Building your own log cabin?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by MastaDeLePoque, Dec 2, 2005.

1. MastaDeLePoque

MastaDeLePoque

I am thinking of buying the following property in Brown County, Indiana. I would like to build my own log cabin on it for hunting, camping, etc....Has anyone ever done this?

Indy

Pic of land(5 acres, $25K):

[​IMG]

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

You might want to contact "Satter & White, Log Homes," in Longview , Tx. 1-800-777-7288

One of my brothers is a contractor in N.M. and builds log homes, among other things, and i build log furniture, (when i have the time), as an "on the side thing, from time to time." I do know that my brother has had their logs sent to him all the way from Tx. for certain projects.

I have used some of their logs for my furniture building.
    They may still have "kits" available for the log houses, 'yes kits.' Don'tlet that scare you away, it is very upscale stuff, and done this way, for the guy like you, that wants to 'do it himself.'

Most of the timber is dead standing spruce, and pine as well, from Colo. Give them a call, PM me if i can help you further.

Building one is a project to be sure, if it is done right, but it does all depend too, on what you are wanting, small hunting cabin, get away, or full blown two story home! Give S&W a call.

CanyonMan

3. CatD6R

CatD6R

Satterwhite log homes offers fully built shells, materials packages (kits) or they will also sell just the logs, but at a premium price. I have been in several of these homes before, and i must say they are amazing. They have models ranging all the way from a barn up to a 3000sq/ft home.

4. Sharker

Sharker

I stayed with a guy in Maine, and his cabin was made from the odds (the pieces left over when they cut the logs to size (after they have been milled and grooved)) This cabin was awesome, and he spent about $5K to build it. He built it in the spring, it only took a few months for him to do it. I could tell you more, but dont want to bore you with the details if your not interested.

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

As i said when i spoke to you on the 'PM,' i was pretty sure SW still had the kits... here is the link. http://www.satterwhite-log-homes.com/g4/pages/plans/default.html

Click on the style, and floor plan you want, and the prices are on the right side.

I have made some beautiful log beds out of the spruce they have, and their 'timber is all first rate.' I mostly use aspen form NM for the furniture, or cedar from here in TX. But i 'do know,' that from what i've seen, and my brother has used to build homes with, they are great people to deal with, and the spruce is high quality for the home construction

HTH's

CanyonMan

6. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

sounds really cool..... I'd love to have a cabin like that, especially had I MADE it myself.

i'll be following this thread .... :)

7. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

Sounds like a guy I know not too far from Moosehead Lake. There's also a place just outside of Pittsburg,NH that a guy did that.;c

8. Blah!

Blah! Guest

I assembled several of there kits bout 10 years ago it was fun. Hard work but fun.

9. Castigliano

Castigliano

I wanted a log cabin too, but than I talked to owners of them and the maintenance can be intensive. Think about this before you pull the trigger. I went with a very low maintenance steel shell that I am finishing the inside. I figure someday I want to enjoy the lake and not work on the cabin or other things. Not sure what the eventual home will be.
    I think a stable laminated log design is out there now and that would be the cats meow.
    Your local library will probably have books if you build it yourself. My lake neighbor built a log home that he invented a lathe and milling machine to have perfect round 16 foot logs that nest together better than any other log cabin I have seen. He wants to start a business building these homes someday so watch for a guy from Debs, Minnesota or Leonard MN if you don't build for a while.

Very nice looking lot.
    c

10. Castigliano

Castigliano

11. lomfs24

lomfs24

I am relatively certain that this has been done before. In fact, I have even seen a few log cabins before.

12. Sharker

Sharker

lomfs24, that was good.

Rugerfan, yeah... maybe the same guy... in Wellington..

13. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI

Excellent link CanyonMan, I love those designs!

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Yep, they have some 'really cool stuff.'

These 'pre-cut,' are still a 'MAJOR task,' and if 'done right,' it takes time, and hard work, but it truly yeilds a great home/barn/guest house etc, at a really low cost. ;)

CanyonMan

15. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

Live in rural MT with log homes all over the place. Have a few friends who live full time in them. Over the years each and every one of them (mostly the wives) get tired of logs,Logs, LOGS all the time. So they end up taking at least ONE room and panelling or sheetrocking it. Seems the bathroom is the room of choice.

MAINTENANCE. Don't fail to look into this item. How are the logs sealed?? Very important unless you like drafts and bugs, and I mean lots of bugs. For some reason despite our cold winters log homes out here can be real havens for flies and box elder bugs.

I would use a qualified builder with seasoned logs. I've seen a few log shacks built by unqualified people and they are basically stacks of fire wood.

FN in MT

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

FNM,

The only way to build a log home/structure,is to use "seasoned logs."
    This is the 'first prerequisit' to proper home building. One does not need a qualified builder, if #1.. they have the proper materials, #2.. they know what they are doing, and 3#...We have NEVER had a problem with bugs, not any kind of bugs, and #4.. you don't build a log home, if you don't like logs! ;)

This is "one" of the best insulators, you can construct, other than the adobe houses, we have worked on in NM. Sorry your friends have had problems, this has not been the case with ANY home we have, or constructed with my brother, and all materials are top grade. Can't imagine getting tired of logs.

CanyonMan

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Say, what the heck ever happened to the ole boy that started this thread? Man i came in here to try and help this guy out, and he vanished? ;g

Maybe he's out builing his cabin! ;f

CM

18. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

Canyon Man,

Taking my comments a little personal?? Just trying to pass on a few ideas.

My comment on using a "good builder and seasoned logs" was added as I have seen a few people cut trees on a monday, debark that week and place them the next weekend. hence my comment on "stacks of firewood".

FN in MT

19. Castigliano

Castigliano

Frank In Montana brings up some valid points. Logs get tired to look at and darken with age too. They also gather dust at an unreal rate so wives start to hate them.
    The worst thing I heard is when you need to re-apply preservative every few years with a pressure washer and the chemicals smell inside the structure. What does that do to the dwellers???
    A good compromise is flat logs on the insides for conventional finishing.
    Insurance companies hate log homes too. You can not repair a fire damaged area easily.
    And the last problem is... if the water does not drain well away from the foundation or the roof overhang not enough, the bottom 2 logs rot.
    These are things I found out talking to people that owned homes.
    c

20. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat