Browning O/U question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by XDRoX, Feb 26, 2010.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

I have an old Browning O/U.
    Is it suppose to only shoot once when you pull the trigger and then I need to move the switch to fire a second round?
    Or is it just suppose to shoot twice with two pulls without fideling with the switch on top?
    Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Murph33

Murph33

Two trigger pulls for two shots. The slide right below the lever that breaks open the action should have an (O) and a (U). These denote which barrel shoots first so you can have the appropriate choke in each barrel for bird hunting.

Edited to add: So no fiddling with the switch once you decide which barrel you want first and second shots to be.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010

3. XDRoX

XDRoX

Should it work like this without rounds in it, because right now I have to move the switch in order to get it to fire twice. Could something be wrong with it?

4. Murph33

Murph33

I cannot tell you for sure. I have never tried dry firing my 20Ga Citori or my 12Ga Cynergy. Maybe some of the wiser people on this great forum can chime in for you.

5. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

The recoil of the first fired shot sets it up to fire the second shot. It won't do it if you are only dry firing.

If you are dry firing, try pulling the trigger, then banging the stock on a carpeted floor, then pulling the trigger a second time.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  6. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Okay. You got it. Now you have to learn how it works.

The hammers are cocked when the action is opened and the barrels pivot the muzzle downward. They are held in place by sears. Since you only have one trigger (some of those Browning Superposed did have two) the trigger needs to have a way to act with both sears. This is done with two adjustments.

The first, which is manual (you can set it) allows you to choose which sear will be tripped first. In effect, which barrel fires first. This is incorperated in the safety. If you work the safety a little you will see that you can make it show either an "O" or a "U". That tells you which barrel will fire first.

The other item which is involved is the "interuptor"; basically a piece that is moved by the recoil of the gun from one position to another. And what it does is change which sear the trigger will trip.

When you fire the gun the trigger trips the first sear. The recoil moves the block from one sear to the next, and the trigger, when pulled the second time trips the remaining sear.

You can test this by insuring the gun is unloaded, and then pulling the trigger. one barrel will fire. If you pull the trigger again nothing happens, because nothing has moved the interuptor block to the other sear. Lightly tap the butt of the gun on the floor (simulating the recoil) and the other barrel should fire when the trigger is pulled.

A few Brownings also came with a "mechanical" trigger that did not require recoil to set the second barrel, but they are rare.

Enjoy!

7. Adjuster

Adjuster

That shotgun sounds very cool.