Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Feb 14, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD Guest

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Are you sure the trainer model is pretty enough?

3. DBradD

DBradD Guest

LOL. I think I WOULDN'T order some of the others for that reason!

4. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I received my rope yesterday. Seems very well made and fast. Changing the rope length is slightly irritating, but not too bad.

I was able to do a few double unders with it, which I couldn't do with my old rope.

5. proactive

proactive

This is pretty funny. I just bought one of these from Buddy Lee last month. I got the $34 model at the top of the page. I agree about adjusting rope length, but it's nice that the rope and bearings can be replaced easy enough as they wear. I'm keeping an eye out for replacement rope material at home depot etc. The rope is fast; much faster than I'm able to utilize at this point.

6. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Adjusting the crosstrainer model is a little work, but not too bad. My problem was that I didn't have any thumbtacks in the house! It's also a little hard keeping the screw straight as it goes in. If it's not pretty straight, then the end of the screw gets near the surface of the material.

Mine is a lot faster than I'm used to, also. I'm getting much better at double-unders. Before I could only do one at a time. Saturday, I did a workout with a bunch of double-unders and I had lots of 10-15 consecutive ones before losing it.

Jumping rope is an awesome workout. My calves were very sore for a couple of days afterward.

I did 10 rounds of

60 sec. single-unders
    30 sec. double-unders
    30 sec. rest

for a 20 min. workout.

Sometime soon, I'm going to try a 20 min. continuous workout to see how that goes.

7. proactive

proactive

Your rope-fu is much stronger than mine. I'll be working on technique and conditioning for a while before I can attempt 20 min straight, let alone with doubles. I put on a lot of "new daddy" weight over the last year.

8. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I would never be able to do doubles for that long. For a 20 min. workout, I'd just randomly mix up one-foot, two-feet, etc. It would be cool to jump rope like Enamait does on his video. He must be a 10th degree blackbelt in rope-fu.

"New daddy weight"--that's funny. Our girl is 4.5 weeks old at this point and I'm trying desperately to stabilize everything. I actually lost about 5 lb in the first two weeks after she was born because I was so busy that I'd forget to eat.

9. proactive

proactive

Ross is a freak in the best sense of the word.

"Our girl is 4.5 weeks old at this point and I'm trying desperately to stabilize everything."

Give up now.:supergrin:

Seriously though, congrats! My son is 9 months old now and cooler every day. He was watching me doing squats last week and crawled over to participate. I picked him up for added resistance and he laughed the whole time.

10. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Thanks, you too. That's funny about the squats.

The other night, I wanted to do a bunch of bodyweight squats and she wouldn't go to sleep. I seriously considered holding her to add a little resistance, but then she zonked out. I'm sure I'll use that one sometime soon.

Just don't want to take the concept too far and use them for KB swings or wallball shots! :shocked:

11. proactive

proactive

12. California Jack

Not to brag or anything, but back in my late 20's I could do this for up to one hour at around 120 turns per minute. I usually trained at for 40 minutes. When I'd go up to an hour my calves would be SORE.

13. DBradD

DBradD Guest

That's awesome. I think I'll be happy if I can ever get 1/3 of that!

I wonder how jumping rope translates to running. One of my ideas of "fitness" is to be able to cover 3-5 miles in a reasonable amount of time, say 8 min./mile. I wonder if lots of jumping rope will be helpful. StairMastering certainly is not, but it's more different, I think.

14. California Jack

Rope jumping and a few sets of pushups pullups and situps were my entire workout.

15. DBradD

DBradD Guest

So how did that work out?

16. California Jack

Hmmm, tough question. I didn't really push the pushups, pull ups and situps. I didn't really get a lot of upperbody strength. I did work hard on the rope jumping though. I was fairly fit compared to my friends when playing volleyball, racquetball, basketball and softball. I was no cardion beast or anything. I was around 185 pounds at the time at 6'-2", so I guess I was skinny. However I guess some of that may be due to being in my 20's.

I don't know, knowing what I know now, I'd have increased the volume of the upperbody stuff and perhaps done some bodyweight squats. All in all it accomplished what I wanted.