
10,034 Posts
I have an Overall Length Gauge made by Hornady that lets you chamber a cartridge to determine when the bullet 'bottoms out' on the "lands" of the 'rifled' barrel. I think Barnes bullets are said to generally like being 50 thousands away from touching the lands.

·
Registered
36,260 Posts
Rifling is lands & grooves, lands are the raised portion of rifling. All bbls have a throat at the end of the chamber. The rifling starts at the end of the throat.
With most rifles, you load to be just off the lands, like 0.010" off the lands for best accuracy, but that varies with each rifle. Into the lands or ogive touching rifling, means no run up to to rifling, that is where pressures start going higher.
Mono metals like more run at the rifling for best stability & linear pressure build. I think Barnes recommends 0.030" min, again each rifle will like what it likes. Loading any bullet into the lands is an over pressure event unless you back off the powder charge wts, more so with monometals.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I see data on the a Hodgdon site, regular bullet. I would just use the lower end of that.

Even a midlin level 375 load should be able to get most jobs done.

·
Registered
36,260 Posts
I see data on the a Hodgdon site, regular bullet. I would just use the lower end of that.

Even a midlin level 375 load should be able to get most jobs done.
The issue with monometals is they do need a certain vel level to expand & accuracy nodes tend to also be at the upper end. I dont waste expensive Barnes plunking paper at midrange vel.

Reactions: Taterhead
1 - 11 of 11 Posts