Bug out vehicles

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by bdcochran, Feb 19, 2017.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

The Orville Dam evacuation (a disaster) stoked my research. You could see mile after mile of vehicles stuck in traffic (probably including pick up trucks/motorcycles/offroad vehicles that members of this forum favor). You also observed that a lot of people drive around on empty and the gas stations were overwhelmed.

Perhaps if you had a bicycle (and been riding consistently for years a dozen miles a day), it might work for you (and assuming that the water is coming at less than 50 mph.)

40 years ago when I knew Ron Hood, he showed us how he would take a motorcycle on railroad tracks to his hide outside Los Angeles. He had to have assumed that no one else was using the tracks and that people swarming around would not interfere with a straight run on the tracks.

I already knew about ultralights and had flown in a 2 seater. I think that you can get them for under $10k with a built in parachute. All you need is a straight street or an elementary school playground for take off or landing. So that would handle either a fat member of the forum or a skinny one with a friend or a couple hundred pounds of gear.

Today, I investigated a paramotor. You can google the concept. If you don't want to bother, here is what the specs are. Spend under $9k and get a one man unit that will fly an overweight guy for 2-3 hours. Today, I watched a youtube video wherein the kid went to 15,000 feet altitude (and probably without telling the FAA). The takeoff and landing space needed is about 100 feet (with you running). I f the motor conks out, you already have a deployed parachute above you.

2. tc556guy

tc556guy

There are a number of mechanical options available that would allow you to utilize rail tracks ( assuming they weren't affected by whatever disaster struck you; rails buckling during an earthquake, for instance) without being a fitness buff. Some of these are used in third world countries. Some are utilized by rail maintenance crews in first world countries.

3. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

For $10K you probably could hire a decent sized helicopter to land in your back yard and pick up your entire family and then come back to grab a stash of belongs packed in a cargo net. A few hours flight time in a decent helicopter and you could be at a beach house on the Oregon Coast. Obviously not a last minute type option.

The real question here is as someone else posted, why did they chose to live below this dam? I know we are all subject to our own local disaster demons, but this one just seems like a no brainer to me. Talk about a real-estate market crash...

4. RSD

RSD

I'm about 10 minutes from my airport. A nice Maule on Floats would work great up here. Good range, and plenty of small lakes up this way.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

People also ask
    What is the cost of a helicopter?
    The cost of a helicopter varies widely depending upon which type you want to buy, but prices for used helicopters rarely start below $60,000 for personal crafts. New helicopters are far more expensive, with most lower-end models costing well over a million dollars.

In answer to why people live below the dam, several reasons:
    1. A family may have lived there for 4 generations as one woman said;
    2. Many young policemen retire. Having lived in apartments, they want a house and a partime job. Many LAPD would retire and move to places like San Luis Obispo and take a job as a night watchman. Now, the prices in that area are high. 8 blocks from me, on a busy road in West Los Angeles, the 2 bedroom 25 year old apartments are renting for about $2500 a month. Despite a state law restricting increases in property taxes on residences to about 3% a year, there is no cap on the charges with city supplied water and power. $300 a month is not usual.
    3. A potentially low paying federal or state employment would tend to encourage people to live below the dam as contrasted to living in Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento or San Francisco.

RSD likes this.
  6. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

Maybe the answer isn't to bug out at all, but think more like Noah. Have a boat dry-docked in the backyard. Contact Redbull for TV rights first and make sure the GoPro's batteries are charged. Will be the most epic of epic whitewater rides.

7. RSD

RSD

Not to mention training. Most rentals for a small Robinson starting at about $250 and going up from there. After all is said and done, you're looking at about 12-15K for a basic rating. I love rotor craft, and thought about training in one, but my fixed-wing's are expensive enough.

RSD

1L26 likes this.
  8. bdcochran

bdcochran

Bug out. I live near a marina - about 2 miles away. If local people knew the history of this area, they would discuss a tsunami which went through the current marina area about 150 years ago. No one lived here then who could read or write and if such a person did exist, he died in the tsunami.

The County of Los Angeles has not put up sirens although it was approved about 10 years ago. By looking at the map, I find:
    1. it is hilly enough where I live that the next tsunami will miss me.
    2. it will wipe out the flat plain where the city of Los Angeles approved the construction of 3 story condos/apartments/shops/movie industry offices. No new highways were provided for escape. The streets do not permit street level parking for the 50,000 or so people who live and work there. The parking is underground. The streets are only wide enough to allow the passage of fire trucks.

I laugh when I think about archeologists a thousand years from now wondering what religion had people bury thousands of cars.

And, if people think that they will go to the marina and seize a boat and ship to Catalina, they will only find junk floating in what is left of the marina.

With Orville Dam, the problem is that water was hitting the concrete spillway at 50 mph.

I was in southern Thailand around 1980. Where I lived, the ground was sea mud in the morning near the huts. The "modern" hotels were also case histories in violations of any rational building and safety code. One day when I visited a very isolated village on an island with the huts built within a few feet of the ocean, I shuddered and thanked God that I wouldn't be there when a tsunami hit. It came 30 years later.

Certification to fly an ultralight is fairly inexpensive. We have a private airfield in Los Angeles County that specifically handles only ultra lights.

9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I am not going to buy a dedicated bug out vehicle.. I will use what I have. My current plan would be to use my 4x4 truck with my Honda ruckus in the back.

10. Taft93730

Taft93730

Given the traffic jams, I would go with a hybrid dirt bike. Can go around and through traffic and off road if you need to.

OttoLoader and cbetts1 like this.
  11. powernoodle

powernoodle

That's my take.

Aside from someone being stupid enough to live below a 77 story dam holding back the largest man-made lake in California, what are the true odds of an occurrence causing you to flee your home in a max exodus with thousands of others? Pretty darn low. Wildfire? Yeah, if you live on the side of hill in Gatlinburg, TN. Maybe there are a few other possibilities, but consider if its so unlikely that your limited time and resources might be better invested elsewhere.

I'm not subject to a flood where I live (street names like Apex, Crest and Zenith are a clue), and I don't live in a tinderbox like Gatlinburg. Is it possible that I might want to bug out in a max exodus? Eh, anything is possible. Kate Upton might want to give me a foot rub, too, but I'm not cutting my toenails just yet.

Just an alternate view of the world. No biggy.

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Ask the people living near Chernobyl or Fukushima about not bugging out.

13. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

In real terms, a "dedicated" bug out vehicle is any reliable 4-wheel-drive truck or SUV with enough room to carry you and yours (family & survival gear) to a safer location than the one you're in when your SHTF event of choice begins.

Of course, as someone pointed out, having a bug-out vehicle presumes you plan to bug out in the first place and have a safe place to get to as well, rather than not bugging-in and riding out the event.

fastbolt likes this.
  14. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

15. crockett

crockett

How about a 4WD GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali Duramax Diesel with a KTM 500 EXC dual sport and ramps in the back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

How about demanding that California politicians spend the taxes on the dam and not the damn illegals?? Oh wait.....

mrasgt, rock_castle, 9jeeps and 4 others like this.
  17. Patriot2

Patriot2 Patriot

If an EMP Is detonated over the US by North Korea, the roads will be blocked by vehicles that have been knocked out by the pulse. -One Second After is an interesting read. Living below a any dams path is illogical. If the dam fails in the middle of the night, don't worry about going anywhere.

FireMedic-50 and ss30378 like this.
  18. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

You could probably say the same thing about living in California, it's illogical.

19. Pluto57

Pluto57

Between the natural disasters and the politics, that's for sure.