Bugs in the polymer Kahrs

Discussion in 'Kahr Club' started by Vigilant, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Vigilant

Vigilant

I'm still new to Kahr, but I do like what I see. When I read about the problems some folks are having with polymer Kahrs, it seems as though most of the trouble comes from the smaller versions, like the PM9, vs. the full-size versions such as the P9, CW9, etc. Has anyone else noticed this trend, or is it my imagination? I'm thinking about eventually adding a PM9, but this has me a bit concerned.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. FLSlim

FLSlim

To me there seems to be a lot of Kahr trash talk. I've had a CW9 for +1 yr and had no problems. Don't know about more compact models, but would take it all with a grain of salt.

3. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I believe most of the complaints come from the PM series. More specifically, the 9s and the 45s. Back in '05 or '06, I thought Kahr had addressed the problems and I picked up a PM9 after making sure it was past the "problem" serial number range. It turned out to be a piece of junk and lately I have been seeing people complain of their latest 45. If someone gave me a Kahr, I might be willing to try them out again, but tempted as I am, I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a gun that I have already had problems with.

4. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

I've stuck with the P9 and K40 and haven't really had any issues. I did sell a P40 that my finger would bump the mag release on each shot and the mag would drop out the bottom, essentially giving me a single shot pistol.

Apparently, though, a new mag release all but solved that problem... and someone else's thumb size. :whistling:

5. Denied

Denied NRA Member

P 9 for nearly 10 years, no telling how may rounds, not one hiccup that was not cause by me. PM 9 for 3 years, same story. The Palmer frames in my opinion are not range guns that you shoot thousands of round, same like the air weight S&W etc. I shoot them enough to be comfortable they are reliable then carry them every day. IF I want to shoot up a hundred rounds I have steel frame guns for that.

6. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Yeah. It would have been great if I hadn't of had problems with mine from magazine loading number 1. And the more, and different, types of ammo I put through it, the worse it got. I loved the size of the thing. But that is moot when the thing doesn't work.

7. Vigilant

Vigilant

I have run a total of 100 rounds of WWB and 14 rounds of 124 +P Gold Dot through my P9, with zero issues. I will run at least 200 more rounds through it before I breathe easy though. Zero rounds through a CW9 spare/range gun. I am tempted to just stick with this size Kahr, and get creative with holsters.

Ckeck out budspolicesupply.com for some great prices on Kahr and other brands. Active/retired military, security, EMS and others also apply, as do COs.

8. kurt1305

kurt1305

My P9 worked flawlessly, but foolishly, I sold it. My PM40 was crap from day one. Two trips back to the factory and it had more problems than it started with. I sold it at a massive loss with full disclosure. The new owner finally got a replacement, but I understand it too is currently back at the factory. Never more.

9. chance3290

chance3290 Fear Dli

I believe its the luck of the draw. I owned a K9 and K40 that worked fine. Then I went with a P40 that needed about a years worth of twicking before it became carry-worth. I just added a PM9 and it hasn't missed a beat.

10. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

The MK9 is a steel frame gun. Mine has been flawless.

11. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

IMHO

• 49% of Kahr issues can be solved by simply shooting the piss out of it to let the parts properly mate.
    • 49% of Kahr issues can be solved by simply putting the slide stop lever back in correctly (under the spring).
    • 2% are just ****ed up and need to be returned.

12. 8th SPS USAF

8th SPS USAF

Vigilent,

The MK9 is not poly it is SS. I had problems with one of the first
    P40's. They used a P9 lower anf cut it to fit the 40 and the mag would
    fall out. Sent it back and was fine till FC ammo blew it up in my hand.
    I have had several poly frames 9/45 no frame issues at all.

8th

13. Vigilant

Vigilant

Thanks for the heads up. I just fixed it. I am aware of the nomenclature; that was a typo. Sorry.

14. OldLincoln

OldLincoln

Kahr makes a generally reliable gun. According to their numbers, less than .2% (POINT 2%) come back for any reason. Of those returned, the majority are true operator errors (like not using the mag release to chamber the first round) or very minor adjustments.

When ever on a forum about a product you will read a lot of posts about issues with the product. That could be a waffle iron forum or a gun forum. Fact is most product owners see no need for visiting the product forum when things are going well. That does not mean all Kahr's are wonderful. Some problem guns are mailed out which is a failure, but not as many as it seems.

Before the Glock Evangels pronounce their guns are perfect, let me say that even the much respected Glocks have an occasional failure now and then.

15. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

1. Manufacturer's will always post numbers that appear to be in their favor. I assure you, those numbers are skewed to appear so low. Fact of the matter is, Kahrap was so backed up with warranty return guns, at the time I was having problems with mine, that they were just sending parts out to try and appease the masses. On top of that, right about the time I bought my Kahrap, the company went from a full lifetime warranty, to a five year warranty (if I recall correctly), and I believe they went to an even lower warranty period after that. Where I am from, that displays a complete lack of confidence in the longevity of your very own product.

2. Any gun that requires that you use the slide stop lever, in order to chamber a round, is fundamentally design flawed.

3. I will agree with most of the rest of your post. There are a hell of a lot more crybabies than there are people praising. But in either case, the warranty stance by Kahrap speaks a thousand volumes.

16. mitchg233

mitchg233

If you get a good one, keep it, and hope it stays that way. I have had three, and had a half dozen round trips to the factory with them (all paid by Kahr, sometimes begrudgingly), and sold them all, because even after they were "fixed", I wasn't comfortable carrying them. It isn't like they only screw up when new........issues can pop up hundreds of rounds later (even with my all metal K9). They have a unique design that is awesome, but I think they tried to pare the gnat's asss too darn close, and they simply are not reliable enough for me.

I think the worst thing about them is that CS frequently seems to have no clue what the solution to a specific problem is. I have had many, many parts replaced (barrel, slide lock lever and spring, ejector spring ) to no effect, when a mag catch spring eventually solved the problem. There are many guns, slightly larger, that are more reliable, and, to boot, have a larger capacity.

17. mitchg233

mitchg233

That problem, btw, was nosediving in a CW9. The new mag catch and spring held the mag a tiny bit higher, apparently, and gun would feed.

18. grecco

grecco

I own glocks,hk,sig,beretta,kimber,cz,and a bunch of others.
    I carry a Kahr P9 every day.
    0 issues.

19. Caver 60

Caver 60

My approximately three year old PM40 had several issues which I fixed myself. My main problem was with the six and seven round magazines. Never got the seven round magazine reliable. Kahr gave me a story about the seven round magazine not being designed for that pistol and sent me a free five round magazine to replace it.

Got the six round magazines (I own 5) reliable after I replaced the magazine springs with five round springs.

The five round magazines (I own five) have always been 100% right out of the box.

Then there was the magazine follower breaking issue. After Kahr sent me a handful of new ones (along with a lame story about defective plastic in the old ones) I got tired of replacing magazine followers. So I fixed the problem by doing the Kahr version of the old P3AT rampectomony.

What was happening was the lower end of the feed ramp was banging the 'stuffing' out of the follower on the last round every time. After the rampectomy presto, no more broken followers since then. I hope by now Kahr has fixed that problem with the PM40. My PM40 is now 100%.

My PM9 has been absolutely flawless, except for one minor problem. The slide stop spring didn't put hardly any downward tension on the slide stop. (And yes the pin was installed correctly and I didn't install it incorrectly at any time.) I noted the problem almost immediately. I would frequently get a premature slide lock back. Once I corrected the slide stop spring problem, it's continued to be 100%. That's the only problem I've ever had with it.

But IMO the Kahrs are worth the trouble. Once you get one running right, they are sweet. I own three Kahrs, but the other one is steel.

20. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA Life member

I have (soon to be past tense) a CW40. Two trips back to the factory, 500 "break in" rounds and it's still unreliable. It's a shame, I like all other aspects of the gun. I envy those who own reliable Kahrs.