close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

brown trousers moment.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BEER, Aug 17, 2012.

1. BEER

BEER bad example

i'm tearing down one of the unlivable trailers on property for scrap and spare parts. i've already gutted the inside and now i'm working on taking off the aluminum siding. the way the trim is put up i'm having to start at the top and work my way down before i can get the big panels off.

so i'm up on the ladder 12 foot off the ground and it starts sprinkling out of nowhere. alright no biggy, i'll get these last few staples out, get this panel down and head in to wait it out.

then within about 5 minutes the sky goes black. i can't leave this panel hanging by just a couple of staples cause if the wind picks up it's going to turn into a giant razor sharp death frisbee.

then BOOM!! the first bolt of lightning hits a tree across the road maybe 25-30 yards from me. i realize that i'm on a metal ladder, leaning against a giant metal box, i'm wearing a tool belt full of metal objects, and i've got metal fence pliers in 1 hand and a crowbar in the other, and all of the above is now wet.

then another strike hits about a block up the road and i'm not sure but i might have peed a little. **** saving this crap! i literally beat a hole in the siding around the last two staples and came down off that ladder like a spider monkey on meth.

i head into the house, apparently white as a sheet and shucking tools and boots. Girl asked what's wrong and i told her apparently i finally managed to piss off God bad enough for him to take it personal. lol

i left my ipod and coffee mug out there but i'll just order replacements online, i aint going back out there, ever. lol

2. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Look on the bright side, the coffee mug is probably ok.

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm damn happy you weren't hurt my friend:phew:

4. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

well than. That is a shocking situation :tongueout: glad your okay.

5. token5gtd

token5gtd

Having had lightning strike close enough to me to stand up every hair on my body and feel the heat... I know how ya feel brother.

6. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Mobile homes attract lightening and tornadoes..........

7. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

Glad your ok. :cool:

I had a close one myself. Here in Central Florida it rains everyday during the summertime. Most of the time it is just rain but some days it is a thunder storm. Out playing golf with my buddy. A storm came up real quick and we were on the other side of the course so we camped out under the bathroom/shelter out there. It has a place to park the cart underneath the roof. Another cart joins us and we are sitting there just sipping a couple of coldies and we see the lightning start popping on the course. 200 feet away. Scary. No where to go.

All the sudden pow and flash. The loudest and brightest thing I have ever experienced. Lighting hit the corner of the building, traveled down to the concrete across the floor and back out.
    It caught the corner of the building on fire and blew part of the fascia off. Exploded the concrete where it went in and out.

As the OP said I thought I **** myself. No one was hurt. We were all freaked out though. Even fizzed our beers out. And in typical Florida fashion we were playing again in 15 minutes.

I was never afraid of lighting and still ain't but I do pay attention.

8. johnd

johnd

Glad you were ok, yes its loud. Was standing next to a guy who was hit at a BBQ some years ago here in Tampa, he was ok, we all were, his sneakers caught fire thats all.
    Im almost jealous of that experience. Reminded me of an artillery air burst with the instantaneous flash, bang and concussion.

9. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Don't mess with the Gods.

One time I had just stopped at a four way stop sign, when lighting struck an old Oak tree diagonally across the street from me. Damn, sure gets your attention when the trunk splits and steam comes pouring out.

I say: Yes sir, what color.

10. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Did you feel any of the voltage from the strike?

I witnessed a lightning strike on a fairgrounds once. The six people I was with all jumped up in the air at the same time. We felt a nice little 110v-ish shock.

11. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

And UFOs.

12. BEER

BEER bad example

nope, just heard and felt the boom and saw a brief pinkish sorta purple flash.

13. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

I was working as a pizza driver. Storming out. I came in soaking wet. Stood by the metal cutting table. Lightening hit outside the door. traveled thru the floor, up the table. Into my hand and knocked me up against the wall.

I had three entrance wounds in my hand. The holes bled for about a week.

The guy making pizzas said he saw lightening outside then saw it inside and me flying into the wall. :shocked:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012