close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buddys G19 with laser didn't sell me

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bordner, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Bordner

Bordner

So a buddy and I went to the gun show last weekend and he walked out with a Crimson Trace Trigger Guard Laser for his G19. I was considering one for my 17 but thought I'd try his out first before spending the $250 on one. :whistling: Glad I waited. They are not all they are cracked up to be in my opinion. I shot just as well (maybe a little better) without the laser. Don't get me wrong, it's "cool" just not $250 cool.

2. G26ster

G26ster

How did you shoot the gun with the laser? From gun sight level in typical shooting stance? Or, from the hip (or close), or one handed at chest level? That's where the laser is a great rapid target acquisition aid. A laser from the normal iron sight shooting stance and sight position is not going to be any more accurate than the gun sights. It's not meant for that purpose. Just my $.02

Pretty good set of videos on this page from Crimson Trace:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Videos/TheArtOfSurvivalChapter1/tabid/399/Default.aspx

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010

3. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

Glocks + Lasermax = Perfection. Crimson Trace lasers are good only for guns that will not accept a LM.

I have at least 10 lasers on my guns. CT is always a 2nd choice.

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Just the opposite here. I have 8 CT's(2 for 1911; 2 for Glock; 1 for SP101; 1 for M&P; 1 for LCP and 1 for AR) and 1 LM. The LM was already in my G30 when I bought the gun and after owning one, I'd never buy another one.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. pilot5131

pilot5131

Because?

6. Jakemug

Jakemug

The laser is a must if you want the bad guy to dramatically look at the red dot on his chest and try to brush it off before you plug him...

7. minsonngo

minsonngo 9mm wins.

Agreed.

I shoot better just using the sights.

I think laser is more of a crutch. Will be harder to "walk" without it.

Better off with a rail mounted light.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. tinman517

tinman517

I believe that a laser is a great asset for HD purposes. In short without too much explanation, for me, I think that I can acquire an intruding target much quicker in the dark, in my home.

9. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

The laser is really handy if you're presbyopic and can't see the front sight because your arms are too short.

The downside is that you have to rethink all your shooting training and watch the target rather than the front sight.

10. Jakemug

Jakemug

This is a good point. Although, if an intruder finds themself in my home, it's the 00 buckshot they need be concerned with.

I had some CT grips on a Beretta 92fs. Seemed to shoot spot on from the hip at around 60 feet after a few minor adjustments. No experience on a Glock, but they're no doubt quality products.

11. Tommy Kelly

Tommy Kelly

Personally I had rather have the night sights. The laser lights up at both ends it gives you away as well as showing where it's supposed to hit in the dark. The night sights only show up behind the pistol. The muzzle flash is all they will see in the dark then it's too late. I could see where it may be ok for hip shots but I don't plan on doing that. With night sights the bad guy doesn't see anything until the muzzle flash and I will have made up my mind that's what I want to do before he ever knows what or where I am. Besides there are a world of laser sights on ebay for around $25.00 for the rails on most glocks. They make a lot more sence to me than a grip mounted sight for 10 times the money.

12. ambluemax

ambluemax

I think lazers are just another bandaid for people who don't practice enough. IMO, if you keep a gun for serious purposes there is no excuss not to practice, gadgets won't pick up the slack. If one practies shooting from the hip at close range, its pretty straight forwad and effective without device assistance.

I shoot from the hip when appropriate (even if not required) in competition with only a moderate amount of practice...I'm all -0's and '1's inside of 5 yards...all natural.

There is no problem a lazer solves that isn't better solved with live fire practice at the range.

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

You shouldn't be judging a laser by how much it helps your accuracy. The purpose of a laser is to help your aim in less than perfect light or from odd positions. If you wake up in the middle of the night to investigate a noise it is much easier to see a bright red dot than to make out your sights(even night sights). I think the laser should be paired with a light like a TLR-2 so you can identify your target and know where you are pointing immediately.

14. G26ster

G26ster

So you practice at the range, in low light, with moving targets that fire back, and from positions where you are surprised and are not standing?

15. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

In the dark I can hold a flashlight cross-armed and see quite well.
    Amazing cops did this for decades and survived without lasers.
    I also would really like to aim a bigger gun, for a LCP or something very up close a laser may add in point shooting, but if I can aim, I would like to and not shoot from my hipp like Matt Dillon.
    But walking throught my home with a flashlight seems as effective as a laser. Just takes training.

Now I wouldn't mind one of those ultra expensive ones that mount through the guide rod.
    Those don't make it bulkier. I hate adding bulk to guns whether mag extension, flashlights, lasers, or think grips.

16. ambluemax

ambluemax

Actually yes to all except targets that shoot back...nobody does that. Do you?

17. G26ster

G26ster

Nope, not possible. But that's a reason to have a laser. As I said before, and others have said, a laser is an "aid" and not a "substitute" for iron sights, but of great use in those situations where using your iron sights quickly and accurately may not be possible. I only use the laser at the range to occasionally verify it's still properly sighted.

If you deny the possibility that those situations could occur, I think you're fooling yourself. But, then again, like everything else, it really is a matter of personal choice.