close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bulbs in the darkroom

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsKitty, Mar 11, 2007.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

OK, I have hope of getting this thing going sometime soon.

My safelight is a "box" with interchangabe filters but I don't recall the brand/model. My enlarger is a 23C (which seems to be a pretty good one reading up on them).

I know after so long in storage I need bulbs. Even if the ones in there are "good" they won't last no time.

My question is: how many spare bulbs do I need? Is one of each sufficient? I haven't checked to see which ones I need yet but I figure I am going to have to order them as Lowe's won't stock them. If I order, might as well get at least one spare of each when I do. Is one of each enough? Or do the bulbs go fast?

I didn't tell you guys my find! I walked into Goodwill a few weeks ago and a photographer's entire library was in there! The Kodak series on photography (yellow books), several darkroom books, and other topics! I bought a LOT of them only culling out books that were too basic for me or repeats of what I have! (I am an avid reader of many different kinds of books and Goodwill is a great place to browse for used books! :))

2. krinkov

krinkov Shutter Maniac

If you're talking about the safelight, there used to be a housing that you attached to a regular household bulb. A red-filter gave off the necessary lighting hue needed. It's been a while since I was in the darkroom myself but I know the choice of safelight is critical. There were times when I ruined prints simply because the safelight was off-color. Tinted-bulbs, based on my experience never lasted long so the housing might be a good choice. I don't have as many books as you have so maybe you can check out what I'm talking about. Nice to know someone out there still shoots film! I still have Kodak Tri-X stock waiting to be shot!

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

This is a "box" safelight with the interchangable filters. I can either set it on a table or mount it on the wall.

I have stuff I have no idea what to do with or how it works or anything! All in boxes but I am getting closer by the day! :banana:

I am sure I will figure it all out someday. I am just awed that I inherited a darkroom! :supergrin:

4. krinkov

krinkov Shutter Maniac

You are one of the lucky handful. If I had a darkroom, what joy it would be to shoot purely in black and white!!!! It's a pity that I can't get much by way of chemicals and paper where I am. It's even difficult to find a photo shop that does 120 film rolls as I'm stuck with a few rolls.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

My uncle was pastoring a church many years ago. My father had just bought a Nikon 2020. A church member who was a retiring photographer was moving away from here. He had asked my uncle if he knew anybody who would *use* a darkroom. He didn't know anybody in the church and since my father had just bought the camera, he got them in touch with each other. It was given under one condition: that it couldn't be sold. If he later didn't want it, he had to give it away. Well, about a year ago I decided to try some film and I LOVE it so much more than digital...now I have a box of chemicals in the living room, all the equipment in my car and am cleaning out a corner of the basement.

Makes me wonder if God sent me a darkroom, especially considering how many doors has opened up with photography for me. I think it may become my fulltime career in a few years, if not sooner... :)

Two years ago, I had never used anything other than a p-n-s. Now I am ordering film, by the dozens :rofl: