Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I think most agree leaving the area you know best, your home, and all the stuff you can't take, probably isn't the best plan.

It can be though. If you lived in N.Y.C. a month or two ago would have been a good time to bug out.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,568 Posts
Its not an option...its part of a plan.

Exactly.

If your home is compromised and no longer livable you best have a plan. That tornado doesn't care if you didn't have something in mind...

·
10mm Philosopher
6,110 Posts
Exactly.
If your home is compromised and no longer livable you best have a plan. That tornado doesn't care if you didn't have something in mind.
Nor do zombies.

Have a plan. Then have a back-up plan ... and you hurt nothing by having another plan ready should the back-up plan fail or fall short.

Staying 3-steps ahead will keep you from being put 6-feet under. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Penn'sWoods

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
"That tornado doesn't care if you didn't have something in mind."

Absolutely!
So, I frame these questions within the context of specific situations:
1. situation. You commute to work in your own car.
Do you have the preps in your car so that you can go to ground, in place, for a few days.
2. situation. You have a work space away from home with a cabinet or a closet that you can control.
Do you have any preps at work?
3. situation. You live in a hurricane alleyway. You have your mother-in-law's painting of your late wife (oh yes, I have it and waiting for her to die before I throw it out), old tax return files, old photograph albums that you converted to usb keys but still want to keep. OK. Open up a storage space on the way out of town. Put in a few survival goodies with the crap that you just can't throw away yet.
Wouldn't it be nice to have some water, a cot, some crackers and hunker down while the morons are in a traffic jam 30 miles long and all the hotel rooms for 100 miles are taken?
4. bugging out. Fine. Ask a vet from Vietnam - there are still a few around. Ask a person who was on the road for months with a spouse. How realistic is it that YOU are going to bug out and live off the land??? You don't carry much at all and you are constantly concerned that someone is going to rip you off or ambush you. This also means that you go into denial that any of your travel companions might actually get sick for a week while you are trying to bug out.
You have only a small taste during this lockdown. I want you to imagine that you are living in the Ukraine in the 1930s. You are a farmer. You have handicraft skills. You know how to kill and dress animals. There are few paved roads, no drones, no airplanes, no railroads, few trucks, no private autos, lots of horses. The government still has the ability to lock you up and millions die of famine although there is plenty of food otherwise available.
Or you are a farmer in a small no name Ukrainian village, population 3500 in 1942. The bad guys come that day with the Germans. The bad guys are largely local grifters. 1500 are shot that day, including all your then relatives (any of mine were executed). Later, the Soviet army comes back and shoots more. And you think that by bugging out with your family to a farming area is going save you??

There are levels of prep and a myriad of situations. Start with the most immediate situations you might face and with which you can deal today.

·
Millenium #3936
6,439 Posts
There is nothing kool about a lifeboat.. its simply part of the process. Your bugout plan is your lifeboat. I never heard anyone say anything about it being kool. I am not sure where that comes from?

·
Registered
31,784 Posts
This pandemic has been a fascinating lesson in prepping and SHTF scenarios. Country isolation is looking pretty damn good at this point, assuming you can self-sustain. Though if you can self-sustain even suburbs are ok.

I still will never live in someplace like NY if you paid me.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
The reality of modern SHTF bug out is far different than Survivalist fantasy.

I use the term survivalist very deliberately. The "Dream" is a Red Dawn toss your stuff in the car/van/truck, head to the woods and live off the land / out of you Bug Out Bag as fast as possible.

The reality - and I am a great example because Florida/Hurricanes; Plot safe location, reserve hotel at spot multiple days ahead. Have critical info digitally and cloud backed-up, and be ready to go to location A or B, depending on the changes in the wind, for 3-5 days until come back, or find a next location further away.

The Strategy is mostly about HOW to bug in best, and knowing when to bug out. And the Bug Out strategy has locations already predetermined.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
It is definitely a fun mental challenge to be able to prepare for the classic "bug out" though. As mentioned. -it could happen / be necessary. But there are way more important / likely things to be ready for ahead of that.

·
Huge Member
11,402 Posts
my cabin is 3 hours away from where I normally live in the epicenter of the virus pandemic in my state. The virus is not even a thing in the county where my cabin is. I travel between the two without stopping. I've been spending 4-5 days a week at that cabin and hate to go home. It's a good place to be.

The key thing in "bugging out" is to have somewhere to go.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Some things to think about in the following video. But if you cant defend where you live because you don't have people to help you like he does then bugging out would be better than staying.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVdMHDaiaFs

You don't need much and can travel faster if you don't carry much. If other people are bugging out and you travel light you can avoid them easier.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJQQPKHtJw

If you scroll down in the story this legendary bad ass didn't carry much of a kit
(razor, comb, mirror, needle, thread, oily rag, fishhooks, wax, matches, nails, axe, pocket compass, 119 shells) and survived in the arctic over a month and a half on foot with a slew of people chasing him on dogsleds. Then he climbs a mountain no one thought he could. He would have escaped but they brought in an airplane.
https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1955/10/1/who-was-the-mad-trapper-of-rat-river

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have actually seen this lately.

I live literally on the edge of the wilderness.

People have the notion that they own campers, they like camping, and that they can "bug out" like a great big camping trip.

Allow me to state the observation that camping for a weekend or even two weeks is a heck of a lot different than trying to live in a camper for a month or more at a time.

You can not avoid civilization. Things like food, water, heat, MONEY!
require interaction. with the local population.

Ahhhh, I forgot, you don't need food. You'll go out and shoot an Elk...

Heck, it's a 5-600 pound animal, well eat like kings... We'll eat all our bellies can hold!

5 days later, the meat is filled with maggots and beginning to decompose.

Water... You're ready for that... your camper has a 200 gallon water tank!, Fantastic....

Now 3-4 weeks later, the water is gone... So, go to the stream and get water from there.
The problem is that open water contains a huge amount of nasty bacteria.

OKAY, we will boil the water to make it safe.

Until your child takes his first drink from the wrong bucket.

NOW... There is a good chance you need to find a doctor, and probably a pharmacy.

Ohhhh, remember that rotting Elk carcass... Well it is bringing in every predator and scavenger for miles.

Your camp site will soon have every Mountain Lion, Bear, and Coyote in the county, all looking for an easy meal.

Another thing, you are not doing this alone.... 2,000 of your closest city friends all got the same idea, at the same time.

One final observation.... Remember those times when you were camping, those nice friendly small town folk.... NOW... they don't want you there, they want you gone... and most would not lift a finger to help you.

In short.... Bugging out without a plan is.... foolhardy.

·
Millenium #3936
6,439 Posts
In short.... Bugging out without a plan is.... foolhardy
I have not seen anyone is this sub-forum suggest that a plan is not needed.

The bottom line is that very few people are envisioning bugging out as some sort of end of the world event. Bug out can be days or weeks. It is not limited to only months and years.

The whole concept centers around moving out of a danger zone ( temporarily) and then relocating to a safe zone as soon as possible. Most mobile bugout plans range from 72-120 hours.. not the entire winter.

Bugging in or sheltering in place is totally different project. I have neighbors who come down out of the hills only once or twice a year. Its very possible to bug-in long term depending on your specific location.

The concept is realistic given adequate planning, basic resources and knowledge.

If I had to hit the road ( right now).. I am prepared for about 96 hours in the open. If I sanitize water on the go, I can extent that a few more days. On the other hand, If I had to shelter in place, I am good for about 90 days. I consider that a reasonable preparation for what would likely be a temporary disruption of services. If it turns out to be the apocalypses, I guess I am in a little trouble.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
The wife and I bugged out of our house on September 4, 2011.
When we returned almost a week later, we found ash where our house used to be, but the family and our animals all survived. The rest was just stuff, so bugging out was essential.
Sometimes it is just how the cards are dealt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastrop_County_Complex_Fire

We were the farthest west property to get hit. Across the road and to our south, you would have never know there had been a fire, except for the smell.
As Maxwell Smart would have said. "We missed it by that much".

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Besides having a bug out location, you need to be ABLE to bug out...

Reality - unless disaster X ends your existence, things get normal again. Are you REALLY gonna drop your job, walk out, move into the bug out location for a week, especially when others (meaning your boss, his boss, etc) are not?

When to go is probably more important than where. And the best when is BEFORE everyone else figures out they need to go! Bugging out can be a bold social statement...and have serious consequences.

If you can't bug out any given Thursday for no reason, bugging out any other time might not work out so well for you long term.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,110 Posts
Ohhhh, remember that rotting Elk carcass... Well it is bringing in every predator and scavenger for miles.Your camp site will soon have every Mountain Lion, Bear, and Coyote in the county, all looking for an easy meal.
So, in short, that rotting carcass will bring in more food.

Barbecued 'yote ... Yummo! :eat: :thumbsup:

:whistling:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
So far, there's been no violence. No reason to bug out over lack of toilet paper.

Now, when they start killing each other over toilet paper, all bets are off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts