close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Building, "Glock the Plates"

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Bull.40, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Bull.40

Bull.40 23 19 17

jlewis was kind enough to send me some pics of a plate rack he uses. If anyone else has pics or advise for building the plates setup please help me out.

Glock says the plates should be 1 foot apart, is that from center of plates or a 1 foot gap between the plates? How high off the ground should the plates be? Thanks for any help

2. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

The plates are 12" Edge-to-Edge = 18" Center-to-Center. 8" Diameter. About 48" up to the center of the plates from the ground (this last number is an estimate).

I made my plate-rack frame from 2x4's (I'm the only shooter who uses it) but protected the cross piece with C-channel on the face of that 2x4. At first, I had a reset mechanism in use, but I didn't build in an easy way to tune the knock-over-force variable (torque, really). So, I ended up flipping the whole cross-bar over, and reattaching it to the ends. Now, the plates just hang from their hinges - and ring-n-swing when hit. Works for .22 to .44 MAG.

My plates are 3/8" thick and about 55-60 Rockwell 'C'.

The only drawbacks to the swinging setup are remembering which plate I missed when I get to the end of the string . . . "Was it #2 or #3 . . ." and the lack of accurately duplicating a REAL Bainchi Plate Rack. But mine cost me $75. to build, not $750 to 1200 to buy. ;f