Buffers and buffer springs?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Jed Cooper, May 9, 2020.

1. Jed Cooper

Jed Cooper

I'm curious on which buffers/buffer springs you guys run on various 5.56 DI gassed carbines.
    Personally I use JP Enterprises standard tuned springs in most of my builds and Colt buffers.
    I normally use H buffers on all my mid-length and H2's on the carbine length.
    What say you?

2. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

If you have a carbine or mid-length gas system the buffer of choice for reliability is the standard 3 ounce carbine buffer. The H through H3 were designed to alleviate harmonic problems resulting in bolt bounce and light primer strikes in fully automatic guns. Everything else compromises reliability....and while your gun may run fine with a H2 buffer in normal temps...if you really want to see if you have an issue you should freeze you gun and ammunition overnight and then take it out and see how the lower chamber pressure from the cold ammo and gun affects its performance. The H2 was specifically developed to solve bolt bounce problems with the Colt SOCOM heavy barrel carbine in full auto mode...the heavy barrel also imparts it own set of problems to the reliability of the gun (the added weight changes the recoil impulse of the gun)...

But buffer weight is a gooofy issue for many people like the BCG issue is...they will swear to you an AR15 BCG is not MILSPEC and therefore you can't reliably run a semi-auto carbine without an M16 BCG....LOL... Yeah...OK... No experience internet gun BS wins again!

syntaxerrorsix likes this.

3. cciman

cciman

Physics logic behind what you use? Why are you asking others?

4. Jed Cooper

Jed Cooper

I use the heaviest buffers that will give me reliable ejection with the weakest 223 ammo and consistently locks back the bolt using 1 shot tests. I strive to have ejection patterns in the 2-4 o'clock range, and JP standard springs have been working great for me.
    I don't shoot in sub-freezing temps, and I asked others just to create conversation.
    YMMV

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Walk Soft and Pn3455 like this.
  5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

All of my AR's regardless of gas system use the standard carbine buffer and spring. Zero issues.

6. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

Standard carbine springs and buffers to start.

I've only switched one out with positive results and that was putting a H2 buffer into a 10.5 inch PSA pistol to tame it down a bit. So far so good, but I try not to meddle with buffer weights otherwise.

7. cciman

cciman

I have not had any issues running factory 855 or 193 or 7.62x39 using generic "standard" springs and buffers in several lowers, running various piston, or DI, uppers in semi-auto mode. I'm not shotting for competition times.

Using a heavier buffer, and a lighter spring seems counter-intuitive for lighter ammo loads to me-- seems it would return you back to baseline. But it depends on the goals, and how you are measuring the changes.

Other variables like gas settings and BCG, not being accounted for in the above. Permutations and combinations.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  8. ricky

ricky Millennium Member

Call Sprinco and the owner will help you make decision.

pag23 and ThomasM4 like this.
  9. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

Sprinco with an a5 buffer system

10. sugerwater

sugerwater

My 14.5" carbine, Super 42 with H1 buffer. Might throw in another weight for a H2.

11. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

Once you get to the point of understanding that the AR15 uses an "operating system" and that most factory ARs are significantly overgassed, it starts to become easier. But one has to know how the various components affect that operation and bullet weight and powder speed are part of the equation.

I use JP flat wire springs, .308 springs, reduced power springs and in a dozen ARs, probably only have the same buffer in 2 of them. Sometimes I use an empty buffer and sometimes a heavy buffer and everywhere in between, even some non-traditional SCS and dual spring set ups.

12. Tyler Smith

Tyler Smith

Just switched out my carbine buffer to an h2 and adjusted the gas block one my 10.5 suppressed .223 And ran a lot smoother then the regular carbine buffer it felt like And for the cartridges ejecting at 2:45-3:45 from cheap ammo to expensive to hand loads

13. Tyler Smith

Tyler Smith

7B55F673-91CA-4520-81EC-0DA1AD7DD5B5.jpeg Father in law running the build now he already put out and order for 2 for himself

14. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Standard carbine buffers and springs on all of mine, with carbine, mid and rifle-length gas systems. No issues. Not sure what came in my PSA pistol with carbine length gas system. I've never checked.

15. Pn3455

Pn3455

I like the JP springs and either a spikes ST-T2 buffer of an H2. But yes I also tune the gun for weakest ammo im shooting.

ACE31 likes this.
  16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

This is key

MarkCO likes this.
  17. ACE31

ACE31

Agreed with the tune/spring choice. And I also use the Spikes T2 or Kaw Valley H2 tungsten powdered version in all my carbine and pistol builds.

Tyler Smith likes this.
  18. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

At one time or another messed with everything from standard CAR buffer, through the H series, to the 9mm and MGI. They're in drawers and ammo cans now. Somewhere.

Best - as in what works 100% with every upper I own - is the A1 rifle stock/buffer/spring that's been on the 16s for the last 15-20 years. Took one down last year to check length after.......35k?........no detectable shortening vs a new replacement.

19. Pn3455

Pn3455

I probably wouldn't of started messing with buffers and springs, except for my first build. It was a middy with a nice barrel and a Palmetto lower kit. The recoil stung my cheek evertime I fired it. I ultimately put adjustable gas and the Jp spring with spikes buffer and it's a dream fo shoot now.

MarkCO likes this.