Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they a little hotter than the big manufacturer's loadings? I see where BB has their 90gr HP doing ~949 out of a KelTec (what, a 2.75" barrel or so?). Speer's website has the 90gr HP doing ~970 from a 3.75" test barrel. So it would seem that even BB's standard pressure loads in .380 are a little spicier than the other's loadings. Seem like a sound assumption?

·
In The Saddle
10,277 Posts
Are they a little hotter than the big manufacturer's loadings? I see where BB has their 90gr HP doing ~949 out of a KelTec (what, a 2.75" barrel or so?). Speer's website has the 90gr HP doing ~970 from a 3.75" test barrel. So it would seem that even BB's standard pressure loads in .380 are a little spicier than the other's loadings. Seem like a sound assumption?
I think we been here before. Excuse me if it was not you... BB is a tad more beefy. I do hope if ya carry that 380 you will consider BB Hard Cast bullet.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=216
Might want to read this if you already have'nt.

This is going to give you waaay more penetration than even a faster moving JHP. You want all the penetration you can squeeze out of that thing man.

Just a suggestion. ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

Proud BARF Member

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we been here before. Excuse me if it was not you... BB is a tad more beefy. I do hope if ya carry that 380 you will consider BB Hard Cast bullet.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=216
Might want to read this if you already have'nt.

This is going to give you waaay more penetration than even a faster moving JHP. You want all the penetration you can squeeze out of that thing man.

Just a suggestion. ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan
I had a thread about the +P hard-cast loads. If a certain firearm wasn't recommended for +P and you had to settle for standard pressure loads I was wondering how the non +P loads looked.

#1) They are more readily available than other self-defense ammo (albeit pricey).

and

#2) It appears they load to the "edge" (hard-cast and HP alike).

·
In The Saddle
10,277 Posts
I had a thread about the +P hard-cast loads. If a certain firearm wasn't recommended for +P and you had to settle for standard pressure loads I was wondering how the non +P loads looked.

#1) They are more readily available than other self-defense ammo (albeit pricey).

and

#2) It appears they load to the "edge" (hard-cast and HP alike).

Well, I feel like I'm not being much help to ya pard. I would still go with the BB "standard pressure," in the Harcast, if you can't use +P loads. If you have never shot "true Hard cast, (as theirs are), you will be very surprised how well it can make a small gun like that come alive a whole lot better in the target end. I load almost 98% Harcast for all my big bores, and some small stuff as well. Have been doing it for over 40+ years. I love HC bullets on big game, and small as well, and as I said, if I were going to carry a 380 back up or not, I would put the BB's in there as 'long as there are no feeding problems.' It would give me more confidence with that Keltec, or any 380 for that matter, If i had to use one.

If you read ALL the stuff BB had one their web site about the 100gr BB standard Pressure HC 380, it should have encouraged you.

I have a Makarov In the truck, Dang, what don't I have in the truck. Ha. In any case, I am going to load up some heavy HC's for it when I can, and i will trust them far and above the FMJ for that caliber.

Good luck to ya. Suggestion: I would go a head and just get a box of the BB HC 100gr's, and if you have a palce you can go "shoot some stuff" like wood, metal, junk stuff, go do it, and I believe you will be greatly impressed how much more "gun" you will have in the 380 with the HC bullets. ;)

Stay safe.

CanyonMan

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I feel like I'm not being much help to ya pard. I would still go with the BB "standard pressure," in the Harcast, if you can't use +P loads. If you have never shot "true Hard cast, (as theirs are), you will be very surprised how well it can make a small gun like that come alive a whole lot better in the target end. I load almost 98% Harcast for all my big bores, and some small stuff as well. Have been doing it for over 40+ years. I love HC bullets on big game, and small as well, and as I said, if I were going to carry a 380 back up or not, I would put the BB's in there as 'long as there are no feeding problems.' It would give me more confidence with that Keltec, or any 380 for that matter, If i had to use one.

If you read ALL the stuff BB had one their web site about the 100gr BB standard Pressure HC 380, it should have encouraged you.

I have a Makarov In the truck, Dang, what don't I have in the truck. Ha. In any case, I am going to load up some heavy HC's for it when I can, and i will trust them far and above the FMJ for that caliber.

Good luck to ya. Suggestion: I would go a head and just get a box of the BB HC 100gr's, and if you have a palce you can go "shoot some stuff" like wood, metal, junk stuff, go do it, and I believe you will be greatly impressed how much more "gun" you will have in the 380 with the HC bullets. ;)

Stay safe.

CanyonMan
Appreciate the input as always. I bought a new Kahr P380 and while I don't think a steady diet of +P is recommended, a few won't hurt (as long as they cycle properly).

·
In The Saddle
10,277 Posts
Appreciate the input as always. I bought a new Kahr P380 and while I don't think a steady diet of +P is recommended, a few won't hurt (as long as they cycle properly).

Practice with standard loads and IF the +P's work well, and you are 100% certain they are flawless in funtion, then maybe carry those.
Not to beat a dead horse here, but even the standard loads in BB 100gr HC would be a good bet amigo. ;)

Good shooting
Stay safe.

CM

·
DirtyGlockHippy
1,297 Posts
I believe you will be greatly impressed how much more "gun" you will have in the 380 with the HC bullets. ;)

Stay safe.

CanyonMan
holdonthere partner, in not sayin' the HC is a bad load or anything. what i dont see is a BG being stopped by one any faster that a top performing JHP in the caliber.

just saying the only place it might be more gun is if ur' shootin' thru steel or in your mind or Canyons or sumpin'.

:supergrin:

·
In The Saddle
10,277 Posts
holdonthere partner, in not sayin' the HC is a bad load or anything. what i dont see is a BG being stopped by one any faster that a top performing JHP in the caliber.

just saying the only place it might be more gun is if ur' shootin' thru steel or in your mind or canyons or sumpin'.

Listen to what you just said my friend. I don't mean it makes the gun a 44 mag. What is clear here, that I have been saying to the OP all along is a word you have troube with. "Penetration." ;) HaHa.

There is NO such thing as a "top performing JHP" in a mouse gun. They do not have what it takes to penetrate well enough to do major damage to the vitals. This is where most people end up getting hurt or killed using these guns. Even with say 147gr GD's out of a 9mil, or 180gr Winchester T's out odf a 40 s&w, it is still not a killing machine. No handgun (service caliber) is that great at SD. But we use them the best we can and go on.

The 380 brings us way down the scale from the 9mil and the 40 s&w as far as vel and bullet weight/ diameter, etc etc. So we need all the help we can in this caliber to ensure deep penetration. In fact I am looking for the deepest pen I can in all my guns.

JHP's in a mouse gun is the worst idea since Oprah. The BG will be better secured, stopped, slowed down, whatever, 'out of a gun like this' with a bullet that will have a meplat, and the sectional density of the HC, and cut through and penetrate deeply as possible. A JHP is not a good idea what soever out of a 380 for SD. In this respect, YES, it does give him "more gun", (if you will). (Let the reader please understand).

Also, this is not a bullet just for steel and "canyons" as you put it. I do not have SD problems in the canyons. I carry "to town" what I believe in the caliber I carry, will penetrate the fool out of what I shoot. That is why I carry 230gr ball in the 45acp. and heavy for caliber JHP's in all other calibers , "in town."

The 100gr HC with a meplat out of the OP's 380, glocksterr, truly is the best bet for a small weapon of this nature. There is just not enough veloscity and horse power in 'this caliber' to assure that a JHP wil go through a BG's arm or a small barrrier of sorts one may very well encounter in a SD situation, 'and still" reach the vitals deep inside to stop the threat. That is why the encourgement to the OP to use the hevier soild HC to ensure confidence with such a small caliber that he wishes to carry. I would like to see him stay with us a good long while. ;)

Stay safe.

CanyonMan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very interesting read. I was just wondering what load would do my .380 glock 25 good in terms of stopping a BG in his tracks. Is it that the +P can't? or is the +P+ a grade to avoid altogether as it can damage the firearm?

·
Matthew 25:31-46
4,323 Posts
CorBon also makes several different loadings of fast 380 ammo also. Their other performance claims are more modest than what is written on the BB site.

BB treats over penetration as a non issue. Over penetration was one of the reasons that American police forces adopted hollow point bullets, as well as HPs being gnerally more effective than the round point ammo of the time.

Check out Corbon's offerings for yourself.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/

·
In The Saddle
10,277 Posts
so you know how many guys that died because the .380 was not enough gun???

No I don't have a figure do you?

I simply said this is what gets people hurt or killed... i.E. "Wrong thinking."
You should more carefully read the post amigo, and in that try and glean what is being said maybe... ;)

CanyonMan

·
DirtyGlockHippy
1,297 Posts
amigo, im not endorsing the peeps to go out and carry a .380. im a carry the biggest gun/caliber you can conceal/handle kind of guy. when i "go to town" i carry a G23 loaded with 165gr. HST's. its not my first choice for balistics, that would be .480 ruger. if i cant get that i would settle for .44mag.

what does all this have to do with .380? with the top loads its not nearly as inept @ stopping a BG as some would have you believe.

if my .40 Short&Weak or .380 if you happen to catch me travelin' light is not enough gun then i guess its just my time to go. im fast like a rattlesnake so i got that going for me.

:cool:

·
In The Saddle
10,277 Posts
amigo, im not endorsing the peeps to go out and carry a .380. im a carry the biggest gun/caliber you can conceal/handle kind of guy. when i "go to town" i carry a G23 loaded with 165gr. HST's. its not my first choice for balistics, that would be .480 ruger. if i cant get that i would settle for .44mag.

what does all this have to do with .380? with the top loads its not nearly as inept @ stopping a BG as some would have you believe.

if my .40 Short&Weak or .380 if you happen to catch me travelin' light is not enough gun then i guess its just my time to go. im fast like a rattlesnake so i got that going for me.

:cool:

OK, all kinds of misunderstandings here... I never endorsed the use of a 380. I would never carry one. I answered the question of my bud (the OP) as best I could, that IF you are going to carry the 380, at least use 100gr HC bullets in it to help save your bacon. They will fair far better than a JHP IMO out of the 380.

Glad you carry a big bore. So do I. Always have. As I said before, not even service calibers are good killing machines . I guess I am not getting your point here some where ? I did read your stuff about the JHP's and I answered.

I am not sure what your really saying to be honest with ya hoss, so I am happy you carry a big bore gun. And am glad your fast as a rattler! But even with their deadly fangs and lighting speed, I've put many of them in the ground ;) Why? They were no match for my 45. ;)

You stay safe now.

CanyonMan

·
DirtyGlockHippy
1,297 Posts
am glad your fast as a rattler! But even with their deadly fangs and lighting speed, I've put many of them in the ground ;) Why? They were no match for my 45. ;)

You stay safe now.

CanyonMan

and if that rattler had a .380 loaded with DPX...

:whistling:

much respect as always for you CM!

Happy Trails
GS

·
In The Saddle
10,277 Posts
and if that rattler had a .380 loaded with DPX...

:whistling:

much respect as always for you CM!

Happy Trails
GS

When these rattlers out here on the ranch start carrying guns, I'm exchanging horseback, for the dozer in the barn, and carrying "full auto" weapons. ;)

Stay safe man.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts