bulk ammo for 10/22 and SR22

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by AntHill, Jan 30, 2017.

1. AntHill

AntHill

The kid is getting old enough to move up from BB guns. I have my Ruger 10/22 and and a newly acquired SR22. I'd like to get some bulk .22 ammo for both so I can start teaching him to shoot.

Local big box stores include Walmart, Cabelas, and Bass Pro. Any particular bulk brands that work well enough in both firearms?

2. CMG

CMG

Remington has cause me more problems than any others. Federal has been the most reliable.

deputy tom likes this.

3. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Federal Champion (Walmart) has worked flawlessly for me. I'd stay away from any Winchester bulk ammo. I've had problems with Winchester 555 bulk and M-22.
    Of course, CCI is tops.

deputy tom likes this.
  4. Bluescot

Bluescot

I agree with most on this post. Remington Golden anything has proven to produce more fouling, less accuracy and more duds in my 10/22's than any other ammo combined. I've built around 6 10/22's for our sons and have a fondness for CCI in the target realm and Winchester X-perts HP for hunting. Seems like the new guns function better from the getgo with 40 grain bullets than the 36g. hollow point version as that extra weight seems to help move the action.

Actually I've been surprised most of the time with the accuracy out of the bulk ox ammo. You do find more under powered rounds, that you can hear, but the other 98% seem to group just fine. Obviously we are not talking match grade ammo here for competition. The best way is to try many different manufacturers to test, that is the best way to find the one that your shooters seem to like.

5. cmcinc

cmcinc

I have 3 10/22's and a few 22 pistols, I prefer CCI most of the time but have had good luck with Federal Champion too.

6. NO504ME

NO504ME

My SR22 doesn't like the federal auto match 325 round box.

7. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oh yes... I've had no problems with Federal Champion. But, I would not buy Federal Automatch again. It's not as bad as the Winchester bulk stuff. But, I do get some malfunctions with it in my semi-auto rimfires.

8. Twospot

Twospot

Blazer sucks in my SR22. Dirty garbage, but who am I to waste a free box of ammo?

9. Old School

Old School

Hate to give a difficult answer...but it's going to depend a lot on the rifle. Especially semi autos. I've seen one 10-22 love an ammo brand and a different 10-22 hate that brand. Same with Rem 597s, same with Marlin/Glenfield 60. To make things more complicated, there's lot to lot variation in the ammo.

Historically I've had the best luck with Federal 550s from Walmart. Winchester 555s and Rem Goldens just have a few more duds, but I've had better luck feeding with Rem Goldens. I've never had a Rem Golden fail in my Henry lever gun.

I only shoot plated .22s and clean the action (not so much the barrel) every time.

OldSchool64 likes this.
  10. AntHill

AntHill

Thanks you all. That gives me some sense of direction. I'll head out tomorrow and try a few brands mentioned.

11. Moby 68

Moby 68 Moby to replace my full name on my posts

I have found after trying many types and brands of .22 rimfire ammo I have found the American Eagle 40 grain ammo shoots really well for a decent price. Also for pistol and rifle target work standard speed ammo is the most accurate such as EleyTenex Eley ' Black Box these are 2 of the best but spendy. I have found that all rifles are a little different. So try some different ones high speed for plinking and critters and standard speed ammo for target work your rifle or pistol will let you know what it likes. GOOD SHOOTING

12. ede

ede

Not Remington

13. Moby 68

They have remington .22 ammo that has the Eley bullet but its not cheap you would be better off buying Eley match for the money.

14. powernoodle

powernoodle

15. Moby 68

Looking good!
    Looking good!

16. bac1023

bac1023

I've had good luck with Federal.

17. fgutie35

fgutie35

My 10/22 sportster with stainless steel barrel loves the Federal Classic (copper plated), like some one here mentioned, every rifle likes a specific round even if you have two identical rifles. The same brand I just mentioned, have been flawless in a Marlin rifle, a phoenix arms pistol and a Taurus PT-22.

18. bowzette

bowzette

CCI Standard Velocity. Good price, accurate, shoots clean.