close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Building a plate rack

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Melissa5, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Melissa5

Melissa5

Here's my first go at a home made plate rack. The plates were $85 delivered. Then add $42 to get door hinges welded onto the bottom of the plates. The sawhorse kits cost $14. The door hinges cost $10. I had four 2 x 4's left over from a previous project. I screwed 3 plates each onto 2 boards I had left over from taking an old book shelf apart. I'm thinking that I'll drill holes in the book shelves so that they will fit over screws on the main 2 x 4. That should make it easy to put together and take apart. I got started late today and didn't get to shoot it. Also, I haven't decided what to use to reset the plates when they are down.

[​IMG]

2. Melissa5

Melissa5

I worked on the plate rack some more last week. Drilled holes for 3" bolts to attach the 2 x 4's to the sawhorses and to attach the boards with the plates to the 2 x 4. Upon knocking over a few plates, I found that I needed another 2 x 4 behind the plates to make it more stable. Then I used gate hinges to attach a 2 x 2 with an eye screw and rope on the end to reset the plates. The sawhorses aren't sturdy enough and will need to be braced for my reset mechanism to work correctly. I need more 2 x 4's or a set of folding steel sawhorses. In this picture you can see how the hinges were welded onto the bottom of the plates and how the reset mechanism looks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

3. Melissa5

Melissa5

I'll work on this some more this week and hopefully get to use it a lot before the Griffin match. I'm planning to mount one or two 2 x 4's in front of the bottom of the plates to absorb any stray bullets. Those will be easier to replace than the main 2 x 4's or the boards that the plates are mounted on.

4. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

wow, that's nice..

I like.

BTW, those plates racks we used from GSSF are $1600.00 a piece.

Greg

5. Melissa5

Melissa5

Thanks! I googled plate racks and the lowest price I could find was $800. So far, this project is still under $200.

6. CUTigers2002

CUTigers2002

You could get a piece of 2 inch angle iron and mount in front of 2x4 to protect the board and your hinges at bottom of plates. It would also add to the weight, which may help in resetting the plates when you pull the rope. Looks really nice...great job.

7. Melissa5

Melissa5

Thanks! Good idea! I'll look into that.

8. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

yea, but Melissa, ya know ur not going to be hitting the bottom of the plate hinges and board like I do!!

9. Melissa5

Melissa5

I was on my best behavior when shooting the plates at Charleston, but I have been known to shoot like a wild monkey on crack! :embarassed:

10. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

LOL, LOVE IT.

I just need to remember that. (being on my best behavior)

If I had just ran my plates, in all 3 divisions, no matter what the time run was, I would have done my goal of sub 200 in all three divisions.

Gosh, it just ticks me off, but there is no one else to blame but myself.

I think I need to tape something like "Slow down on plates' on my hand before I approach the stage.

I even asked (e-mailed) Bob on the way down, if he had a practice bay with plates setup....he said yea....

did I go and prractice prior to doing my plates? Of couse not, forgot all about it....I'm an idiot.
    Greg

11. njl

njl

Very cool. Have you shot it yet? My experience with plate racks and wood tells me the wood parts under the plates are going to get all chewed up and full of lead/jacket fragments (and thats even if you don't have any direct bullet strikes). Expect all that to get nasty in a hurry. If this works out, it might even be worth cladding the wood surface with a thin sheet of steel...and of course the angle iron in front of the 2x4 is a good one. Sooner or later, someone will shoot low. Many a dead chronograph will back that up.

12. Melissa5

Melissa5

No, I haven't shot it yet.

13. Melissa5

Melissa5

I found a 6 ft. x 2 in. x 1/8" thick Steel Flat Plate at Home Depot for $14 that may be useful to protect things. Also, a 2 in. x 48 in. steel Angle 3/16 " thick. With the addition of several of those, the plate rack will be inching toward $250 but it may last a lot longer.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  14. CUTigers2002

CUTigers2002

If there is a scrap yard/junk yard near you, you can usually get angle iron/flat steel for scrap prices....probably around $1/pound.

15. Melissa5

Melissa5

Another excellent idea. Thanks!

16. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

TMI :rofl:TMI:supergrin:

We all want to be, "One with the plates!"

I just slow down and ensure I get a frontsight on the next one...

As I told RPGMAN, Ya can't miss fast enough to win!

17. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Grasshopper, Slow down!:cool: GSSF rewards accuracy! Speed comes later.:whistling:

Of course we could all, "Shoot like a monkey on crack!" when it comes to the plates but I got to hit'em too. Those 10 sec penalites REALLY HURT!

18. Melissa5

Melissa5

19. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

20. Mal55

Mal55

Here are a couple pictures of a practice plate rack I built a few weeks before the Topton, PA Glock Match. It does not require a re-set rope. Mal

Attached Files: