close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Building a gaming desktop (motherboard question)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by breech, Sep 25, 2004.

1. breech

breech

I'm attempting to build one with a help of a friend that is knowledgeable. What I want to research on my own is what motherboard to use. I'm looking at something under $200 that will support individual components (sound card, video card). I'll most likely be running a Pentium 4 processor. I want to build something pretty dang powerful. What do you guys recommmend?

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Some of this is just opinion here...

Its hard to find a motherboard that doesn't have everything under the sun integrated. Personally, Integrated Audio doesn't bother me, but Video is another thing completely. The one or two boards that I have used that have video, I usually disable and install a card.

In my opinion... You never go wrong with Abit or Asus. I've had pretty good luck with Gigabyte, and burned out a Chaintech board in about 6mo of normal use(Replaced with an Asus, and have had no problems since)...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=182

IGF

3. breech

breech

IGF,

So you CAN disable the integrated components? I don't mind then if you can 'turn them off' so to speak. I haven't checked out Tiger Direct. I will do so now.

;c

4. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

correct, you can turn any/all of them off. in my experience, video is usually automatically turned off when you install an AGP card, but you have to manually turn off the onboard audio.

if you haven't checked out newegg, http://newegg.com , you should at least look at them.

edited to add: better link http://www.newegg.com/app/ListProdu...g=280&DEPA=0&description=&sortby=22&orderby=1

advice: stay away from "PC chips" brand.

5. breech

breech

Thanks for the quick replies.. ;a

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The best board I have ever built a system around is the one I am using right here.

The Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.

There is a P4C800 Deluxe, but pass it by. You might save $15, or even less, but you give up several benefits. You want the Intel 875 Canterwood chipset, no matter the board choise, to run HT and PAT.

For example, the Extended version has a better (ICH5-R) southbridge that supports an IDE RAID array. This is in addition to the two SATA RAID jacks and the four P-ATA channels. I currently run three hard drives; an IDE RAID 0 consisting of two 80GB Western Digital drives w/8MB buffers, and one 80GB Maxtor Diamond9 8MB buffered HDD, which holds over a dozen partitions that I run a variety of Linux distros from....

To answer your question: yes, most every onboard component can be disabled in BIOS. I use an Audigy sound card and a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. I had to disable the AC '97 chip in BIOS...took about 5 seconds. Totally jumper free.

This board cost me about $175. There are boards out there (MSI and Abit) that cost more and are not nearly as powerful or user-friendly.

This board, four 256MB (or 512MB...budget-dependent) sticks of high-quality PC3200 and a decent 800MHz FSB-capable 3.0GHz "C" or "E" (or an "EE" if you really want to fly) will set you up with an extremely solid platform that will work well for years to come.

Might I also suggest that you look into the GeForce 6600GT series of graphics cards that are now out...The 6800Ultra is the best of the best, of course. Get the 6600 if you want to spend $200, the 6800 if you have $500 burning a hole in your pocket.

Good luck,

FastVFR

PS. BTW, I use www.pricewatch.com for all my shopping needs.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I also prefer PriceWatch.com. I pointed him to TigerDirect, because I usually use their site like a "catalog" to read about different models, get tech info, etc.. Then buy through Pricewatch. :)

Also, FWIW, I've gotten excellent service in the past from http://www.aberdeeninc.com

Best wishes
    IGF

8. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

Often finding the best price on a dealer on PriceWatch doesn't yield the best buying experience. I've found that the slightly higher prices you pay at NewEgg or Aberdeen is well worth it if you have a problem and need customer service. The bottom priced places often don't want to hear about any problems you have.

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Good point, Soujurn.

For me, it is always a plus to see the lowest possible prices, then to sort the dealers by ratings to see where the REAL value lies.

10. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

I like the msi boards have found them to be a very stable and tweakable board. I have just finished a pc for myself and it has all the newest parts i could find here is a list .. msi84rt board and amd 3400 64 bit 1 meg cache pross ATHALON.6800 ultra video card 2 gigs of ram two 250 gig hard drives and santa cruz 7.1 sound card..And have a nice case and kool led fans and lights and it is flawless.In my opinion u cant go wrong builing i have built this machine at half the cost of what you could purchace.. And have put up some nice benchmark scores that beat the best alienware on the market..One thing i do suggest is a good fan.. Here is pic u will see fan and fan speed controler it will move 75 cfms of air..

11. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

12. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

13. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

So, what gets a computer geek excited these days ... neon lights and fan controllers? ;f

14. GLOCKFAN4LIFE

GLOCKFAN4LIFE

Well sir more so than your lame *** reply lol...