close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Browser redirect

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bravo8, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Bravo8

Bravo8 Tattooed Freak

My mother-in-law is having some problems with her computer, and called me looking for help. I don't know what to tell her, so I turned to you all for some advice.

She says that everytime she attempts to type a URL in her address bar, she gets redirected to some search page (it says "Search4" and has a search box along with a bunch of links you can click on to search for popular topics), but the address bar shows "about:blank".

The a pop-up ad shows and says "Your computer has been infected by Spyware". It wants you to click on the window and it's an ad for some paid spyware removal (supposedly) program.

Neither window would allow her to right click and check the properties to get the actual address.

She claims she ran Spybot S&D, a virus check, and Ad-Aware,.......but no luck.

I haven't actually gone to look at her computer, so this is just what I've been told over the phone. Any advice as to what to look for when I do?

2. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

Run it yourself, and fix any problems found.

3. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

she has been hijacked. You need some software call "hijackthis". at least I think that is what it is called. I had the same problem and a budy of mine fixed it. Problem was the same, spyware, virus scanner, yadda yadda yadda. nothing else found it.

4. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Read the sticky at the top of this Tech Forum.