Building a standard blaster

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Kiddo, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Kiddo

Kiddo

How much would be the approximate cost in building a blaster for standard division? Whats a good base pistol? Thanks BOGs. :)

Edit: is the Armscor M1911-A2-40 a good base pistol or do you guys recommend other brands/models? btw, this is still in planning stage. need money pa. just planning in advance. hehe. might cancel the biking plans.

2. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

If you have the money, S_I platform is the way to go. Or Para/SPS in the middle ground. If you wanna be cheap, Armscor.

Remember, any of those guns can take you to any level you want to go. It's just a question of dedication and the amount of money you have for ammo. ;)

3. jasonub

jasonub

i think oliver is selling his pistol rig etc.

4. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Malapit na yata yung bagong pistol eh. ;f

5. Kiddo

Kiddo

Hmm... How much would modifying an Armscor for standard division be? Will it be less expensive than, say, just getting a Glock for production division? I am thinking about giving up other extra hobbies and just concentrate on shooting and running as my physical fitness since college is very hectic. Thanks for your replies guys. :)

6. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

At the current cost of glocks and it's mags now? Yep! Just don't go overboard with the extra bells, whistles and leather straps....okay, the leather straps you can indulge a litlle. ;f

7. Kiddo

Kiddo

Thanks for the input mc_o! Which Armscor model would you recommend as the platform for the standard gun? Around how much would the FA + license cost? :)

BTW, is a commander size 1911 okay for standard or is it really better to get a full sized one? I was thinking of the commander since maybe when PTC comes back and I'm old enough to get one, I may carry the 1911. Its still under long term goals though so no rush. ;f

8. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Recently inquired from Squires regarding their Buddy 9mm widebody for my modified (or open ;f) project sana. Total cost including license was around 21K. If you're competing, go fullsize. Primary factor being sight radius and longer barrel w/c is easier to make major.

At that price, you can get another one for carry and have it chopped up.

Another alternative is to chop the frame just enough to get a full-grip. Get another barrel and slide and have it cut to commander length. Fit it in your existing frame so you end up with two slides; one for carry and the other for competing.

;)

9. Kiddo

Kiddo

Which Armscor model is this Buddy 9mm? How about their full size .40? Is the 21k only the firearm+license or with modifications na? Is the Armscor good to go right out of the box or kelangan pa ng konting smithing and replacement sa other parts? Thanks for being patient with my questions mc_o! ;f

10. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

The Buddy line is cheaper kasi mey mga cosmetic flaws like imperfect na blueing process. And the reason for the 9mm is because it's 12K (excluding license pa) cheaper than when you buy one in 40. They're all full-size guns. I'm not sure kung mey commander na widebody even.

With the 12K you saved, you can get a 40 barrel and have it fit. I'm willing to bet you'll still have extra for front strap rounding and checkering. Hold-off on the chrome job until you've shot at least 10K sa baril mo.;)

11. Kiddo

Kiddo

mc_o, is the Buddy line new sa Armscor? Its not in their website kasi. Aside from the imperfect blueing, are there other flaws or differences between the Buddy and the standard models of Armscor? What brand of .40 barrel should be purchased and how much would it be? Do I need to get another slide since the one that came with the firearm is for 9mm? How about magazines? So many questions. ;a

12. royal glockster

royal glockster

Me? am building an STI standard 2011 longdust, the upper is almost complete. Bought an armscor barrel as starter saka na replace ng schuemann or nowlin pag sobra na bogbog. No lower frame yet, already costs me almost 30k for the upper pa lang. Benta ko SAM Falcon ko and TAurus PT92 ko just to buy the frame, no buyer yet. Baka nxt week dispose ko na old guns ko. :cool:

13. Kiddo

Kiddo

Thats pretty cool royal glockster! S_I guns are out of the question for me though. I'm still a college freshman and I'm planning to build the standard gun out of my senior high school and summer allowance savings. ;f Its sort of my personal reward that I'm finally through high school and onto another phase in life. ;a

14. Mykhell

Mykhell

kiddo, im also interested in building a gun similar to what you are planning.

mc_o, idol!, please give us more tips on bulding a project gun.

15. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I only saw the Armscor Buddy line in last year's gun show. Probably missed it in years past but I doubt.

I'm not sure what other imperfections are present kasi 'di ko pa nabili eh. But any imperfection can be "resolved" by the smith. Besides, shoot your gun enough in comps and you'll introduce more imperfections than the factory can ever will...well except probably kung bad mold sa casting. ;f

You can use the Armscor barrels as long as you have it fit right. Of course, going for the higher quality barrels if you can afford it isn't a bad idea either.

You can use the same slide na 9mm in 40. The smith may just have to open the breech face a little, teeny bit. And if you want to use the old 9mm barrel, pwede rin. Either tweak mo exiting extractor or have a spare one for it.

As for mags, mecgars. I can see no point spending 4-5K on a para mag when I can get the same reliability with mecgars for 2K. ;)

Lastly, when selecting your smith, make sure you trust him and that you've seen guns he built that actually run. It would also be a plus if he shoots IPSC.

And in all else, of course, YMMV. ;f

16. gunfool

gunfool

Oliver, Is it possible to buy only the cal 40 armscor frame? Then buy na rin ako ng SAM slide and a high end barrel. Lakas ng dating kasi nung post mong heavyweight! :)

17. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Last year I asked. I was quoted a price of 15K. The same price for their buddy na completo na. Weird price scheme. ;Q

18. gunfool

gunfool

Medyo weird nga! Anyway, antay ko na lang gunshow and from there i will decide. Thanks!;)

19. Kiddo

Kiddo

So after purchasing an Armscor buddy 9mm, all I have to replace are the barrel, magazines and extractor and have the smith open up the breechface a bit? Does it require further smithing or is it ipsc reliable after that?

BTW, i read a thread at BE.com that Charles Daly guns are POS. Charles Daly is a.k.a. Armscor right? The thread made me step back a notch or two. What is the current reality with Armscor guns? The thread can be found here.

Edit to add: I found another thread here which also bashes the Charles Daly 1911s and discusses that most 1911s under $600 or so would not last long or would just suck from the beginning. ;g

20. Kiddo

Kiddo