Glock Talk banner

Bug Out/Go Bags

2720 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  fasteddie565
Hey Guys,

I'm curious to know what you all do in terms of a bug out or go bag.

A situation can arise at any time, and the idea that I would be home if and when one may occur, is not guarenteed.

I have one all ready to go in my apartment (began prepping it for hurricane Irma) and a very small one in my car.
My fiancé and I both have our own bags, and I am going to make one for my mom and her dogs because I know she's definitely not prepared for anything.

I'm thinking about keeping another backpack in my car with everything I may need in case I'm out and about and an emergency arises.

Would love to hear what you guys do and what you put in yours.

Thanks!
Reactions: happie2shoot
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· probably on theboresite.com right now.
3,995 Posts
a lot will depend on where you live.(if you live in a desert there`s no need for a raincoat)
and where you think you`r bugging out to.
i don`t have any plans anymore of bugging out,i`m going to be getting home and in the worst case bug out scenario to our in-laws in the Dakotas but that is by vehicle.
so my bag is smaller and i only have to go a few miles..
here`s some sage Wisdom from the not so distant past......
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/bug-out-bag-items.1651989/#post-23936211

· Huge Member
12,372 Posts
My BOB is a large rolling duffel kept at home. It contains clothing and longer term survival gear. It is intended to throw into a car. It is in addition to a Go Bag which is more short term and contains more personal needed stuff. Think large suitcase and carry-on. That is in addition to tools, get home bags and other supplies kept in my vehicles.

Reactions: P-Mo

· Millenium #3936
6,681 Posts
most survival consideration do not change all that much within the same geo-location. I live in a Southern woodland region of the country with lots of water. My bugout bag is geared toward mitigating crisis circumstances (on the go) for at least 72 hours within my specific region. If I am fortunate enough to stay at home, my supplies would easily last me 3 months. I am not a end of the world kind of person but rather a short lived crisis of weeks to a few months.

When talking about a crisis, its a little silly to assume that you can simply stay home and its equally silly to assume that you have to go run out into the woods at the first sings of trouble. The universally accepted minimum duration for most emergency kits is 72 hours. I do not believe in the "gethomebag" or any of that jaz. You are either reasonably prepared to face crisis or you are not. Being prepared to simply "Go home" is a very low level of preparedness in my book. To me its either 72 hours or nothing, because no matter what I would prefer to do in a crisis, I may actually have to do something entirely different.

Each vehicle that I own has a rubbermade tub full of utility items and a med size single sling pack which is already loaded with essentials....water, fire, knife, first aid, shelter, food and a firearm.

· Registered
2,476 Posts
I keep a save your butt bag in all 3 trucks, meds, water purifier, first aid, compass, burner cell phone, phone card, socks, jacket, matches, ferno rod, lighter, toilet paper with tube removed and vacuum packed, a .45, a 10/22, firearms are vacuum packed as well as 100rnd of .45, and 200rnd of .22 , sock hat and gloves, 2 spare oxygen lines , 2 spare oxygen tanks -48 hours of oxygen , tools, a hi lift Jack , a spare regulator, a spare 25rnd and 3 10 rnd magazines for the 10/22, 2 spare .45 magazines.

Food , jerky, a case of water, a metal cup, 5 bottles of gas line antifreeze. 5 different knives, a 4 way lug wrench, a floor jack, assorted peices of wood, a collapseable fishing rod and lures, baby wipes, snatch strap and cleavas.

Sounds like a lot but it's not if you know how to pack stuff.

Have a in the bed tool boxes in 2 trucks, and under the back seat of the Tahoe and back end. To be honest not much room is taken up.

We always have blankets for the grandkids in all 3.

Our bugout bags are custom for each one of us, as well as the grandkids, and we have 3 extra for whoever, some hang from the ceiling, and some on the wall on the back porch by the door.

· NRA Life Member
13,814 Posts
Probably more important than WHAT is in your bag is how much THOUGHT you have put into the contents. I stress this all the time...you cannot carry enough water to last more than a few days without a vehicle. So you need to have a system to make AND STORE potable water. Several gallons a day per person ideally. And you have to have a way to store the water--because water isn't always available everywhere. These little pens and straws are fine in a very limited way. But they are not a good solution if there is more than one person and likewise make it all but impossible to actually store the water. So think through the systems you have and your expectations of those systems. You may think you have the water thing solved with a pen...but have you REALLY thought it through and what that looks like for you.
Food, water, shelter, clothing....those are basic needs. If you don't have the basics covered nothing else matters... Because you will probably die with your tacticool AR in your hands and 5,000 rounds of ammo in your pack. LOL

· Registered
8,142 Posts
I keep a BOB in my trunk along with a G-22 "Trunk Gun", my home is my fortress, and this may get me there if I am away. If not then my Glock-27 EDC will be my Detroit Credit Card, to get me somewhere.
I believe the G22 is one of the best do all
guns if taken to its full potential.

Extra 9mm conversion barrel, threaded,
extra 357 sig barrel, six inch 40 s&w
barrel with standard rifling for cast WFN
boolits at over 1250 fps, I also like the
grip cut to a G23 or G27.

The way I carry, the grip sticks out too
far and I have small hands, don't need
the extra length. It also lets me use
many of the glock magazines.

This is my new favorite boolit,

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=103

I also have cast for the 9mm and 357 sig,
many loads cost four to five cents a shot.

· Registered
8,142 Posts
Probably more important than WHAT is in your bag is how much THOUGHT you have put into the contents. I stress this all the time...you cannot carry enough water to last more than a few days without a vehicle. So you need to have a system to make AND STORE potable water. Several gallons a day per person ideally. And you have to have a way to store the water--because water isn't always available everywhere. These little pens and straws are fine in a very limited way. But they are not a good solution if there is more than one person and likewise make it all but impossible to actually store the water. So think through the systems you have and your expectations of those systems. You may think you have the water thing solved with a pen...but have you REALLY thought it through and what that looks like for you.
Food, water, shelter, clothing....those are basic needs. If you don't have the basics covered nothing else matters... Because you will probably die with your tacticool AR in your hands and 5,000 rounds of ammo in your pack. LOL
Amen, I live in a desert six months and in
Florida six months.

In the desert you have to carry a lot of water,
here in Florida I carry a small eye dropper
bottle with bleach, and a few water bottles.

Something like these,

https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Plast...rd_wg=ddV90&psc=1&refRID=3AF63HYR7AVGCTZ9N13N

One drop pr qt if the water is clear and two
drops if cloudy, six drops pr gallon if clear
and twelve drops if cloudy.

Our bottles hold around 300 drops, I put the
little bleach bottle inside the bigger drinking
bottle just in case it leaks, has not leaked so
far.

We usually use one qt gator aid bottles, they
are cheap, but a stainless steel water bottle is
better because you can also boil the water.

Two is one and one is none.

With the big clear plastic pop bottles all you
need is sun to kill the little bastages,

http://www.sodis.ch/methode/anwendung/index_EN

http://www.sodis.ch/methode/anwendung/ausbildungsmaterial/index_EN

http://www.sodis.ch/index_EN

http://www.sodis.ch/methode/forschung/index_EN

· Huge Member
12,372 Posts
I believe the G22 is one of the best do all
guns if taken to its full potential.

Extra 9mm conversion barrel, threaded,
extra 357 sig barrel, six inch 40 s&w
barrel with standard rifling for cast WFN
boolits at over 1250 fps, I also like the
grip cut to a G23 or G27.

The way I carry, the grip sticks out too
far and I have small hands, don't need
the extra length. It also lets me use
many of the glock magazines.

This is my new favorite boolit,

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=103

I also have cast for the 9mm and 357 sig,
many loads cost four to five cents a shot.
I'm with you on the 22 and conversion barrels. I am wondering however if using a G27 from the get go and using longer conversion barrels and mags might be optimal. That way you could switch from smaller carry gun to a service sized pistol just by swapping out barrels and mags. Of course you would probably want a grip extender for the longer mags

· Registered
8,142 Posts
I'm with you on the 22 and conversion barrels. I am wondering however if using a G27 from the get go and using longer conversion barrels and mags might be optimal. That way you could switch from smaller carry gun to a service sized pistol just by swapping out barrels and mags. Of course you would probably want a grip extender for the longer mags
I have done just that with the g27, up to a
5.3'' barrel shooting a 183gr cast boolit at
1245fps, it can be made good and reliable
but it takes more than just a longer barrel.

I am looking for an honest investor to market
my ideas, a small carry
gun that's also good for deer hunting.

I know most Glocks can be made to shoot
four inches at 100 yards and have more power,
safely.

This will work for all standard glocks, not the
very small ones like the G42/43, I have not
done anything with them.

· Huge Member
12,372 Posts
I have done just that with the g27, up to a
5.3'' barrel shooting a 183gr cast boolit at
1245fps, it can be made good and reliable
but it takes more than just a longer barrel.

I am looking for an honest investor to market
my ideas, a small carry
gun that's also good for deer hunting.

I know most Glocks can be made to shoot
four inches at 100 yards and have more power,
safely.

This will work for all standard glocks, not the
very small ones like the G42/43, I have not
done anything with them.
Then add one of those Endo/Shockwave pistol braces and make it into a PDW.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=2947

· Combat Diver
3,770 Posts
My BOB is a large rolling duffel kept at home. It contains clothing and longer term survival gear. It is intended to throw into a car. It is in addition to a Go Bag which is more short term and contains more personal needed stuff. Think large suitcase and carry-on. That is in addition to tools, get home bags and other supplies kept in my vehicles.
I bought one of these for a family BOB, but have yet to fill it. Looking to put common use gear like a tent, stove and similar gear in it. Of course individual shelter, food, water and fire and perhaps some personal protection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.