close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Building a mail server.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by lomfs24, Feb 23, 2005.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

Building a mail server. What to do, what do I need?

I am trying to build a mail server. I am using Slackware 10. Sendmail is running and I believe I also have IMAP running. I have a small test webserver right now. I also have virtual domains that may or maynot have email in the future.

I want to be able to build a pop3 mailserver that will allow users to send and recieve email without having to actually log onto the server. In otherword, they can use their own mail client on their own machines to send and recieve email with the domain name.

eg. joe@mydomain.com

I will also, in the future, have a mailing list that will send one email a month so that needs to be a consideration as well.

Any ideas and/or well written tutorials. BTW, I don't think man pages are well written tutorials. ;f

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

3. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

4. Dandapani

Dandapani

Use qmail rather than sendmail. Sendmail is notoriously buggy with all kinds of holes. qmail is rock solid. It already has POP3 built in.

Why IMAP? Is that a requirement of your users to keep their mail on the server? Most sites use POP3 and let the client d/l the mail to their system. Granted, I prefered IMAP when I had a choice, but as an admin, you are now responsible for all that storage. User's never clean up after themselves unless forced to (on their own PC).

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

Thank you everyone for the links and suggestions.

dmobrien2001, to answer your question directly, IMAP is not a requirement, but I was simply listing it among my assests that someone may want to know about in order to give suggestions.