Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 50 lbs of mixed shot that was pulled from loaded shells. The question is it any good for casting bullets, and does it need to be mixed with other lead etc.? Plus I have a ton of wheel weight and more or less pure lead. It has been over 20 + years since I have done any casting.
Thanks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My rifle alloy ie 2# shot, 2# lead and 1/2# solder and I push gas checked 30 cal bullets 2000 ft/ sec without leading. Look in the Lyman Cast bullet handbook for alloy calculations

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I'm by no means an expert but I would mix it in with wheel weights at about a 1 part mixed shot to 3 parts wheel weights.
My casting is not an exact science. I mix wheel weights with softer lead and some linotype that I got from a friend. My casts measure about a 12 on my hardness tester. I coat my casts with Hi-Tek coating and shoot them in my pistols for GSSF.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I want to say that shot has relatively high antimony and no tin. Definitely good idea to cut it with wheel weights and wouldn’t hurt to throw in a little extra tin. Think I recall reading that shot was kinda nasty to flux/reduce into ingots.

It all depends on what your goals are. Coating gives you a lot more flexibility in the BHN range for any given application.

You’re very lucky to have a bunch of wheel weights. Those are the bread and butter of economical casting, and are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Do you know what shells they came out of. Quality shot has 6-7% antimony. really cheap shot is mostly pure lead.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
With the cost of shot, I'd be more inclined to pack it in a USPS flat rate box and sell it or trade it for another lead alloy. It is more valuable in its form as shot than melted down.

If it is WTF shot, then yeah, mix a little in with the other lead onhand. I believe that it has arsenic, and that helps speed heat treating along (if I understand the theory correctly). I've heard that shot, by itself, is hard to get to melt due to the shape and coating. Hence adding it to a cold pot of other alloy will get it mixed in (careful adding cold anything to a melt).

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
The Lyman cast Bullet Handbook is your friend.

·
Registered
36,284 Posts
Lead shot is usually coated & can be tougher to alloy, but crank the heat up, it should melt. It is usually pretty high in antimony as noted. So add 1% tin to get better mold fill out, good to go. Clip ww are probably about like chilled shot, so for most handgun, all you need. Tape weights are pure lead or zinc or steel, only lead ones work.
I just fell into 300# of pure lead so it can be alloyed with the clip wts, like 2-1 clip ww to pure, will be fine fir 45acp & 38sp. Coat them you can run 9 & 40 minor. At full power 9 & 40, midrange magnums, go straight clip ww with 1% tin. I have a guy willing to trade me 100# of lino for pure in Ocr when he is down this way. I can use that to, alloy the 400-500% of pure I have.
If you have lino, great as is for full magnums & rifle Rds. You can blend it with the pure 4-1 lead to lino for about the straight clip ww alloy. Coating solves a lot of problems in alloy but not all. You still need a harder alloy to runbullets above 25k psi for best acvuracy. I've run range scrap/PC 45-70 to 1500fps. A harder PC alloy to 2000 in my 6.8 with decent 100y accuracy. Still working on that one.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I'll trade you the shot lb for lb for wheel weight already in ingots.

The shot is more valuable as shot and you will have more loss to dross when you skim the mix because its hard to get more surface area per pound of lead than you can get with shot.

·
Registered
36,284 Posts
I'll trade you the shot lb for lb for wheel weight already in ingots.

The shot is more valuable as shot and you will have more loss to dross when you skim the mix because its hard to get more surface area per pound of lead than you can get with shot.
Mixed shot is fine for bangng steel too.

·
Registered
13,953 Posts
Soft lead would be good for muzzleloaders I suspect. Not sure about shot shell lead. How soft is it?
For pistol plinking rounds with under 1200 fps loads, I just use range scrap, which is picked up from the pistol range berms with some rifle range rounds included. I love to find those big 45/70 and larger cast bullets on the berm shot by black powder cartridge rifle shooters. Probably 95% of my lead comes from the pistol berm.

·
Registered
36,284 Posts
Soft lead would be good for muzzleloaders I suspect. Not sure about shot shell lead. How soft is it?
For pistol plinking rounds with under 1200 fps loads, I just use range scrap, which is picked up from the pistol range berms with some rifle range rounds included. I love to find those big 45/70 and larger cast bullets on the berm shot by black powder cartridge rifle shooters. Probably 95% of my lead comes from the pistol berm.
Anymore with lead wheel wts going away, berm mining is my primary source. Range scrap works for 9 & 40 minor, 38 & 45 & upto midrange magnums. Beyond those pressure levels, the bullets want to be a bit harder. So you can add lead shot, quite hard, linotype or clip ww. You can also just water drop the range scrap, gets you to about 13-14bhn. I PC & drop those into water out of the oven for a 3-4bhn bump.

Reactions: norton

·
Registered
13,953 Posts
Anymore with lead wheel wts going away, berm mining is my primary source. Range scrap works for 9 & 40 minor, 38 & 45 & upto midrange magnums. Beyond those pressure levels, the bullets want to be a bit harder. So you can add lead shot, quite hard, linotype or clip ww. You can also just water drop the range scrap, gets you to about 13-14bhn. I PC & drop those into water out of the oven for a 3-4bhn bump.
Fred
A buddy of mine picked up a small bucket of wheel weights for me. I live in Indiana, so lead is not the evil enemy yet that other states consider it.
Even so, I checked and about a 1/3 of the weights were not lead.
Too bad.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Fred
A buddy of mine picked up a small bucket of wheel weights for me. I live in Indiana, so lead is not the evil enemy yet that other states consider it.
Too bad.
That's actually not a too terribly bad ratio these days, from what others are reporting.

·
Registered
36,284 Posts
Fred
Too bad.
Once Kommifornia banned them, the rest of the country wasn't far behind. Kalif has more cars thus more tires than any other state. The ww manuf were not going to make diff wts for diff states, so you all get what kalif gets. I still have maybe 200-250# of clip wts to melt down but range scrap keeps me shooting just fine & its easier to melt down to ingots, less crud.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts