Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed several times that the local BWW's has a sign regarding guns. It basically states something like (paraphrased)
"Warning carrying a gun inside a class d liquor licensed establishment may be a felony"

To me, this reads more like an informational sign rather than a sign prohibiting the carry of a gun. In Ohio, with a concealed carry license, I am allowed to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol as long as I don't drink.

Does it sound to you guys like this would be a legal place to carry? By the way, signs posting that carry is not allowed do carry the force of law.

· Registered
446 Posts
The BWW here is also posted no CCW. To me it reads, "Buffalo Wild Wings does not want your business". There are a few decent joints to eat nearby that do want my business, so I spend my money with them.

· Registered
7,642 Posts
Arizona is similar.
Permit holders can carry in an establishment serving alcohol as long as they don't drink.
But signs posting that carry is not allowed do carry the force of law.

IMHO I'd take my business elsewhere.

I really miss Florida.
As long at the location isn't specifically prohibited by the permit.
Ridiculous No Weapon signs can be ignored.
Just like the bad guys ignore them.

Barth

· Polymerlicious!
6,642 Posts
I think the key word is "may".
I see it all the time in Ohio. I think the signs are probably ordered by some legal dweeb in Corporate for national distribution, unaware and uncaring about state or local laws.
I think as long as you follow the law and don't drink, you're probably just fine, but I'm not an attorney and I don't even play one on the internet.

· The Snowflakes have invaded GT
4,268 Posts
Some corporate lawyer wrote this to keep both the antis and CCWers happy.

It allows us to carry but the anti's are so stupid they think it keeps us out. Hahahaha.

· Registered
898 Posts
Troy Ohio BW3s had a sign on the outer door stating firearms prohibited. A new one opened in Greenville, Ohio and there is no signs posted. Greenville, is a little more rural. Don't know if that was a factor.

· Registered
3,256 Posts
Been that way for a long time around here in Wisconsin. As far as I can remember, they've been a no gun zone since Wisconsin enacted CCW.

I'd be disappointing, but I think their food and service is wildly overrated. There's much better out there IMO.

· Registered
15,611 Posts
if indeed it does say "may", it sounds to me like they are warning you not to drink if you are carrying on the premises. I don't drink alcohol, so I would be legal. know the law, in my state, the law is very specific on signage, but if you are unsure about a business's views on CC, ask a manager or owner.:cool:

· "The Sarge"
758 Posts
The hell with them. Their wings don't impress me either. Here in PA BWW don't even want off duty LEOs carrying. Of course BWW will guaranty your safety. I go else where. Bill

· Registered
16,885 Posts
I tried BWW once, that was enough for me. I personally don't care about their political stance, mediocre food and poor service was enough to turn me off.

My favorite wings place is a local mom and pop restaurant, owner always has a S&W snubbie on his belt. I've heard tell after closing, once the deposit has been dropped and the doors are locked, his snubbie goes in the safe before the Maker's Mark comes out.

· Registered
256 Posts
Arizona is similar.
Permit holders can carry in an establishment serving alcohol as long as they don't drink.
But signs posting that carry is not allowed do carry the force of law.

IMHO I'd take my business elsewhere.

I really miss Florida.
As long at the location isn't specifically prohibited by the permit.
Ridiculous No Weapon signs can be ignored.
Just like the bad guys ignore them.

Barth
Same as here in SC. SC defines a legally binding NO CCW sign and the sign MUST meet those exact requirements - size, color, angle of the line thru gun, etc., if it does not meet requirements - you may carry.
If a sign has a gun with an X thru it - you may carry. if asked to leave, however, you must.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if indeed it does say "may", it sounds to me like they are warning you not to drink if you are carrying on the premises. I don't drink alcohol, so I would be legal. know the law, in my state, the law is very specific on signage, but if you are unsure about a business's views on CC, ask a manager or owner.:cool:
It does say may. So, I'm inclined to think I can legally carry if I don't drink. The biggest issue I have is that Ohio doesn't require a specific sign. They give an example (which most businesses that post use) but they say it does not have match exactly.

Edit: I would prefer not to ask. Heard to many stories of a store being posted after someone asks.

3,307 Posts
In TX, we have a few signs that we have to concern ourselves with. First and foremost is the 30.06 sign that is specific to CHL (concealed handgun license) holders, and informs us that even though we are licensed to carry, we are blocked from carrying at that establishment and that it would be a Class A misdemeanor (Criminal Trespass by a CHL holder) to carry therein.

The second sign is the 51% sign. This sign tells us that the establishment derives 51% or more of its income from alcohol sales (basically it's a bar) and we are automatically not allowed to carry there. (though we can carry in places where alcohol is sold and can even consume... not recommended if your carrying to consume)

The third sign (closer to what your sign seems to indicate) is the "unlicensed carry" sign, which reads in part "the unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises......... is a felony with....." which basically tells a CHL holder that if you are licensed and are carrying, then you're good to go here... but people without a license that are carrying would be committing a 3rd degree felony.

I think the sign you're talking about may carry the same type of meaning. If you're not sure, call your licensing authority and ask.

· Registered
583 Posts
All signs have been removed around here. Given my lousy experience Saturday, I think it probably doesn't matter to me anymore.
BWW is overpriced snack food. I don't darken their door
But to the point of the notice, the OP has it right, sign satisfies both parties. Smart lawyer. AR doesn't permit ccw into bar. If food is sold I.e. a restaurant that sell alcohol you can enter with gun, but can't drink.......0.08% or below.

· Registered
3,925 Posts
In non legalese, that translates to "if you bring your gun in, don't drink or do anything dumb". For what a dozen wings cost there, you could just go the grocery and buy a 3lb bag and BBQ. Not worth the trouble.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
Been that way for a long time around here in Wisconsin. As far as I can remember, they've been a no gun zone since Wisconsin enacted CCW.

I'd be disappointing, but I think their food and service is wildly overrated. There's much better out there IMO.
I didn't see the signs in New Berlin, but did on 27th St., and of the two you're more likely to need one on 27th.:whistling:

· Registered
3,003 Posts
I've noticed several times that the local BWW's has a sign regarding guns. It basically states something like (paraphrased)
"Warning carrying a gun inside a class d liquor licensed establishment may be a felony"

To me, this reads more like an informational sign rather than a sign prohibiting the carry of a gun. In Ohio, with a concealed carry license, I am allowed to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol as long as I don't drink.

Does it sound to you guys like this would be a legal place to carry? By the way, signs posting that carry is not allowed do carry the force of law.
There is a Buffalo Wild Wings in the eastern part of my county that told police officers that they had to disarm before entering their establishment. There is a BWW close to where I live and I have never patronized it for this reason. Such signage is rare in my area.

"By the way, signs posting that carry is not allowed do carry the force of law."
Maybe in Ohio but not in my state.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.