close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buffalo Bore hard cast and barrel fouling

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ABNAK, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ABNAK

ABNAK

Specifically the .380 +P 100gr hard cast load. How much "leading" would one expect from these rounds?

I see the 95gr FMJ flat point load they make *supposedly* penetrates just as well as the 100gr hard cast one.

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I have shot hard cast bullets for over 45 years now in all kinds of guns and calibers that I load for. BB ammo, understands the difference in alloy mixes, antimony, and produces a bullet that is not " pure lead" per se, but mixed with other materials as tin etc, ( i don't know their exact recipe), but I do know that even stock glock barrels won't lead up very much with their HC bullets.

There is a difference between lead bullets, and hard cast. I use 20/21 BHN (hardness) HC and never have a fouling problem that leads me to any concern. I shoot these same loads, (my handloads) in 20/21 BHN through glock barrels all the time.

BB uses hard enough Bullets to ensure minimum lead build up. Also keep in mind they are making their HC for those hunting even large and dangerous game. BB and Garrets, and the like, use a pretty hard BHN.

If you feel the need, and are concerned about it, drop them a line or a call, and ask the BHN. I would not hesitate to use them in the 380, or any other gun. If their bhn is 19 or harder, I would not be one bit concerned. They don't want a bad rap for lead fouled guns.. Because that is a dangerous pressure building problem. Their reputation is for quality HC hard hitting rounds...

Their 95gr FMJ flat point load would be great I think. That 'flat point' working like a small meplat and still giving you a cookie cutter effect. I would much rather have the 100gr HC of theirs though if you are going to use a 380.

I would not worry on it, and go shoot and enjoy. As with anything. Keep an eye ball peeled and take a look every few shoots. I believe you will be just fine with BB with no worries... ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

3. ABNAK

ABNAK

Thanks for the input. I don't know much about casting bullets so it was informative.

BTW, is (for example) Break-Free Foaming Bore Cleaner a good lead remover? If not, what removes lead residue?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  4. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Brass Brush?

5. ABNAK

ABNAK

Cute. :upeyes:

There are solvents that are specifically designed for lead removal, just not sure which ones.

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

You are welcome !

I use Birchwood Casey Bore scrubber, and Shooters Choice copper remover.
    I was advised by one of the largest custom barrel makers in USA, Sheliens (sp) after a tour of their plant, to use these. to remove the copper and other residue fouling. All I know is my 7mm Rem mag holds a 5 shot group under a dime to a quarter at POA, after scrubbing out with these products. There are more expencive stuff out there, but hey, who can argue with this. ? ;)

Use a copper brush and tons of elbow greese, and lots of patches untill all is clean...

Again, I want to encourage you go for the BB HC bullet for your 380. It will be fine...... ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

ABNAK,

Sorry I forgot all about the JB Bore Cleaner, also the Lewis lead remover, for really getting out the lead. I had copper on the mind when I wrote my above post. Although these products will help, the ones I've listed here are better for lead. Sorry I forgot about that before...

You can probably get these at Cabela's or Brownells, etc...

Good luck to ya.

CM

8. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Thanks!!! :tongueout:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  9. ABNAK

ABNAK

Thanks for the clarification. I'll look for those.