close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bulge Buster

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Not sure if anyone has heard about this yet but Lee is now officially in the bulge busting business. Never to miss a opportunity to cash in on anther trend they have managed to come out with a $20 kit to turn your FCD into a bulge busthing machine. AMAZINGLY it looks a lot like their Bullet sizing kit punch that you use to push your cases through your previously already purchased FCD. It also has a nice little red case that sits on top to catch all those fixed cases. I predict lots of new post from people who think they need this $20 dudad to load 40 Short and Weak. I'm not sure if I can take this......

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/1855.pdf

2. LoadedTech

LoadedTech

C4W-I dont need any more dudad's anyway!

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Nah............

4. dudel

dudel

Followed Redding's lead. They even found a way to reuse their sizer. Smart move.

5. fredj338

fredj338

FINALLY! A good use for the LFCD.:upeyes:

6. thePirho

thePirho

I wonder if this would affect the 9mm hour glass.

7. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

I had a major problem with "the bulge" when I changed the barrel in my G22 to a Lone Wolf. I found about 10% of my reloads would not chamber properly.
    I changed from RCBS to a set of Lee dies and problem solved itself. If you already use Lee dies, I don't see the need.

8. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Push through dies won't work with tapered cases like the 9mm.

9. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

The High Road said that they are trying to find a way to do this on 9mm as well. It would require a new die and some way to remove the case that you now forced in the case and got stuck. Sounds like a great way to spend some time at your bench.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

RCBS have a huge tapered led in. No suprise. You get 100pts for not failing for the FCD bandaid. Maybe even 10000000000pts.

11. whitey4311

whitey4311

How about not loading near max and not bulging brass from the start?

I had Lee items at one point and they wont ever make it near my garage again. I dont get this whole FCD thing but I have no issues with properly loaded ammo and properly set up Dillon dies.

12. JesseCJC

JesseCJC

40 short an weak, lol nice. That's a first for me

13. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I got the email from the factory store. The funny part was, there was no indication of the caliber. So I googled it and found that they are offering it in several calibers even 380ACP. So why is everyone hating on 40SW? Soon we can look forward to posts about how to cure Glocked 380 brass...

14. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

So reading the PDF this caught my eye immediately... It is a disclaimer

"Do not use the Bulge Buster Kit to reload for the
    40 S&W Glock or similar guns with chambers that
    do not fully support the cartridge due to the
    intrusion of the feed ramp."

Being this is Glocktalk and the bulge issue is more vocalized in regards to Glocks particularly the .40 models. If the manufacturer does not recommend it's own product for such purposes. What is the point?:faint:

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Maybe to fix Glocked 10mm brass. Apparently thats perfectly safe now ;)

Seriously, That has always been my point. If a properly set up die does not fix you brass maybe, just maybe you should think twice about reloading it.

16. jing1117

jing1117

No thanks, a properly adjusted LEE sizing die would take care of the bulge. If the bulge does not go away after sizing I chuck it.

17. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I'm with you guys, have yet to have a problem with either the LEE dies on the LCT I had nor my SDB setup with .40 brass. All my .40 brass is once fired from mostly Glocks.

18. kimberguy2004

kimberguy2004

I've been doing this for some time. I use the body from a .40S&W FCD and the push rod from a 9MM bullet sizer on my Rock Chucker. I load .40 for a Para and use the barrel for a case guage. If I get a loaded round that won't drop into the chamber, I push it through the die and it removes the bulge. Occasionally you run into a case that just won't size all the way down and not necessisarily attributed to the "Glock buldge". It works great for that. I had the die and I think the push rod was around $9 plus shipping. It works for me, YMMV.

19. dudel

dudel

I don't think so. Most dies designed for use on progressive machines (Lee dies qualify), have a pronounced flare at the bottom to promote feeding of cases. Some have more flare, others have less. When you run the case into the die, you can't go past the shell holder/plate. The part of the brass between the holder and where the flare ends does not get sized. That's ususally the area that's unsupported and gets the bulge.

Lee's not the first with this. Redding, a company that normally gets high praise for their dies (and rightly so), started this with their GSX series of dies.

Companies don't normally tool up for a product unless they see a market. Lee waited to see if Redding suceeded before jumping in.

I think it was clever of Lee to reuse their boolit sizing product. Very clever. Cost them peanuts to repurpose a product into another market.

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Have you even seen one? I don't see a flare on my Lees. Nothing like RCBS. It's nearly flat. The radiaus is so minor it's difficult to even measure the distance from the flat of the bottom of the die to the atual face of the part that starts sizing.