close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bulgarian Mak... thoughts?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by UniversalBrow06, Feb 5, 2010.

1. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Aim has a few Bulgarian Maks going for $269.95. Apparently in pretty decent condition with just a bit of holster wear. Comes with a holster and an extra mag.

Good buy? Bad buy?

I've kinda wanted a Mak for a while now to accompany my CZ-82. I have a good supply of 9x18, and they seem a decent poor mans CC pocket pistol.

2. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

They are decent,very easily concealable.Accuracy is darn good too.

Im not too keen though on the round itself as a stopper.its better than nothing and better than a 380 and would have been much cheaper to shoot.Fed mine barnaul jhp.

I bought one back when they were cheap,as in 79 dollars cheap.I wished a month ago I still had it.269 is more than I would pay for one now when I can go modern hicap and better caliber selection for a few bucks more.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010

3. sputnik767

sputnik767

I really think these guns are overpriced at $269. I have a Bulgarian one as well. It is a great gun, very accurate, and easily concealable. Reliability is incredible, mine had no problems with any ammo, from Gold Dot gun show reloads, to the zoo brands, to Fiocchi hollowpoints, etc. Sights are very small and hard to see though. Fit and finish though are rather awful, machining marks everywhere, and rusts very easily. Mine rusted when I left it in my truck toolbox along with a cooler that leaked. A few hours in a wet leather holster, and I pulled out a block of rust. I have since Duracoated it. Anyway, 2 years ago, you could get a Sig P6 for the same price, and I saw an East German Mak at a gun show last year for a little over $300. Let me tell you, the fit and finish on that gun is light-years away from the bulgarian. It was damn near perfect. I just couldn't justify buying another one.

4. Puppy

Puppy

I never cared for Makarovs, there are just so many other (better) pistols to spend money on IMHO

5. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Even though I paid $139 for my Bulgarian Mak, I wouldn't take $269 for it!

Reliability is perfect.....accuracy is tough to beat.

I have heard of poor machining and finishing on Bulgarian Makarovs, but mine is decent. It does irritate me that CAI re-serialized it rather sloppily.....but, that's another story. I heard that Russian numbers weren't allowed......so, it was necessary.

I wouldn't have a problem betting my life that this Makarov would be dependable.......!

hog

[​IMG]

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

For a blowback pistol of its type and power level. it is still a fair buy IMO given a Bersa orFirestorm are in the same price range. It's all steel and well proven to work. cheap mags. parts and ammo is still less than .380.

7. tim43

tim43

I paid less for mine a few years ago, but then, a lot of things and firearms were less a few years ago. I'd pay that price now. They won't drop in price.

8. seed

seed

I fully agree.

9. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Id pay that if I didnt already have one. I also have a Russian commercial version. You would be hard pressed to find a tougher more reliable pistol that size, IMHO. 9x18 is a decent round for a small handgun. I dont bother with hollowpoints, Id rather be sure of penetration.

I carried mine alot before I got a PF9 and my Kahr.

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The price on Makarovs just keeps going up. There wasn't one below $300 at the last couple gun shows.

I've bought several Makarovs from AIM. The condition was better than advertised.

11. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

M2, youve probably got more Maks in inventory than Aim. :cool:

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Maybe not more but I have a better selection.:supergrin:

[​IMG]

13. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

I am amused by the reverse snobbery concerning east bloc guns.
    I mean by that anything eastern bloc is seen as some mystical fighting machine and everyone loves them
    Whether a Norinco, a Mak, if it's imported, it gets high praise.

The truth is if this was an American gun it would be laughed at. The russian ones are ok, but the bulgs usually have some atrocious fit and finish. I guess you could call it a finish.
    The kicker is the trigger. Has there been a worse one ever made? It has to be top 5 lousiest triggers of all time.
    Sorry, but just because some commie made it doesn't make it top quality in my book, let the price keep going up, I ain't buying.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I took a new Bulgarian Mak and tried to make it malfunction through a thousand rounds.
    No gun caused malfunctions.

Sank it in mud.
    [​IMG]

Left it in water.
    [​IMG]

Heavily greased it and left it in the freezer.
    [​IMG]

Filled the inside of the gun with "pocket lint".
    [​IMG]

Did a number of other things to the gun but it just kept on shooting and shooting pretty well.
    [​IMG]

15. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

I remember when I'd go to gun shows and every other dealer was practically throwing these guns at you, begging you to buy them for $100. Now you can't get one anywhere. Makarovs were Glocks before Glocks existed. They were the AK-47 of the pistol world - they took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. Still do. Where else can you get a blowback operated, all steel weapon with a chrome lined barrel for $175? Nowhere anymore, it seems. But as of 5 years ago they could be found by the dozens in any pawn shop.

Makarovs are GREAT guns. Very accurate, VERY reliable, easily concealable, and fire an acceptable CCW round. And if you run out of ammo, you can beat the bad guy to death with it. Try that with an LCP.

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

You can trim down 9mm brass and load light weight 9mm and 38 bullets.

Even though the Mak bore is .364, 9mm (.355) and 38 (.357) bullets function well and are right accurate.

The Mak also shoots lead bullets well. The most accurate load I've seen is a lead bullet.

The gun will even do very well at 100 yards (but I don't do very well anymore).
    [​IMG]

17. GlockBill

GlockBill

Worth $269? - I guess it depends on your intended use. If you want one as a carry gun, I'd say that there are better choices for around the same amount of money. If you just want one because they're a classic and you just want a great pistol, then it may be a good choice.

I bought a nice EG Makarov around 10 years ago, right after the sweet deals on the Bulgarian models were widely available. I wish that I'd picked up a couple of Bulgarians for $100 or so.

Good luck.

18. 45caldan

45caldan

I like them but I also factor in the price. As mentioned, they were a MUCH better deal before but for $269 you won't buy a better/more reliable pistol.

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

When I bought my first Makarov (East German) I said these are $400 guns selling for $135.
    I never thought I'd pay that much but I've bought a couple Maks for $300+.

The local gun store just got a nice Russian .380. They have a price of $365 on it and they will get it, but not from me.:)

20. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

I may have to look into buying one of these!