Brother is Wanting a Colt 1911 45acp

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Glock 17L, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

A. Colt is the original. B. $850 is around the bottom end of 1911 prices. You can't go much lower than that and buy anything you'd be proud to own.

Because why not buy a low-end import from the Phillippines, when you want an American icon.:upeyes:

vba likes this.
  2. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

Longbow and Gray Dood like this.

3. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

Yes
    I have a gold cup and a newer competition model as well as a lightweight commander.
    The gc is actually the only one I've had a chance to shoot but it runs great once you put a good mag in it. Hundreds of My hand loads
    I run tripp cobras exclusively

4. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

I'm gonna show him those but yeah that isn't an American Icon as Bren said..
    I would imagine that the S&W M&P or a Glock is in His future but you never know what you'll see till you go out & look..
    I know him pretty darn well, We've been together before we were born.. He's My twin Brother..
    I told him last night that He could buy three of the polymer guns for what a Colt 1911 costs..
    Thanks for the replies..

5. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

The Smith's had issues

6. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Still wanting a 1911 platform, go w/ Ruger's 1911 SR series. Decent build, comes w/ some decent upgrades, and even thought the frame is cast, Ruger, of all manufacturers, knows casting very well. They can cast a very strong frame, and have no reports of any issues there-of, that I am aware of. Best buy for the money in 1911's, IMHO.
    As far a Phillipeno 1911's; They do make some really nice 1911's, but since there is no real MilSpec standard on 1911's, sometimes parts replacement on a Phillipeno 1911 can get to be a real pain due to dimensional problems. So if you want to upgrade one w/ parts, I recommend no. Leave it alone as an occasional shooter, then it's a consideration.

deputy tom likes this.
  7. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Because said person doesn't want to pay for it?? :upeyes:

deputy tom likes this.
  8. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

Could be said person doesn't have $850 & wants the best he can buy for the money we'll say $400..

BuckyP that write up on the G43 vs S&W M&P shield was great.

Now to let my Bro pick what he wants for the money he has available.. I just took him out to get some meds & groceries a while ago & he wasn't ready YET to stop at the LGS & pawn shops.. He's a smart man & wants what he wants..

deputy tom likes this.
  9. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I suggest joining www.1911addicts.com and reading up on different models. There are some great deals in their For Sale section also.

SWFlGuy and 1L26 like this.
  10. mc1911

mc1911

I say get a Colt. I had to have one genuine Colt. It will be the one gawked at years down the road.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  11. 9mmskng

9mmskng

Have a new, Series 70 Colt Competition Series 45, while the factory finish is subpar in my opinion, the gun is 100%, in EVERY mechanical way. Accuracy is awesome with NM bbl, FO front and adj Novak rear are a great combo, typical great 1911 trigger. WAY better than any 1991a1 pistol, for same price!

Gray Dood likes this.
  12. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

I would imagine that my brother will be looking hard at a S&W M&P Shield in either 9mm or 40 S&W..
    Possibly a Glock 43..
    The 1911 is out of the question because of price, If they where $300 like they used to be He would be looking at one of those.

13. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

Have you ever wanted a Corvette & bought a VW?? I have..
    And only had the money for the VW Too!!
    I bought a G26Gen4 but only because it was $399 with 1 magazine..
    I wouldn't have paid any more for it & would have went with the M&P myself..
    Said Person doesn't want to pay for it..
    No Because said person doesn't have the money & need funds for other things like living but still wants a quality carry weapon that could also be used for home protection too = M&P Shield
    I'm gonna guess that many different Glock #s will be coming when they start offering some of the newer guns in 40 S&W, 357 SIG, 45 Gap, 10mm, & 45acp
    Where as they now only seem to be making .380 & 9mms on the new guns..
    Nothing Else So Far.. That would be 25 new models = Glock 73..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  14. bubbatime

bubbatime

The Springfield Defender is $459. American made, forged frame, forged slide. Very good deal. They will stop selling the defender package in a few months, in which case that pistol will appreciate and be worth $650, which is the usual going rate for a Springfield milspec.

The defender is a limited time only sale. When they are gone, they are gone.

A forged frame American 1911 that works for $459? No brainer.

Macc283, vba, jmontgomery and 4 others like this.
  15. Sechott

Sechott

I've been considering the one at a LGS, even called Saturday to see if it was still there. You pretty much tipped the scale on me buying it Monday. Worthy of note; it comes with 1 mag, corrugate box and a lube sample. Obviously to keep the cost down.

Macc283 likes this.
  16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Doesn’t want to spend, or can’t afford, I wasn’t trying to imply anything. I made a serious statement concerning the Rock Island being a viable alternative, and was responding to a condescending comment, typical of that particular poster.

I think the Rock Island is worthy of a look, especially if the interest is in a 1911 pattern pistol. I never really thought anything of them, one way or another. However, several people have started showing up with them at matches recently, and so far they’ve been running pretty darn well.

Thank you for the compliment on my review.

Glock 17L and Sechott like this.
  17. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

It's all good BuckyP, And great Review, Everyone should read it.
    As I said before every 1911 I ever had was a Colt.
    And Can't afford is the answer, My Twin Brother had a stroke 16 months ago & hasn't been able to work & is now losing his house because of lack of house payments & the slow process of social security to help him, he has a court date now BUT??
    I've done all I can do as far as keeping his electric & water on plus making sure He has food for him & his dog but I'm strapped too.. I drive over to see him every day & take him what ever he needs but really he needs a sack of hundreds.
    His house was my parents, I grew up there from 1966 - 1984
    I gave up my part to him of the house so he could have a place to live & it hurts me like crazy to see him finally lose it but it's in the bank & courts hands now, he'll be homeless on Oct 15th.. Good thing is I have a few spare bedrooms in my attic & basement for him & his dog Missy..
    He's doing a short sale of the title in order to walk away with anything & that's where he's getting the money to get everything in order + a few things he needs/wants..
    I have been able to get him free health care + meds by going thru a few government agencies but that took over a year to make happen..
    I will show him the Rock Island Armory 1911s

vba and Gary1911A1 like this.
  18. johns961

johns961

Me too. Actually mine cost a little more. this was 1980. But, those days are gone forever.
    Everything cost more now. And that's just the way it is.

John!

Glock 17L likes this.
  19. johns961

johns961

Your a good brother. You two hang in there. Sounds like your brother has a good head on his shoulder. He will select what is good for him. Good luck to both of you.

Glock 17L likes this.
  20. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

Thanks johns961
    I didn't even go bye & see him today..
    I will tomorrow though.. I needs to PM him on facebook..

I was wore out from The Kenny Wayne Shepard & Buddy Guy Concert Saturday night.. But went bye his house Sunday afternoon.. I was tired..

+ Today was my Youngest Sons birthday He's 28, We got him an Apple Tablet & I repaired his fretless bass & got some new flat wound strings for it.. Wha!!
    It's a 1995 JPB7 Jackson Professional Fretless #J50005, The 5th one made & possibly the only fretless in existence came from the German Musikmesse..

Borg Warner likes this.