BugOutBag or GetHomeBag?

Discussion in 'GATE Survival & Preparedness' started by Notthatjeter, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Notthatjeter

Notthatjeter

Wifey and I are trying to make realistic prepping decisions. My question is since we do not have a bunker off the grid to go to for SHTF doesn't it make more sense to have a GetHomeBag in our cars instead of a BugOutBag? What is your wisdom....?!

edellson and marie glen like this.
  2. G29guy06

G29guy06

Sorry for the late reply. Its hard to comment on something w/ out some background info. What struck me in your post though was that simply you plan "to get home"...ok, what then?

Assume you lived in New Orleans in a suburban development, and Katrina comes. So you have your bag to get home...but home is not sustainable. Then what?

You don't necessarily need a bunker or a remote home....but do you know someone who does have a more remote or better location? Friend or family? can you get there, and then how would you get there?

As far as "bags" go, and really I hate the abbreviated lingo, but online they are broken down to: Every Day Carry bags, Get Home bags, Bail Out bags... In the outdoor recreation world theres whats known as "the 10 essentials" anytime you go outdoors even for a day hike. The minimum to be prepared. So what you would need for an overnight hike vs weekend, vs week long trip varies; but those 10 essentials remain.

Every one's scenario and position is different, with some additional info I may be able to offer you some advice or gear options.