close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Building a moisture proof/resistant room

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DTLarson, Jun 14, 2012.

1. DTLarson

DTLarson

I'm looking for advice on what to use to make a moisture proof/resistant room in my basement. I did a google search but couldn't find any good answers.

I live in New England where it gets nice and humid in the summer, especially in my basement. I have run a 70 pint a day dehumidifier and it didn't come close to making a dent in the humidity.

My basement is a cement floor with the bottom half of the walls rocks and cement. The upper half of the walls in the basement are brick. The cost and time to put the water sealing paint on all the walls and floor in the basement would be prohibitive.

My plan is to use the water sealing paint on the floor and build a free 10'x10' standing room just for storage ontop of that area using 2x4's and plywood. I'm wondering what is recommended to put on the walls to prevent or slowdown moisture from getting through. I'm going to put the dehumidifier in the room to take out moisture which gets through.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I think you are overthinking here, but since you ask...

Just line everything with 7mil plastic and paint anything porous with a laquer.

3. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

4. Jake514

Jake514

If the basement walls and floor did not have plastic placed under the concrete when originally poured, any paint now applied will most likely blister off from the vapor pressure.

I would consider building a separated "room" above and not directly connected to the existing floor/walls. A 2" surrounding air space is fine. Use vapor barrier and moisture barrier layers in the new room walls, floor and ceiling and put the dehumidifier inside.

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

As stated above simply visqueen and tape all joints the ceiling, walls and floor and a door with a good seal. You can not build a moisture proof room however a humidity/moisture controlled room is easy and I think thats what your looking for. Also keep in mind that too little humidity is just as bad as too much. Wood will split and paper will crumble with too little humidity.

/

6. earl simmons

earl simmons karate

Don't do this. Water vapor is going to enter the subroom; this will just help trap it. Use a good dehumidifier in the room, a desiccant unit if necessary.

7. kahoys

kahoys

air tight room, charged with nitrogen.:supergrin:

8. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.