Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what components BB is using to make this load?

Pretty impressive velocities, and some people claim little muzzle flash here at Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/94...ad-flat-nose-gas-check-box-of-20#ReviewHeader

My Father in Law just got an SP-101, and now I am really interested in the caliber. Not sure how these would feel out of small frame gun, but it would probably be nice to shoot out of a medium sized target gun.

Thanks for any information.

·
woo woo
31,240 Posts
Anyone know what components BB is using to make this load?

Pretty impressive velocities, and some people claim little muzzle flash here at Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/94...ad-flat-nose-gas-check-box-of-20#ReviewHeader

My Father in Law just got an SP-101, and now I am really interested in the caliber. Not sure how these would feel out of small frame gun, but it would probably be nice to shoot out of a medium sized target gun.

Thanks for any information.
Supposedly he uses non-canister powders, so not off the shelf stuff. Bullets are likely Rimrocks, I know he uses those for the .38sp swc and lswchp loads.

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
Your best bet for getting close to those velocities is going to be a magnum primer and H110 / 296.

When I criticize that powder, it's because it has a narrow range of operation, but that's it's niche: full power magnum loads.

...and yes, you're going to get a fireball from a short barrel.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your best bet for getting close to those velocities is going to be a magnum primer and H110 / 296.

When I criticize that powder, it's because it has a narrow range of operation, but that's it's niche: full power magnum loads.

...and yes, you're going to get a fireball from a short barrel.
Thanks for the replies.

If I was looking for a load slightly lower in velocity, that compromised on the fireball, what powder would be a good place to start?

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
To tone it down some one of the medium speed powders would work, Unique, Universal, then up to 2400 & such.

Yep. 2400 will get you close to top speeds. I like it being a little more flexible for my lever actions... just load to what the gun likes and leave it alone. No need for magnum primer with this powder. It's still going to have some flash (going to be hard to avoid with slow powders and a short barrel), but not as bad as H110 or Blue Dot for example.

·
10mm Advocate
6,908 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

If I was looking for a load slightly lower in velocity, that compromised on the fireball, what powder would be a good place to start?
#2400 to get there. To best duplicate that BB load, N110 instead of H110/W296. 180/1400 isn't hard to get from a service revolver.

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
#2400 to get there. To best duplicate that BB load, N110 instead of H110/W296. 180/1400 isn't hard to get from a service revolver.
Forgot about N110. VV powders are as rare as unicorn meat around here. Good stuff... still trying to compete in that same niche. Might do better.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To tone it down some one of the medium speed powders would work, Unique, Universal, then up to 2400 & such.
Not seeing data for Universal with the 180, at least in my manuals, or the Hodgdon site. But maybe I am not looking in the right place.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks Freak. I will have to get some 2400.

Out of the factory ammo we shot last weekend, my father in law liked the 158gr stuff the most. What powders do you all recommend for that weight? Not looking for the absolute top velocity, just a good balance of medium power/recoil/muzzle blast.

Thanks for the help, I have no experience with the .357 yet.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot about N110. VV powders are as rare as unicorn meat around here. Good stuff... still trying to compete in that same niche. Might do better.
I can wait for it. I will only look at the 180 BB duplication if I get a 357 target sized gun, and that's not going to happen soon.

·
10mm Advocate
6,908 Posts
Thanks Freak. I will have to get some 2400.

Out of the factory ammo we shot last weekend, my father in law liked the 158gr stuff the most. What powders do you all recommend for that weight? Not looking for the absolute top velocity, just a good balance of medium power/recoil/muzzle blast.

Thanks for the help, I have no experience with the .357 yet.
Same as a 180gr.

Medium: #2400 or #9.

Magnum: H110/W296 or N110.

If you like velocity, pick the magnum group. If you like practicality, pick the medium group.

In the .357, a 180gr cast at 1200fps will kill a deer just fine at 100y. Velocity is good to a point, but there is a practicality limit. Faster must just be all that much better, right?

Leave the velocity to the jacketed bullet crowd. I have little use for either. Cast and moderate is what gets the job done. Jacketed just tries to do what cast has always done well.

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
Same as a 180gr.

Medium: #2400 or #9.

Magnum: H110/W296 or N110.

If you like velocity, pick the magnum group. If you like practicality, pick the medium group.

Maybe I'm nit-picking, but I wouldn't put those in two different groups. 2400 is only giving up MAYBE 50-100 fps vs H110 on the top end... it's just that it is useful below top end where H110 is all or nothing.

For me, a medium load would be a 158 grain and Unique. You can certainly leave .38 Special +P in the dust, but easier to shoot than full house .357's.

·
10mm Advocate
6,908 Posts
W296 was formulated as the first factory powder for the .357 Magnum. It was the first magnum handgun powder and thus why I consider it a magnum and #2400 not a magnum powder. #2400, BD, and #9 are similar in burn rate and results. Neither are a magnum powder.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same as a 180gr.

If you like practicality, pick the medium group.
This is where my interest always lies. If I can have extra velocity and not pay a large price in other ways, I will sometimes go for it, but it is a secondary concern for me. Performance and practical results are the main ones.

·
Registered
36,590 Posts
I've used 2400 in a snubby w/ full power loads, it's impressive but less blast & flash than H110. You do give up about 50fps but w/ 160-180gr bullets, not a big deal, especially when talking cast lead.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've used 2400 in a snubby w/ full power loads, it's impressive but less blast & flash than H110. You do give up about 50fps but w/ 160-180gr bullets, not a big deal, especially when talking cast lead.
Thanks, Sounds like 2400 will be what I buy next. I have a bottle of Ramshot Enforcer laying around, and I noticed that it was right between the burn rate of 2400 or AA#9.
Anyone have experience with Enforcer and the .357?

·
local trouble maker
9,139 Posts
GT caliber corner has pretty much dissected all his loads. He tends to go with real slow powders and pack them tight. You defentamly would not want to use and old or light duty gun with his loads.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Go here for best results

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/books.shtml

get this book

JACKETED PERFORMANCE WITH CAST BULLETS
By Veral Smith

and you will not believe the results.

You can beat the BB and save money.
My fav. mold for the .357 is his 187gr.fn.

The sp 101 is stronger than the j frame.

I would tell you my results but the experts would
say I was full of it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts