Bullet Box on EBAY $1200

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by davedc, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Rdnckngr

Rdnckngr

The post sticking out to the right of the last two rows of bullet holders and just below the mag follower B337C808-B4F9-4B39-A2DC-4005DF25C01D.jpeg DFAE9855-33DC-4DA9-AF83-25B1AED263E8.jpeg
    IIRC I've seen pictures of one or two bullet boxs with a tab about half as long so a longer magazine and loader fit better.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  2. Adam4

Adam4

Just wondering what Glock did with these boxes? I have a NIB BR prefix 19 that has BTT date code which I believe translates to Aug. '88 and this gun doesn't have the bullet style case. I would think that with the earlier gun Glock would have put it in a "bullet box" but this one is not. PT can you shed some light?

3. Adam4

Adam4

I misspoke in previous post. The barrel date code is PTT on that early 2nd Gen 19. No bullet box.

4. Adam4

Adam4

5. Rdnckngr

Rdnckngr

Does your BR prefix have all the original internals? The HB does and has never been back to Glock. It has the 3rd style trigger bar from the post comparing the different generations.

Adam4 likes this.
  6. Adam4

Adam4

Yes, Rdnckngr all original internals. It's interesting to me that the earlier model doesn't have the bullet box. BTW great looking Gen 2 19.

7. Rdnckngr

Rdnckngr

Thanks. Only collectible one I own. Friend gave it to me before he passed and he kept everything including the original receipt. $450 back in 1989.

davedc, premiertactical and Adam4 like this.
  8. Adam4

Adam4

WOW. That's super cool. I don't have original receipt on this one but manual and all accompanying paperwork, manual, warranty card, etc. still in original plastic. I may given a "few" dollars more than $450 lol. Worth every penny though in my book. I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friend, but what a fantastic momento to leave you and I'm sure that makes it that much more special to you. Just a side note on this particular gun. I got it from a broker who acquired it from the widow of the original owner who purchased it new in 1988. It was then placed a safe where it sat fir 30+ years. The gentleman was wheelchair bound his entire life and amassed a collection of 350 firearms prior to his death. According to his widow he NEVER shot a single gun in his entire collection. He loved buying and collecting them and I'm told he always kept "5" guns on layaway and the second he paid one off he would immediately put another one back on. I freely admit I'm a sucker for those kinds of back stories and that is what makes owning certain guns such as this one so much more valuable to me than any real appreciated financial value that may come as a result of owning it. Even though I never knew this gentleman, I feel a connection with him and will continue his legacy of collecting and sharing what he started with others. Of course I will never fire this weapon either and one day it will be passed on to my sons in the same condition that I was fortunate to get it in. Thanks for sharing the back story on yours!!

premiertactical likes this.
  9. premiertactical

premiertactical

As we have discovered here that your early bullet box would be uncommon to find a 19 in.
    First one I have seen in a bullet box period.
    We also know Glock made use of what they had left over. Very common to come across items that are normally associated with earlier handguns. It seems they would just use up old stock as they came across it.
    This could explain why you have that particular box.
    The box Adam shows is pretty much the standard with early 19s. Again this is based on what I have seen. I own very few 19s compared to the 17s. But I have seen numerous GB auctions also representing boxes with respective models.
    I have listed a HB serial number 19. Slightly earlier then yours. I will look at the images.

Is this 19 worth more due to being in a bullet box and labeled for it? I know it is a gift and you were not asking.
    A more serious collector of this manufacture might be very interested in this unique sample and pay more for it.
    If it sold for more then a 19 in a 4th series box I would only think this was due to a bidder assuming it was older or a collector wanting a 19 in a original bullet box.
    The box may very well be worth more then the handgun itself.

Will a 17 magazine fit in that area with the magazine loader?

We know Glock started adding the loader later. I do not know at which point. Could this be one of the older boxes that would not allow the loader to be placed on a 17 magazine?

Early AB handgun (Thanks to GH for sharing)

BE973731-07B6-4655-8CB6-9A4604575BFC.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Rdnckngr and Adam4 like this.
  10. Adam4

Adam4

Pt, I would have to agree with you 100% insomuch that that bullet box may very well be more desirable than the gun itself. That's exactly what I was thinking but was patiently waiting for you to chime in to confirm.

11. Rdnckngr

Rdnckngr

A 17 magazine will ‘fit’ but rides on top of the post while a 19 magazine and loader seem to be made to fit in the space better. Which is why I thought there were two early versions. Picture of case in GH’s P80 manual seem to show a box with a short version of that same post coming from left wall of the case. And the AB case above has different spacing between mag base and grip.

Attached Files:

12. Rdnckngr

Rdnckngr

13. premiertactical

premiertactical

The AB box would have different spacing since it is a 17.
    Put a 17 in that box of yours and then compare it to the AB image.

14. Rdnckngr

Rdnckngr

Spacing between the extra mag and front strap is different between the AB case and my HB case. Doesn't matter whether a 17 or 19 is in the HB box, that spacing doesn't change. The spacing from butt of gun to case would be different 17 vs 19. Looking at the horizontal spacing .....
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/p80-glock-17.1854572/ post #187

15. patcrad

patcrad

Preimport version of the bullet box does not allow for a 17 mag to go in with a loading device on the mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L.A.Tactical likes this.
  16. patcrad

patcrad

[​IMG]

davedc, Ole703, Adam4 and 1 other person like this.
  17. premiertactical

premiertactical

Unfortunately I’m going to have to add that pre-import box to that thread.

Pat would you offer a shot of the empty box?
    Also do you have any idea which prefixes saw the use of that box.

Lastly did we make a determination on the Glock 19 bullet box?
    Rdnck it would be great to get a shot of the interior of that box without anything inside it.

18. patcrad

patcrad

[​IMG]
    Feel free to edit as necessary. The pre-import box is on the bottom. I’ll try and get a closer shot with better lighting next time I go to the vault.

19. Rdnckngr

Rdnckngr

Premier - My box looks exactly like the upper box in the post above. I hadn't seen it before I started asking questions. The molded fingers that hold the butt of the loose magazine are angled to match a G17 mag and NOT a G19 mag (pic in post #41). So it is simply the first US release G17 bullet box supplied with a G19 in 1988. Glock must of had a few still around in 1988 and didn't want to waste a single one.

Also, the P80 (new) loaded with a newer mag will not fit in the box. The P80 fits in the box loaded with an old 17 mag that I 'inherited' (from an earlier AF321US gun my friend used to have) because it has a thinner butt plate. One more difference between the P80 recreation and the original. Another tidbit - the original front sight is flush with the top left barrel support. Put a longer front sight on the G19 and it won't fit in the box again.

Adam4, 58sniper and premiertactical like this.
  20. Fishboy556

Fishboy556

A nice Gen2 19 in original bullet box is about the coolest thing I've seen in a while!

Adam4, Rdnckngr and premiertactical like this.