Bug out idea/question

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by starfish86, Aug 20, 2018.

1. starfish86

starfish86

I am not a prepper but since moving back to Long Island to take care of elderly family it has made me wonder about bugging out in a “bad” situation.

1. Assume health and finances are taking care of.
    2. Living somewhere near large body of water (Long Island or South Florida)
    3. Excluding a WW III scenario cause obviously there would be a whole other set of concerns.

Rather than bugout to a rural area or bug in somewhere in the suburbs what do you think about bugging out in a sailboat? From South Florida you could get to the Bahamas or most anywhere in the Caribbean to stock up on supplies or even Latin America. I know there are pirates etc but seems like this would give you some great advantages. You can carry fresh water and purify some as well. You could fish for food or simply go resupply somewhere in the Caribbean and buy yourself time and distance from the problem.

Just curious what you all think about the viability of such a plan.

porschedog likes this.
  2. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Too many variables to speculate....sounds good at first blush, but better have some serious armament, as a small sailboat would draw instant attention from predators

DJ Niner, Atomic Punk and starfish86 like this.

3. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

let's see...
    a) we have the most powerful military in the world, so we're not getting beat from the outside

b) well more than 50% of Americans are decent, good people who believe in the principles our nation was founded on

c) Far less than 50% are lawless leftists who wish to destroy our country

I for one, prefer to stand and fight. I think the odds are with us.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Depends on the problem. Assuming for whatever reason, you cant stay in place, and the problem isn't weather related. A boat could be a viable plan.

Do you have a boat?
    Do you know how to operate a boat?
    Do you really know how to operate a boat?
    Do you have several potential routes ftom your location to where you might store a boat?
    Can you be locked out of that site?

If you at least have a boat large enough to be lived on for a bit, it could be a good backup.

If you dont have a boat, make plans for escape with a vehicle. Dont buy equipment that will only be used someday. Get things you'll actually use, and can always be useful.

If you're getting a boat anyway, may as well stock extra supplies.

5. starfish86

starfish86

I was thinking the last thing I want to do is exit Long Island in Car via NYC. Who knows whether the Ferries to Connecticut will be running and if they were I am sure it would be like trying to head north on I-95 in a Hurricane approaches South Florida. I still have my condo in Miami but selling it and moving onto a boat sounds good to me once I have done my part here in NY. I’ve never lived on a boat full time but my father had a sailboat 30 ft when I was a kid and so I have some experience.

agtman and Atomic Punk like this.
  6. G29guy06

G29guy06

He lives in enemy territory- that’s the problem...

And on top of that (drawing on knowledge of the populace of DC suburbs) many may not be the enemy but they also don’t have weapons which becomes a problem.

starfish86 likes this.
  7. starfish86

starfish86

Currently don’t have a boat. I grew up sailing on my Father’s 30ft. sailboat. So realistically I would need training and certification to do the sailing required to bug out into deep water or sail through the Caribbean. To be able to afford a boat large enough to realistically use as described I would have to sell my condo and live full time on the boat so if I were home I would be on the boat already.

8. starfish86

starfish86

Here on Long Island (LI) there are plenty of anti-gun people. Some of my family included. It wasn’t much of an issue when I moved up here since I have to establish residency of a year before I can have a gun here. Even then there is no chance of a carry permit whatsoever.

9. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Training is a good plan.

If you want to live on a boat, go for it. I've heard it can be fun, though cramped.

Dont make the purchase of a boat solely for bugout purposes. It should be able to work for what you want, but there may be a detail thats missing somewhere. Go for some classes. Talk to people ( in person ) try it out.
    At the very least, you'll have new skills.

happie2shoot and starfish86 like this.
  10. starfish86

starfish86

Once my obligations up here are done I have a few friends with boats. One is an open fisherman with no cabin so that wouldn’t work. I do however know someone in the palm beaches with a fifty foot sailboat he races. After making this post I researched a forty foot sailboat which would be the minimum in my mind and used ones can be had for anywhere from 140,000 to 600,000 depending on type and setup. I haven’t been on much given how busy I have been here but this gives me something to research in the evening once things settle down.

Their are obviously many things to consider such as will I have access to my money in/outside the u.s.? If I open a foreign bank account and report it to the IRS would they seize foreign accounts belonging to Americans during a large scale national emergency? Leaving me without any money. What about getting health care outside u.s.? Cash and carry I imagine.

Like has been mentioned there are many variables.

motorcycleman and Atomic Punk like this.
  11. sourdough44

sourdough44

In most instances I’d rather ‘bug out’ right here at home, maybe a relative’s place at the most. Being on the move has it’s hazards, unless one really has to flee to a better area.

Atomic Punk and starfish86 like this.
  12. JLB19

JLB19

The flaw that I see (at least for the South Florida location), is that the most likely reason you would be "bugging out" would be a hurricane.

Atomic Punk and starfish86 like this.
  13. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I certainly accept that a person may not have the option to simply remain at home. To that end, I have short term mobile preps if I have to abandon my home. Where to go or how far to go will greatly depend on what is happening and what has happened. If I can stay home, great! It would be the best situation for most of us. If I have to flee, its going to be with 3 or 4 days of preps and that's it. I can likely replenish water safely for a while but fuel and food is going to be a problem after a week or so.

My bug out plan is to travel for a few days to a safe/stable place. If the crisis is so bad that I have abandoned my home, its kinda hard to plan much further than that. 3 days of preps are in my car at all times. If I had the luxury of advanced warning, I could triple it but that's about it. My plan is to stay home but if I cant, the plan is to travel as short a distance as possible to a safer place.

I speculate that just about any large scale crisis in this country is probably going to allow me to remain at home for as long as I can physically keep it. That's probably what I will opt to do.

What I tell people about bugging out is that if you cant carry it on your person, you will probably stand a very good chance of having to abandon it during the first real conflict you engage in. 10k rounds of ammo, 20 guns and 5 pallets of food/water is not going to do you that much good if you cant carry it, protect it or secure it for long periods of time. A person should probably have a well designed system to carry the critical items you need and you should probably come to terms with the fact that what you have on your back is very likely going to be the extent of what you BUGOUT with. Vehicles get damaged, get stuck, break down, get stolen, draw attention, get flat tires, run out of fuel. They are a luxury that can expire quickly and easily during a crisis. If SHTF has occurred, you stand a good chance of facing it on foot after a very short attempt to manage it in a vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    starfish86 likes this.
  14. starfish86

starfish86

I definitely wouldn’t try that in a boat myself. I was thinking more economic issues (inflation/deflation) or some sort of very large civil disturbance larger than the immediate metropolitan area (south Florida). Maybe a terror attack dirty bomb and wanting to move far away 100 plus miles into the Bahamas/Caribbean

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

It is certainly doable if:
    1. you have the money;
    2. you have the skills;
    3. you have good health;
    4. you manage to get away not when it is stormy;
    5. you have a companion to watch your back;
    6. you are certain that you can get to your craft before someone steals it.
    7. I was curious so I looked up the cost of maintaining a 30 foot sailboat (and I don't know too many people who can operate it and maintain one alone). It worked out to 15% of the cost of the craft per year.

One day I was in a class taught by a Force Recon Marine. I was not a Marine. An older, overweight, middle aged guy with an SUV asked the relatively indigent Sgt. what he would do if shtf. He responded that he would find an overweight guy with an SUV, take it away from him and bug out with his girlfriend!

I had a friend, now deceased, who sailed frequently out of Los Angeles and had a lot of friends with sailboats. How could he do it as most times, he worked as a gardener. The answer was that sailing ships were always short crew members and he would sail for free and be fed. So, maybe you do it this way.

Here are two other ways of skinning the cat.

16. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

Why are you waiting for SHTF? You live in NYC - the S already hit the F. Ditch the condo ASAP so ******* Cuomo stops getting your tax dollars and sail to freedom. Get on the boat and head south. Your overpriced NY city condo proceeds will buy you beach front access on a remote sunny Caribbean island. You might even be able to have a gun on your beachfront property! Go now.

happie2shoot and Atomic Punk like this.
  17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Do you currently sail or do you think you will just hop on a random sailboat and learn as you go?

starfish86 likes this.
  18. professor kv

professor kv Hey! Who turned out the lights?

Be very cautious with used boats of any kind. Invest in having a marine surveyor check out any boat you are seriously considering. Believe me, it's worth every penny.

The purchase price of the boat is just the beginning.

starfish86 and Atomic Punk like this.
  19. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

The Caribbean equivalent of Somali pirates. :faint:

Better have something on the boat ready to rock that's belt-fed. :50cal:

starfish86 and Atomic Punk like this.
  20. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Screw health care outside U.S. borders. You're taking major risks with non-U.S. drinking water, unsterilized needles, and sleeping on not-too-clean bed sheets. (Foreign bed bugs are like mini-Crocodiles).

And it absolutely will be 'cash-n-carry' in a real-world SHTF. Always is ...

So you need to adopt my Grandfather's 'Depression philosophy' toward money: 'screw the banks!'

If there's a panic run of customers trying to withdraw 'emergency' cash when the event hits, it's already too late. You'll never get your money out. The Feds will order the banks shut down and secured even if the resident manager didn't ordered it at the outset ...

Best to have a goodly amount of cash (maybe several thousand $$$ worth) in small bills stashed/hid where you can quickly and conveniently access it when the ballon pops - especially in a major financial center like NYC.

Remember, in a real-world SHTF event, the guy with a fist full of hundreds and a Glock 19 on his hip gets whatever he needs first.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018