Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could possibly be a reloading issue but it has been discussed there to some point. Has any of you GSSF shooters noticed differences in RN vs FP vs HP bullet accuracy? How about Concave Base vs flat base bullets?

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
I think most shooters lean towards HPs as being more accurate than same bullet in a solid design. Only time base design has been consideration is with a comp, not heard anyone say one better than other.

·
Crusty Member
10,956 Posts
At GSSF, the targets are big/close enough, that the primary factors in accuracy are sight picture and trigger control. i.e. For most of us, we (not the gun or the ammo) are the weak link in accuracy. Unless you're loading terrible ammo, I don't expect bullet choice makes much difference.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I only use JHP’s on competition day. I think of it like this:
Every round has a ‘cone of fire’ with each specific gun. In perfect conditions, my gun will shoot quality JHP’s in a 2” cone of fire. For the sake of argument, let’s say cheap plated throw a 4”cone of fire.

When I’m going ‘fast’ on the far target(s) I’m obviously not shooting in perfect controlled conditions. I figure if I do my part and shoot at an appropriate pace, my sights will have roughly a 6” wobble zone. Now as you know, we’re heavily penalized for anything outside the 8”center.

Draw a 6” circle in the center of a D1 target (this will be halfway between the A and the B ring). Now find two circular items, say a silver dollar and a lid off a peanut can. Take your smaller circle and run the center of it around that 6” line. That smaller circle is your ‘cone of fire’ (maximum possible mechanical accuracy) with quality bullets. So even if you aim at the outer edge of our imaginary 6” circle, no shots should fall into the penalty zone if your trigger finger does it’s part.

Now take the big peanut can lid and do the same. We’ll call it Winchester White Box. You’ll see that running fast enough to keep your sights in a 6” circle will give you a 25% chance of a penalty on every shot, even with perfect trigger control.

All this is far less important for close stuff like Plates. Montana Gold and Precision Delta JHP’s are no substitute for trigger control and other fundamentals. However, you will have to shoot slower or eat penalties with less accurate ammo, even if you have perfect skills. Obviously if your particular gun shoots round nose or any other design with accuracy, use those.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At GSSF, the targets are big/close enough, that the primary factors in accuracy are sight picture and trigger control. i.e. For most of us, we (not the gun or the ammo) are the weak link in accuracy. Unless you're loading terrible ammo, I don't expect bullet choice makes much difference.
Yep :.... you are right

·
20,438 Posts
And you only have 6 shots at 25 yards outdoors, 10 indoors. Many matches have been won with WWB 115-gr FMJ (Tony clemmens) ammo and PMC 115-gr FMJ ammo (Bobby Carver).

·
NRA Benefactor
5,788 Posts
When competing in Reno, the winds can be 30+mph and have been known to blow the steel knockdowns over or hold the targets up after they've been hit. I think that would have more of an impact than bullet type.

That said, I didn't notice my POI changing much more than maybe an inch or so.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
In events requiring a high degree of precision ( gssf not being one of them!) there is an edge to some hollow point designs ( Hornady hap as an example)
While not a high scoring master class guy, I do pretty well and won my pre master class matches with whatever ammo I had on hand, often mixing brands and bullet weights in the same magazine and it made zero difference in the results.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I
In events requiring a high degree of precision ( gssf not being one of them!) there is an edge to some hollow point designs ( Hornady hap as an example)
While not a high scoring master class guy, I do pretty well and won my pre master class matches with whatever ammo I had on hand, often mixing brands and bullet weights in the same magazine and it made zero difference in the results.
I agree, GSSF is not a master class event. It is great fun for just plain working class people.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I
I agree, GSSF is not a master class event. It is great fun for just plain working class people.
I think there’s a Miss Boone and a Mr Dover who’s disagree, and they have buckets of prize Glocks to prove it ; ) as far as working class, there’s a long history of those guys becoming top competitors. Probably because they work with their hands. Sevigny was a Machinist. Miculek was a Millwright. Enos was a Mechanic.

I do really like that GSSF is set up to welcome all shooters, I would have probably never gone to a match if it weren’t such an inviting atmosphere. But I see no reason why it can’t be just as serious a sport as something like Steel Challenge.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think there’s a Miss Boone and a Mr Dover who’s disagree, and they have buckets of prize Glocks to prove it ; ) as far as working class, there’s a long history of those guys becoming top competitors. Probably because they work with their hands. Sevigny was a Machinist. Miculek was a Millwright. Enos was a Mechanic.

I do really like that GSSF is set up to welcome all shooters, I would have probably never gone to a match if it weren’t such an inviting atmosphere. But I see no reason why it can’t be just as serious a sport as something like Steel Challenge.

Yes I have a video of Andrea Boone glocking the plates in less than 2 seconds at the Table Rock Challenge.

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
I've seen my best match ammo shoot 2 1/2" at 25 yards. Worse we tested shoot 8" forget what it was but thinking White Box. Huge degree of Precession may not be required for GSSF but it sure isn't going to hurt you any and all the skill in the world won't make up for faulty ammo or equipment

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I

I attend 5 or 6 outdoor events and a host of indoor events each year..... I am likely the worst shot ever at GSSF but I enjoy it as much as the winners.... that makes me a winner!

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I

I attend 5 or 6 outdoor events and a host of indoor events each year..... I am likely the worst shot ever at GSSF but I enjoy it as much as the winners.... that makes me a winner!
Could not say it better! I am in the middle to lower master class standings and while I strive to improve am sort of stuck there. I know lots of guys that go to the shoots until they get 3 am wins then Quit figuring they won’t ever be shooting good enough to win a master level prize.
I am there for the shooting. Enjoying shooting with like minded people IS the prize!
I have seen both on line and in person the skill level of shooters like Miss Boone. I point to these results for people who think they need to mod the crap out of guns to shoot well. These results pretty much prove them wrong

·
"Shootin Steel"
634 Posts
Hey Tommy. We shoot both 115jhp and 115rn. I do not believe you will see much difference in the two at GSSF, 25 yds or less. If I was going to bullseye shoot out to 50 yds like they do I would definitely use a JHP. From my test years ago when I started reloading the jhp were more accurate.

Our go to bullet for years was the Montana Gold 115jhp. We shot in GSSF, uspsa, steel challenge. They are a little pricy and have lately been shooting a 115 RN, Berry, xtreme or Precision Delta. Which ever cheaper.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts