Glock Talk banner

Bug out idea/question

2792 46
I am not a prepper but since moving back to Long Island to take care of elderly family it has made me wonder about bugging out in a “bad” situation.

1. Assume health and finances are taking care of.
2. Living somewhere near large body of water (Long Island or South Florida)
3. Excluding a WW III scenario cause obviously there would be a whole other set of concerns.

Rather than bugout to a rural area or bug in somewhere in the suburbs what do you think about bugging out in a sailboat? From South Florida you could get to the Bahamas or most anywhere in the Caribbean to stock up on supplies or even Latin America. I know there are pirates etc but seems like this would give you some great advantages. You can carry fresh water and purify some as well. You could fish for food or simply go resupply somewhere in the Caribbean and buy yourself time and distance from the problem.

Just curious what you all think about the viability of such a plan.
Reactions: porschedog
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Huge Member
12,369 Posts
Whether it's in a boat or an RV you should have a place already picked out to bug out to. That presumes you are prepared, know what your are doing and have already been to the place(s) you intend to bug out to so no surprises.

I've RV'd all over the country. I have places picked out north, south, east and west that I've been to and am familiar with. The same would hold true on a boat. Showing up cold to a strange place is a gamble.

· Huge Member
12,369 Posts
I sail and have taught it for Red Cross and USCG.
Unless you have a boat over 65 feet with an auxiliary motor and loads of sea experience, that is not a way to go, sorry.
You should also have a small crew.
Lone sailors are easy pickings from nature and predators.
Ask the Coast Guard.
:)
Not necessarily. I have friends (married couple in their late 60s) who sold all their stuff, moved onto a 37 foot sailboat and are sailing it around the world. They left Florida 6 or 7 months ago and are now in Fiji. They have solar, wind generator and desalinator. Of course they also have a diesel engine. They seem to be doing pretty well. But then again they are experienced sailors.

· Huge Member
12,369 Posts
Yep. I’m one of the “Stay put and defend if at all possible” crowd.

In SHTF situation road travel to bug out is a delusion besides, how would you even know where to go and once you get there then what?

I’m not a prep person but with what is in the house the family could survive very comfortably for 60 days or more and there’s deer galore if more food is needed.

Pretty much all the neighbors are on the same page. Stay put, defend and help each other. On one side my neighbor is a firefighter/EMT and on the other side the neighbor is an RN and both hunt/shoot.

I think this would happen a lot if SHTF - a lot of small groups would stay put and band together.
Except if you have to leave you better have a place to go already picked out. Sometimes you don't have a choice but to leave (natural disaster etc).

Reactions: starfish86
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.