close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bulk Gold Dot, "Not for LE Use" "Practice Only"

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by beala, Mar 18, 2010.

1. beala

beala

So I recently ordered 500 rounds of 9mm 124gr Gold Dot JHP for about 32c/round. At the time I thought I was getting a really good deal, but I just received it and on the box it says "Not for LE use" and "For Practice only." Also, it came in a bulk pack with 250rds per box (no trays or anything, just 250 rounds dumped into the box). The brass also looks kind of dirty.

So, my question is, does anyone know what the difference is between this and the normal Gold Dot that comes in 50 round boxes? This was originally intended for defensive use, but now I'm not so sure. I found this thread, but it's dated 2008, and it says this ammo comes from a bad batch made in 2001. I'd be very surprised if they were still selling this bad batch 9 years later. Anyone have any up to date info on this?

Thanks!

2. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

:upeyes:

3. beala

beala

So, is there anyone here that's in a helpful mood, who cares to give me a helpful answer?

Oh of course not, this is Glock Talk... :upeyes:

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yes, my help is, when something seems to good to be true, it is. Usually in the ad they'll say its the recalled ammo. Regardless, that price should've sent up huge warning flags.

There was a recall on Speer ammo several years ago, and a lot of it is still out there floating around. I believe it had something to do w/ the primers and failure to fire. As for why its loose packed, I don't know.

and Yes, its still out there all over the place.

Edit: Just read your link, I guess it is a priming issue. Where did you buy the ammo?

Here's another thread. http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-257268.html

IGF

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

My old gun shop owner checked with an Army procurement officer he knew. The primers are not 100% reliable and there will be some failures in the box. Your choice if you use them as carry ammo. :wow:

6. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I bought a couple boxes like that years ago, came loose bulk packaged with the same not for LEO use markings. Every round went bang when I pulled the trigger in my G-19. No failures of any kind ata ll. Have never heard of anybody who bought that ammo having any problems with it, where did you get it? I could use some more!

7. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Someone has his cranky pants on today....

I bought some ammo a few years back that had the same warning label on it. Ended up using it for testing and the like, there was an FTF or two if I recall correctly, but for whatI was doing with it, it worked just fine. don't use it for carry.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I stay away from those. Not dependable for carry. I guess they're ok to prove functioning in your gun but OTOH if you get failures then you're left guessing.

Practice with that but carry the good stuff.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  9. beala

beala

Thanks for the link. It explains everything! But I'm still very surprised that this ammo is still floating around this many years later. Anyway, I bought it at www.surplusammo.com. They're out of the 9mm, but here's some Gold Dot 38spl that they're selling in similar bulk packs: Link As you can see, the description doesn't say anything about it being recalled. I says: "Gold Dot is the top of the line CCI defense / Law enforcement ammo. This is 500 rounds bulk practice ammo." It says it's top of the line defense ammo, then says it's practice ammo. So, maybe it's my fault for buying overpriced practice ammo, but the description is pretty confusing, imo.

Anyway, if the two links are right, and it's failure rate is only 1 in 50,000 I'd be willing to take my chances. Mostly I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm that it's from that initial 1 in 50,000 batch. And, of course, I'll put 100-200 downrange this weekend and report back.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm not sure I'd do that, just because they reported the failure rate was 1-50k, what are the chance you have 10-15 duds in your bag? I would use it for function testing, if you like it, run down to your local gun shop and buy a couple of 20rd boxes, and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

IGF

11. James Dean

James Dean

I use speer lawmen 124gr FMJ and they have always went bang for me. I use speer gold dots JHP for home defense. I find speer to be very good.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't have a problem at all w/ Speer... I to carry Gold Dots. When Speer says the ammo doesn't meet their specifications for reliability and should only be used for practice... I'd say you should listen.

This isn't an issue w/ Speer... its an issue w/ the actual ammo that he bought, which has been "reclassified"...

IGF

13. beala

beala

So I got bored today and calculated the probability of 10 or more of my 500 rounds being defective given the 1/50,000 odds. I came up with this number: 2.5x10^-25% = 0.00000000000000000000000025%

The probability that 1 or more will be defective is: 0.9%.

So I'm not that worried, given that the 1/50,000 odds is correct. I'm more worried that those odds aren't correct.

So, yeah, I'll probably just use these for practice, and if they all work without a hitch I'll know for sure that gold dot is reliable in my gun.

14. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I've bought it in several calibers and haven't had one not go bang.

15. unit1069

unit1069

There's your red flag. Gold Dot is top of the line self-defense ammo, just not the batches they're selling.

I've read of shooters getting the same ammo and for the most part it fires all right. A lot of it seems to be LEO orders that don't quite measure up to defined standards.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I understand what you're saying.. its pretty unlikely you'll have any problems. Like one of those other threads there, some reported having 4-5 failures in one box, others reported no problems at all... That was really the basis of my opinion.

Good luck in your decision.

IGF

17. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

if you got your ammo from Surplusammo.com, then it's not the recalled LE ammo from the early 2000. The ammo was actually made for the French Gendarme contract; brass cased with a headstamp of (reading clock-wise):
    SPEER 009 9x19 09.

It's unknown why this ammo was released onto the commercial market, but it could be as simple as not meeting velocity specs required or outlined in the French contract, failed to have a casemouth or primer seal or even for cosmetic flaws.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  18. greyeyezz

greyeyezz

I picked up 500 357sig for dirt cheap, failed submersion test. As I don't store my ammo under water I would trust it for carry.

19. dosei

dosei

Do you have the Lot#? Without the Lot#, there would be no way to get any exemplar samples for GSR testing...making the ammo unsuitable for LE/Defence use.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  20. gatorboy

gatorboy

I got a few K for a great deal. .40, 9mm and 357sig. Never had a round not go bang and I've shot about 4K already with more to go. I would'nt use it for SD though.