Building a bolt action rifle.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Shawn 3212, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Shawn 3212

Shawn 3212

I have been looking for a high quality bolt action rifle and while there are several high quality options out there, very few are available for lefties, which I am. I own a savage axis and a Remington 700 in .270 and .243, respectively. Both are left handed and I love both of them. (Pretty sure the Remington was made before they went to crap) but I have been looking for something along the lines of a Winchester model 70. Not the most expensive, I know, but more than that savage. I decided I should just build my own, it’s probably gonna be a little pricey, anyone got any advice? My first question is, what is the thickness on a barrel with a No. 5 taper? It seems like a thicker barrel but I don’t know anything about that yet. I’m trying to build something light enough to carry into the backcountry hunting, but I also want this rifle to be as accurate as I can get it, hence the question about the thicker barrel. I’m going to build it in .308 Winchester.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1

As accurate as you can get it probably will have as much to do with ammo used as the build . Know idea if each barrel companys tapper is the same so check the companies sites to check tapper ! With a 308 hunter what are you expecting for accuracy at what yardage under best of conditions ??

Today it a good chance you can buy a tika t3x or savage non apex or weatherby or browning maybe a bergara b14 ridge rifle and have a factory rifle capable of being atop quality hunter with a moa or sub moa accuracy with factory ammo . What scope you planning on using !! Today with barnes tps bullets I'd pick a 243 or 6.5 creedmoor .

I still use an old rem 788 with trigger upgrade the same equally as old 2.5-10 scope bought in '76 . Still a solid moa rifle or minute of heart rifle at 300 to 350 yard if I'm up to it but its really my swamp , creek , deep woods rifle . I also have a mild custom 7mm RM that's a clear cut rifle I had built 20 years but today I can buy a fine long range hunter for well less money you just have to be spot on with yards to make a good shot .

For a walk and stalk hunter Buy and try a a Bonnie Packer Safari Sling , Video on it sucks ! But you wear your rifle across your chest muzzle up or down some or level if a short rifle , it adjust to you easily . You can simply raise to shoulder and fire . You can also walks hands free but at the ready unlike shoulder slings . I wear bino harness set up rather high on my chest and my rifle just under nether it no and I'll rest my elbows on the rifle at times to scan with the binos . Used this sling set up for about 30 years and can wear a back pack with it too . https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2262497974/

Anyhow good luck and try the sling

3. es 350

es 350

While any rifle can be "made" accurate/precise ...for an off the shelf rifle i dont think the Savage line can be beat especially for the money!

I have 3 , 112 FV's (22 250&308) and a 110 in 300 Win.

While not the prettiest rifle out there or the lightest , best balanced they far beyond their price point.

Added advantage to Savage platform is anybody with a little mechanical skill can change calibers/barrels in their garage with a pre chambered pre fit barrel.
    Providing a same length action and bolt face caliber is chosen..... can even swap bolt face if needed.

All 3 of my Savages are "fly killers" at 100 yds with my handloads.
    When done shooting i sometimes take one shot at the 4 thumb tacks holding target to backer, has never taken more than 4 and have hit all 4 everytime i tried!!!

Lost all my pics on phone , still have some of the targets but here is an example of what all 3 will do at 100 yds repeatably with ammo tuned for each rifle.
    Have shot several other's Savages and all are capable of exellent precision shooting!

Believe it or not there are 5 shots in ea group on target from 112FV 308 (2 different powder) Win.Savage @100 lasered yds.

20200216_100929.jpg
    To make it even better, i got both the 112FV's onsale at cabelas for 319.00 PLUS 75$ rebate from savage!!!!

4. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

I run a Savage 12 FV in .223 with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40 scope and a bipod. Had it out today and it will put 5 shots of cheap ammo into a group the size of my thumbnail at 100 yards. Good enough for me.

5. Shawn 3212

Shawn 3212

Never mind, guys. I found one that I particularly like.

https://choose.tikka.fi/global/code/TF1T29CL115

https://choose.tikka.fi/global/code/TFST29CL115

These look like the same rifle, but the product codes are different for each one. Anyone know what that's about? I also have a few more questions regarding this rifle.
    What is the barrel profile for these rifles? The website doesn't say.
    How does the 1:11 twist compare with a 1:10 twist in terms of accuracy for .308? What bullet weights can you use in a 1:11 twist? What are the bullet weights you can't use? I have always heard that 1:10 twist is the better choice in .308. Is this true? There are two different mounting systems that I am looking at. one is the Sako optilock made for this brand of rifle.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pygW-Uy5p0o

https://www.tikka.fi/scope-mounts-0

While I like this one it is very expensive, this is the second option I have been looking at.

View: https://youtu.be/Espj2sjSjvQ

https://tikkaperformance.com/optic-accessories/Tikka-T3-T3x-Gen2-Performance-Series-Picatinny-Rail

The issue I have with this one is it looks like it gets in the way of the ejection port, which can cause reliability issues. It may just be in my head, but I want to make sure. Has anyone ever used this rail system? If you have, have you noticed it getting in the way of the ejection port and/or causing ejection problems?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  6. hardluk1

hardluk1

With as little info as you have offered as to what your use is for other than hunting go with a 1-11 twist but over the decades 308 hunters barrels have been in 1-12 to 1-10 and mines a 1-10" so a 1-10 would do well too . Might be more about is you want to wait for one twist over another .

. Now let me ask you this - Do You really think Tika aka Sako would offer a rail mount that causes ejection issues ?? Decide what you want and go from there or found a forum that deals mainly with sakao/tika and ask The T3X is still a fairly new upgraded model .

7. Shawn 3212

Shawn 3212

I don’t know, would Sig be stupid enough to release a gun to the public that discharges when you drop it? Would Remington forget the definition of quality control? Regardless, thanks for the information.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1

I'm sure you can research the info you want before asking but not like you read many treads on T2X models here . Sako/Tika - Berretta Holdings has been above the quality of Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. , I mean remington outdoors for many years but then you know that . So Yes I would expect remmy outdoors problems with quality control form a company that has no management with firearm background .