Budget 1911 Range Report

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by CC Glock, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Maybe a difference in the extractor groove of the cases or maybe a difference in the recoil of the rounds. Hard to say.

2. chuck73080

chuck73080

The Act Mag is the one that Armscor uses. Next time try this Mag only and see if that helps. You might also try polishing your feed ramp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. pblanc

pblanc

It's possible. Sometimes when you have an extractor with insufficient tension that does not hold the case as tightly against the breech face as it should, the rounds in the magazine may support the case as the slide cycles just enough to allow the extractor to hold on to the case long enough for it to hit the ejector and get kicked out. It is possible that a loosely held spent case will glide over a round nose ball projectile in the magazine but hot a JHP round with a flat meplat.

I have an RIA full size in .45 ACP and I have not had great luck with the Act-Mag that came with it. I usually use Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick magazines.

4. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

687790C2-12D8-4F9B-B610-824E4FB09339.jpeg B87FFA32-F04A-4C0A-B7E4-10371BE0AB56.jpeg Recently got an initial range session with My 10mm version.

Performance was trouble-free and the gun likes to run fast. Heft is nice.

5. pblanc

pblanc

Here is a link to some information that may or may not be helpful to you. There is a test of extractor function that has long been used by owners of model 1911 pistols with internal extractors called the Hilton Yam test. My understanding is that Yam did not invent this test but popularized it.

https://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=131

The test is designed to bring out an issue with insufficient extractor tension, or an improperly formed ejector hook, resulting in failures to eject. An extractor with marginal tension will allow the spent case to "droop" since it is not held tightly against the breech face. In this circumstance proper ejection can sometimes still occur most of the time because the drooping case head is supported by and rides over the next round in the magazine so the extractor maintains just enough control over it to carry it back to the ejector. But without a magazine in the pistol, the spent case drops off the breech face and either falls out the empty magazine well or stovepipes. With an empty magazine the spent case might jam against the feed lips causing a jam, or damaging the magazine.

Although the Hilton Yam test is a very sensitive test to check for extractor problems as a cause of failures to eject, it is not specific for that cause. In other words there are other potential causes of failures to eject that occur with a properly formed and tensioned extractor. But extractor issues are probably the most common cause for failures to eject in model 1911 pistols with an internal extractor.

chuck73080 likes this.
  6. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

You guys are killing me with your railed RIA hand cannons! Those RIA Tacticals are sweet!

7. chuck73080

chuck73080

This one isn't an RIA or tactical but I love the way it looks.

Remington R1.jpg

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856710019

DubfromGA and 'Ol Grandad like this.
  8. chuck73080

chuck73080

Or this one, also not an RIA, but TACTICAL:eyelashes:

SPS Pantera.png
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857213899

OK, that's all the excitement I can handle today. It's nap time:rolleyes:

9. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

chuck73080 likes this.
  10. chuck73080

chuck73080

pblanc

Thanks for this valuable information. I found the comments after the article very interesting also.

11. CC Glock

CC Glock

It was the extractor tension!!! Thanks everyone for all the help! First tried the test above and on the 2nd or 3rd round I got a fte. Happened the next 2 rounds as well. Took the extractor out and went to the guy that runs the range for pliers to bend it. He taught me a trick, put it half way in the gun and use the slide to bend it! 24 rounds later without the magazine and it was flawless with them all. Ran 3 mags of my jhp's as fast as I could and it was smooth as butter. The gun just went from a range toy to a home defense hand cannon! The high capacity mag still had failure to feeds, nose down but I'll just pick up another one sometime.

pblanc likes this.
  12. chuck73080

chuck73080

Good to hear you've solved your problem, I've heard that too much tension causes ejected brass to kiss your slide. Mine was bad at first, but now it rarely does it.

13. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Thanks for sharing your experience.

You do realize that you're now screwed right?

1911s can breed like rabbits and they're asexual. All alone in the safe and then you turn around...and now you have two. Then three. Then...

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

:)

CC Glock likes this.
  14. DAKA

DAKA

My "cheap" RI 1911 9 mm is my favorite shooter, I'm most accurate with this gun
    For $458 can't be beat...no FTF's or FTE's after the first 5 mags...
    Only problem is that they are so damn heavy..my old arms can only do 5 mags (10 rounds) per range visit...

15. pochis

pochis

when I had my first Rock I talk to a gunsmith for ria and told me to load the mag for the 1st 24hrs and then shoot it it never failed, they have stiff springs.